Rabbit's IFComp 2026 Reviews

It’s IFComp, and for the first time in a while, I think I’m in a mentally good place for it? My job hasn’t been so stressful lately, I’ve had a week off work, I’ve caught up with beloved friends, and I’ve got no major life events on the horizon (that I know of). We’ll see how long this good mood lasts, but I’m really hoping I can get though more of the ballot than usual this time!

I usually use the Personal Shuffle to randomise what game I play next. I may skip ahead if the next game is 2 hours but I only have 15 minutes, or something similar, but I’ll circle back. I’ll post the date(s) I played each game, how I played it (i.e. online or offline) and what my playtime and score were, in case these influence my review (e.g. if I was affected by a bug that was fixed on 3rd September because I played the game on the 2nd September). No scores in my reviews because I’m indecisive.

What the heck, let’s do my index in alphabetical order for a change:

9 Days in a Van with your 3 Best Friends (Nathan Leigh and Nicole Orabona)
Ass in the Woods (Alice Vartevanian)
Bob the Barbarian (Charles Moore)
The Copper Tavern (Alexander)
The Count and the Communist (Tristan Pun)
Epistemophilia (Mehmetcan Serinkaya)
The Flourishing (somnauta)
Galilee Bones and the Juggernaut of Jordan (Phil Riley)
The Last Voyage of the Warsaw Queen (Charles M Ball)
Live and Get Pie (Tame Spond/ee)
Logic Land (Rybread)
MAD WARRIOR (SnackSoft)
Meet the timesheet (Garrulus (aka Jay))
New Captain (Joshua Kaden)
Postgrad. Chapter one (beta) (Smith Geursen)
Quackpond (Quackpond Admins)
The Rat (Daniel M. Stelzer)
El Ruido (Jen Lee)
SCAVS (David Hunter)
Shadow and Ink (Stewart C Baker and Aidan Doyle)
The Two Seasons: Encounter With a Vampire (Andrew Apted)
Under Loch (Mertie MacLeod)
The Very Last Night I Spent at Ethelred Estate (Kai DeJesus)
Wild Ride to Earth (Cavaris)

13 Likes

Shadow and Ink (Stewart C Baker and Aidan Doyle)

Played on: 2nd September
How I played it: Online via the IFComp ballot, using Firefox
How long I spent: 55 mins to find multiple endings

Books! Have you heard of these things? They’re not just for decorating your coffee table anymore. Sometimes there’s words in them too. I imagine quite a lot of people who play text games enjoy books, but it feels to me like we don’t see that overlap explored in IF very often outside of the odd Alice in Wonderland reference. I’m sure there’s loads of examples, but I’m blanking on them. I certainly can’t think of another game like Shadow and Ink, where our primary mode of progression and puzzle resolution is through the power of a good book.

We’re dragged out of the river into a village inspired by Japanese legends and culture. Our rescuer, an old willow tree, wants us to help the villagers by creating books to solve their problems. Each book is created with paper, ink, and one or two items from around the village. For example, we might bind a book with a katana to create the Bumper Book of 1001 Ronin Tales (that’s not a real example but it’s not too far off). What follows is a simple puzzle adventure where we manage our supplies of paper and ink, pick up everything that’s not nailed down, produce books and pass them on to the cursed villagers to cure them.

It’s a very easy-going puzzle adventure. There’s nothing difficult or obscure, and the Twine implementation lets you lawnmower through your options anyway. Whenever I hit a dead end, I was able to go back through the map until I found a new unclicked link to pick up the trail again. Maybe you can get into a bit of trouble if you run out of paper and ink before you make the book you need next, but this never happened to me and you always have the option to unmake a book to get your paper and ink back. I didn’t mind the low difficulty at all, though. I thought it was nice of the Personal Shuffle to start me off with a gentle one to warm up.

And the low difficulty don’t mean Shadow and Ink is dull. It’s kept alive with some solid writing and excellent presentation. The game is backed by a selection of Japanese-inspired music tracks which set the tone without being intrusive in themselves. The sound is a little buggy, unfortunately – the blurb on the ballot already mentions the issue with overlapping music tracks, but the music doesn’t seem to loop either, so you may have to manually restart it from the options – but it’s still appreciated. So too is the art which decorates the game and its menus, selected from some quite beautiful Japanese prints.

The scenario is well-designed, a little theme-park tour of Japanese iconography with a simple but slightly frightening storyline woven throughout and a choice of endings which are mostly well-integrated with the story’s themes of redemption and mutual aid. (I’m not too fond of the secret ending, which feels a touch cheap to me, but it’s clearly a joke ending so I’ll let it go.) The moment-to-moment writing is lovely too. For example, I really like this early excerpt, which captures the tone of an old legend with a relatively tight economy of words:

This was once the home of the legendary kendo master, Ishikawa Daisuke. After single-handedly defeating ten rival swordsmen, Ishikawa boasted that only his own shadow was a worthy opponent. His shadow accepted the challenge and they fought a duel. Such was Ishikawa’s speed that he beheaded his own shadow. Ishikawa proclaimed himself the greatest master of the sword who had ever lived.

His glory was only fleeting. Soon he was claiming that shadows everywhere were conspiring against him. A week later he was found dead with frozen shadows stuffed into his mouth.

That’s a very cool little ghost story to throw in. Also, Shadow and Ink has some nice jokes. The owl pawnbroker who keeps trying to sell you his pellets is a very good bit, as is the composer whose music is buggy in a different way.

The one big omission I’d question is that you never get to read any of the books you bind - you can only give them away, unbind them, or very occasionally examine them to get a score for certain sub-goals. Maybe this is just me holding my bowl out and asking for more flavour text and jokes, but considering that some literary quotes seen late in Shadow and Ink (from Kenkō, Le Guin and Borges) celebrate books as a mode of connection to the thoughts and lives of others, it feels odd that we can never interact with the books as objects of art, only as objects with instrumental value for our progression. (To be fair, though, the walkthrough is provided in-game by a leaflet in your inventory. I guess that counts. It’s a very nice and detailed walkthrough too, including a map.)

Shadow and Ink doesn’t get too carried away with a love of literature, mind. A handful of characters acknowledge that they’re beyond the help of any book. As for the rest, the game is quite tongue-in-cheek; most of the books appear to be bizarre self-help tomes, helping their readers in a very direct way. No one here is being uplifted by reading Borges. I’m not the best at literary analysis but Shadow and Ink’s approach to its themes seems to me to be as easy-going as its puzzle design. Again, I have no complaints about that, really – I appreciate how gentle the game is in many of its aspects. A good start to my IFComp and a very pleasant read, far easier than all that classic literature I told myself I’d read someday.

11 Likes

Logic Land (Rybread)

Played on: 2nd Sept
How I played it: Downloaded and run through Stella 7.0
How long I spent: 35 minutes to see the text “YOU WON”

I will leave it to more knowledgeable, longer established members of the IF community to determine whether this is the Rybread Celsius of early IFComp fame or just a pretender to the throne. Either way, it’s lovely to see the name on the ballot, and it’s nice to have an excuse to engage with the retro-computing side of the IF world, something I really haven’t dabbled in before.

Logic Land is a ROM file for Atari 2600. I have no idea what it takes to run this on a real Atari, and I don’t own one anyway, so I followed the blurb’s advice and ran the game through the Stella emulator. What follows is decidedly retro, both in hardware and in design sensibilities: a small, surreal text adventure with terse descriptions and a decently-sized map. The “gimmick” is that the puzzles and inventory are themed around famous thought experiments. Zeno’s Paradox puts in an appearance, for example, as does the Ship of Theseus. It feels like a tiny demake of A Beauty Cold and Austere.

It took me a few minutes to work out how to control this one. Instead of free text input, the player switches between two menus to interact. You can hold down an arrow key and press Space to move between rooms, or you can just press Space to select Look. This brings up an extra description of the room and more options like a Use command and a Take command. It’s not the most intuitive, but once you get your head around it it’s fine.

Once you get going, this isn’t a bad little puzzlebox! It may help if you know what thought experiments each puzzle is referencing, but for the most part there’s enough good in-game hinting that you can get by – even with the very small amount of text printed per room, Rybread’s careful to repeat certain phrases to allow you to make links between separate rooms and objects. There’s no walkthrough provided but if you get stuck, the limited set of commands can be brute-forced without much issue to get going again.

There’s one set of puzzles which were difficult for me, but in an unusual way which I kind of appreciate after the fact. Puzzle spoilers follow:

Puzzle spoilers

So the black swan is baffling to me. The puzzles where it’s a solution never made sense to me, and I usually only found them with brute force. I was racking my brains trying to make sense of the puzzles in hindsight, wondering where the hints were, especially since most other puzzles are well-clued. Then I looked it up and learned that a Black Swan Theory is an attempt to make unexpected events make sense in retrospect, sometimes committing the fallacy of assuming everything can be predicted. I accidentally Black Swanned myself with the black swan. That’s pretty funny. Don’t do it again, please.

I find myself trying to evaluate Logic Land as a work of programming as well as a work of art. This is dangerous as I know nothing about the Atari or Stella, so I’ll caveat everything that follows by saying that any issues I had could be down to the limitations of the original hardware, an imperfect emulation in Stella, my computer not running Stella correctly, or just a good old-fashioned skill issue on my part. I’ve got no way of telling!

As I’ve hinted, there’s very little text per room in Logic Land, presumably to keep within the Atari memory limit (which I understand was around 4kb per game, holy moly. Apparently you can do tricks to get that up to 64kb but that’s still not much!). The constraints make a lot of the usual text adventure flaws here more forgivable. I would like to see room exits listed so that I’m not hammering all the walls looking for the next room, and I’d like descriptions to change when a room state changes or when you pick up an item, but there may just not be enough space in the file for such niceties! There’s also a secret(?) room which declares “BUGS AND LIMITS EXIST. HAVE FUN. SOME TEXT WON’T CHANGE. RYBREAD OUT.” It’s somehow more acceptable when the game lays out the rules of engagement like that.

But I have to say, the actual playing of Logic Land – not the puzzles, but the experience of interacting with the game – was pretty annoying. I had a recurring problem with double-presses, where the game would skip an option I was trying to select in a menu because it thought I had pressed a key twice. (I don’t think it’s a fault with my keyboard – I haven’t had this issue in any other application which uses the arrow keys.) Worse yet, the text flickers quite badly at times, as if something about the vertical sync is off. At times, the text is flickering so much that it’s barely readable. Again, I need to admit that this may be down to the emulation or my computer rather than the game itself, or maybe this is just how the Atari 2600 was. But it did impact my experience with the game.

At its core, though, beyond that layer of interaction, Logic Land is a lovely little puzzle game. It’s a bit trickier than the 15 minutes billed playtime in my opinion, but it’s peaceful and fun, and I think it’s great to see properly-retro games like this get a place in IFComp. I can only speak as somebody who wasn’t around for Rybread’s first visits to the Comp, but it’s good to have him around again.

11 Likes

Thanks for the lovely write-up and I’m glad you enjoyed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Count and the Communist (Tristan Pun)

Played on: 3rd Sept
How I played it: Downloaded and ran the index.html file through Firefox
How long I spent: 2 hours to see most(?) of Act I

Last year, I made the decision not to rush entries which were billed as longer than two hours. This is because “longer than two hours” could mean anything from two to twenty hours, so there’s no guarantee that I’ll reach an ending even if I power through with the solution open. I’d prefer to take my time to really appreciate the entries. So this means that I enjoyed my time with The Count and the Communist, but unfortunately have no idea how it plays out as a puzzle game or as an espionage adventure, having not even completed Act I out of III. Sorry! I’m slow!

Instead, I’ll focus most of my attention here on the implementation, which is stellar. Tristan Pun has coaxed Inform 7 into outputting an ASCII art interface, so that instead of plain text we have a full HUD including a map, a list of commands, the time of day, and occasional cutaways to other art scenes for dialogue and certain interactions. This means the actual text component has to be integrated into the ASCII art without distorting it, while keeping to strict text size limits. It’s incredible to me that this has been accomplished with no bugs that I spotted. (Although since the plain text and the ASCII art is all part of the same output, I’m a little curious if this game plays nicely with screen readers.)

The text also must account for a handful of roaming NPCs, and print sensible descriptions that tells you precisely what they’re doing (for this is a stealth game, where many of the actions we can take need to be done without anybody noticing). For example, here’s three NPCs in the same room:

The housekeeper arrives from the east wing corridor. Meanwhile, the cook heads towards the east wing corridor, whereas the maid walks out of the room.

I’ve wrangled multiple NPCs before in Inform 7, and it’s difficult. And I wasn’t even dealing with autonomous NPCs following their own movement patterns. Kudos for getting this looking right.

The Count and the Communist overhauls the standard text adventure gameplay too. Our interface shows us the commands we can take, including some non-standard espionage-y ones like “hide” (which will have our character hide in the room if possible – useful if we get trapped somewhere we shouldn’t be) and “peek” (through a keyhole, for example). They are all activated with single-character commands; for example, we enter “P” to peek, and then select the entrance we want to peek through from a numbered list. The inventory is a separate menu with its own set of commands.

This is somehow more and less difficult than the standard text parser. It will be great for people who don’t like text parsers – the author says something about this interface not forcing people to remember the “code” for each command, and it’s true that this approach largely avoids guess-the-verb issues (though not entirely – it took me a while to realise that wearing clothes was implemented in this game as “combining” clothes with oneself). It’s always nice to know exactly what your options are and be able to trust that you won’t be caught out by an obscure word. But I found there was a lot of cognitive overhead here as somebody who’s used to parsers. For example, to drop a laundry basket you’re carrying, you press I and enter for the inventory menu, D and enter to activate the drop verb, 1 (or whatever number) and enter to select the basket, 1 and enter to continue from the description of dropping the laundry basket (or the failure message if the game stops you doing it), and I and enter to close the inventory again. Funny thing is that this is fewer keystrokes than entering “drop basket”, but because you’re navigating a bunch of menus and having to inspect them to ensure you’re selecting the right inventory item from the numbered list, it feels like more work. I don’t know if this is solvable or just the trade-off for removing the text parser from the game, and I’m sure I’d get used to it if I had more than two hours to spend on judging the game, but I still found myself wanting to just type “drop basket”. (I wonder if removing the need to hit the enter key as with Arthur DiBianca’s Vambrace of Destiny would help? It wouldn’t remove the menus, but it might make interaction a touch more fluid.)

I probably ought to mention the actual contents of The Count and the Communist. We’re the Communist, who has been sent very shortly after the Russian Revolution to investigate whether the mysterious Count of a French estate is a member of the exiled Russian bourgois borgeiosie bourgourse rich class, and if so, whether he’s behaving himself or whether he’s planning on a counter-Revolution. Going undercover in his household staff as the new washerwoman, we do our daily chores while covertly pumping our fellow servants for information, spying through keyholes, and sneaking into off-limits areas.

I’m not willing to speak to how the game handles its historical politics as I’ve basically only played a quarter of the game, but our political player character is a fun one, quietly observant during gameplay and reflective during interstitials while she handles the laundry.

As I finish folding this morning’s clothes, my thoughts return to new technologies… Will the world continue to progress at this pace? Will it stagnate once the capitalist class has stopped inventing? After all, why seek innovation when you can sell what already exists?..

When that happens, it will be up to the workers to invent. No longer for profit, but for the progress of humanity. I believe it will be much better.

The Communist must be getting very impatient by now.

The actual gameplay is very nice, and another beneficiary of the wonderful implementation. The Count and the Communist is kind to the clumsier players among us, and it will stop us doing silly things like walking directly into an off-limits area in sight of other characters or dropping items in places we shouldn’t be. I think it would have been perfectly fine and understandable to not have these safety rails and let the player drive themselves straight off the cliff, but they are appreciated and they reduce a great deal of potential frustration. The puzzles seem pretty solid too – I got stuck on one and needed to check the walkthrough, but that was my fault rather than the puzzle (I was visualising a particular item as part of another thing, rather than as something that could be picked up).

The Count and the Communist is absolutely on the list of games to get back to someday. I always say this when I hit a good game longer than 2 hours, and I almost never do. But I will, someday. Promise.

12 Likes

The Flourishing (somnauta)

Played on: 4th September
How I played it: Downloaded and ran on Windows
How long I spent: 55 minutes for one playthrough

I’ve had a bit of trouble collecting my thoughts on The Flourishing. You might notice from my reviews that I’m a very literal-minded person, so games which are more abstract often throw me. Please forgive me if I’m way off-base with what I took from The Flourishing – I think I’ve got the gist of it but I’m sure all sorts of things passed me by, and because I think it’s a tone piece as much as a story, I don’t want to spend too much time “solving” it. I think it’s deliberately vague in some aspects to let the player bring themselves to the art and provide space for reflection. (At least I hope so, because if it’s saying exactly what it means, I really am stupid.)

In the most literal recounting of events, we’re a performer who travels for work, visiting our mother for the first time in a long time. We have plenty of time for introspection and conversations with ourselves. As the story continues, however, things get more abstract; we cut to scenes with no clear sense of time or place – a flash flood, a conversation on a park bench – our imaginary(?) conversation partner asserts themselves more, and we build to a disorienting climax.

Let’s just stick to the nuts and bolts of The Flourishing for now. This is a 3D game made in the Godot engine, giving it a strong visual identity. The base colour is black with peach outlines and the occasional smattering of red. Objects and buildings are identifiable but humans are represented eerily, not quite as stick figures but more like circulatory systems, as if they’re being seen as flesh and blood rather than as people. With this, we get a handful of first-person free movement scenes, although these get more linear in the back half of the game.

Despite those scenes, this is primarily a text-based game. Text is printed in all manner of ways, sometimes simply on the screen and sometimes as part of the environment, playfully integrated with the camera’s point of view. Some of this text is synced up with visual effects and events, which means we hit the old timed-text problem here, but there are text speed options in the menu accessed by pressing the Escape key which may alleviate this. (I didn’t check because I forgot the menu was there.) Timed text doesn’t bother me so much, but I wish there was a visual indicator for when the game is waiting for the player’s input. Occasionally I got stuck waiting around for the next paragraph to appear, not realising that I now needed to click through.

The writing is a bit hard to talk about without spoilers and before examining the themes of The Flourishing more, but I do want to talk about it here, because I’m in two minds about it and the criticism may seem a little unkind. The writing is at its best when it’s elliptical and poetic. We are largely given the emotional state of the player character through allegory and vibes, and the poetry is very good at that. The best is saved for the last couple of minutes of the game, but here’s a slightly earlier example:

As quietly determined as a child building castles in the sand, I’d build mine in the sky, but I never stopped to question whether sand is the appropriate material. And when the heavy rains laid siege upon the ramparts, I paid them no heed. Eventually, the walls gave and the water started streaming in.

(Any typos are mine – I transcribed this from a screenshot.) It’s a good metaphor, it’s evocative, it expresses a sense of self-loathing without saying so outright, and it works in a wry sense of humour.

But The Flourishing is less successful when it comes to conversations, especially those the player character has with himself. I’m having a bit of trouble phrasing this – earlier drafts of this review have been unnecessarily picky because it happens to be about a style of writing that bugs me. The conversations can get very long, spanning several screens of text, and they’re very snarky, but they don’t deliver any actual jokes or tell us much about the character. They can feel very cliché. To be mean for just a second, there are a couple of self-referential lines (e.g.” I’m talking to myself in a mirror. I can’t quite tell if this is a testament to my playfulness or an indication of profound loneliness.”) which are not far removed from the “did you just x” style of quip that gets tiresome quickly. There’s a late scene that uses a lot of old-hat horror writing tropes for a couple of paragraphs (“itburnsitburnsitburns” and the like), and it’s a shame because it overplays and undercuts a pretty good visual reveal.

That said, I think I understand the purpose of these self-conversations, as part of the broader themes of The Flourishing. To state what’s obvious from playing the game, there’s an emphasis on performances throughout, both to the outside world and to ourselves. We see this in our conversations with the mirror, our visitations to theatres, and even in the blurb (whose rambling about the number 7 wearing “a mask of agreeableness” does not seem to be literally relevant to the game’s content, unless I really missed something). It’s in the title – “Flourishing” has a double meaning as both growth and performance. The player character wears a “mask of agreeableness” in conversation with other characters, but monologues and asides bubble unexpectedly with self-loathing (especially in the potential aftermath of a conversation with your mother about her smoking habit) and an inability to take oneself seriously, leading to an inability to confront an ugly truth lying forgotten somewhere at the back of the mind. The player character quips and snarks because it’s easier than full-on emotional honesty.

I take my cues from the content warning in the blurb when I say that this speaks to an experience of trauma and suppression. I’m lucky enough not to have had this experience, so I’ll be interested in reading reviews from people more familiar with the matter, should they be willing to share. I don’t think we learn the exact nature of what the player character is trying not to relive (nor is it important, really), but “the point of impact” is a recurring metaphor, as is the imagery of flooding and escaping water. Other than these oblique hints we skirt around the subject while the player character changes the subject, but it’s always present. I like the visual metaphor throughout of a mountain that’s in the background of most scenes, which we learn is called Melancholy Hill – it’s distant but we see its silhouette throughout the game, outlined in red, threatening to obscure the moon. It is always looming, always a monumental presence.

The Flourishing is not for me, and I don’t think I’m well-equipped to analyse it. I’m hoping I’ve done it justice though, because there are players who this will really speak to, and I’d like it to find its audience.

8 Likes

Hi there and thanks for taking the time to write up this detailed review!

If there is lack of absolute understanding, it is either working as intended, or I have failed to utilise ambiguity in a way that causes just enough friction so as to invite connections and interpretations to sprout on their own in the reader’s mind. I guess it depends on which way the scales tip. In theory, with enough abstraction and omission, meaning (that might have nothing to do with my own) is created in the play between material and interpreter. That’s the dream, at least.

I should be very sorry if said friction ends up causing more frustration than it opens space for interpertation. In the spirit of the unkind interlocutor, I might accuse myself of being a bit too lazy and solipsistic, and that’s not particularly generous towards the reader.

But… I’m not feeling unkind today. I’m really happy I got this game out! :smiley:

You are correct in seeing it as a tone piece. At least, that’s the intention. In the end, if emotional states read and potentially strike a chord, then I’m already happy. The story, including the conversations and whatever chronological or factual ambiguities, is, at least for me, primarily a vehicle for emotion.

Thanks also for the comments about text-flow! I am in the middle of working on a patch to fix just that issue.

Anyway, I once again thank you very kindly for playing the game and sharing your thoughts on it! It is food for thought for future endeavours and, as such, much appreciated!

Best,
Sreten

2 Likes

The Last Voyage of the Warsaw Queen (Charles M Ball)

Played on: 5th September
How I played it: Downloaded, ran the .gblorb file through Windows Git
How long I spent: 1hr 40 for a good ending, 85/85 points, 5/11 achievements

What I like about the blurb of The Last Voyage of the Warsaw Queen is that it looks like it’s going to be a historical simulation a la 1893: A World’s Fair Mystery, right up until the content warning hits you with “supernatural horror”. It’s a great concept, setting a horror story on board an old paddleboat – nowhere to go unless you can outswim anything that’s coming for you. But I think it’s the historical side, the setting and interaction, where Last Voyage shines.

The quick summary is that as we do a spot of historical research on our great-great-grandfather, we get ourselves whisked away to the Warsaw Queen, the boat where he and every other passenger are about to meet their ends in a horrific fire. So we’ve got that hanging over our heads, but we can still make time to explore the Queen, which has been implemented with much attention to detail. Quite a few rooms are unused as far as I’m aware but exist in-game because they’d be vital to the operation of the ship. Our fellow passengers seem to be reasonably period-accurate too, and move around the ship of their own accord between story beats, helping the Queen feel like a living place. It’s not entirely historically accurate – an apologetic foreword addresses the absence of representations of slavery and racism in the work. At least it’s infinitely preferable to the traditional Lovecraftian approach to racism.

That bit above is in spoiler tags because it’s a tip-off to what’s really happening on board the Warsaw Queen, so we may as well talk about the story and the writing. This has a fairly standard structure for a horror puzzler, where your investigations and research and general nosiness slowly reveal a darker truth. You may get an inkling of what flavour of horror you’re in for during the first few scenes. Last Voyage is pretty straightforward in that regard, but many of the NPCs wandering the ship have their own side stories which you dip in and out of – the card-sharp who you can catch shaving his deck, for example, or the unscrupulous showman who’s keeping an alligator in the cargo hold. Juggling the stories provides a constant flow of little bits of intrigue and keep the game bubbling along even when there’s not currently much momentum in the central story.

There is a lovely twist on the formula, though, which is that we are not exactly on board the Warsaw Queen. As a guest in this time period, we find that we can’t see our reflection in mirrors, and other passengers don’t seem to acknowledge us unless they are forced to. There’s a puzzle partway through where we interfere in a backroom card game and are apparently acknowledged as a compatriot, only for another character to be thanked for the interference shortly thereafter. Are we a fellow passenger or a ghost? This can be a small issue in one or two spots – for example, it’s not clear why the lieutenant will stop us going to the pilot house but not the crew quarters directly next door, an inconsistency which makes our quantum state look more like a puzzle contrivance than a paranormal occurrence. Outside of that, however, I think our spectrality is a very clever idea. We may or may not be at risk of perishing on the Warsaw Queen, but either way we can only take on the role of horrified observer, knowing what’s going to happen and seeing the dominoes starting to fall and desperately trying to stop them.

Stopping them falling is a little bit tricky, as it happens. Last Voyage’s puzzle design is, again, straightforward but nicely put together. The puzzles are generally the medium-sized dry goods type, where we hunt for everyday objects and then use them in fairly natural ways. This is completely fine, and probably the best choice for a historically grounded game. There are plenty of optional puzzles and other things to do, which don’t directly contribute to your goal but which net you a few achievements and are pleasing in their own right (I liked being able to free the alligator, and also quite enjoyed the predictable bad ending you get for freeing a hungry alligator without due preparation). The in-game hint system is solid but could do with a little more sanity checking – when I got stuck and used the hints, I got hints for two different puzzles, one of which I couldn’t access until I solved the puzzle, and I mistook them for two hints for the same puzzle, leading to a great deal of confusion until I tried the walkthrough instead. (It was my fault, by the way – I’d missed an inventory item in plain sight.)

I always worry that a review like this is demining with faint praise, calling things straightforward and simple. I didn’t mind any of that at all in Last Voyage. Games like this are always welcome to me, classic puzzle boxes with a good concept and good detail work around the edges.

7 Likes

Thank you for the review! I’m sorry the hint system did not do you well. It was a challenge to design it properly when, at one point, you can choose between 2 ways to advance the story. I tried for something progressively helpful, and not too complicated; but I think a more complicated device was warranted, so instead what’s there can be more confusing than helpful at times. I shall have to revisit it.

-Charles

1 Like

No problem! Strikes me that a transcript would be helpful - here it is:

TRANSCRIPT.txt (236.1 KB)

The bit I’m on about is lines 3928 to 3932 - I’ve missed that the cigarettes are easily available in the lower deck, so when I read these two hints together I take them to mean that I give the love note to Pilot Kruse in exchange for the cigarettes, so I wander around for a bit looking for him without realising that I can’t get to him without the cigarettes in the first place!

Put this down to user error, if you like - I should have spotted the cigarettes, and I should have reasoned that the pilot is probably in the inaccessible Pilot House.

1 Like

Wild Ride to Earth (Cavaris)

Played on: 5th September
How I played it: Online via the IFComp ballot
How long I spent: 55min for two playthroughs (one purposeful, one whimsical)

Everybody has a price. I’d like to think that mine is quite high. If I was whisked away to outer space and discovered a whole universe of intelligent life, it would be a dream come true and I would have thought nothing would convince me to come back. Well, it turns out my price is $156.4million or less, because that’s the incentive for beating the clock and getting back to Earth as fast as possible in Wild Ride to Earth.

In this Choicescript game, we’re trying to get back to Earth to collect our winning lottery ticket before it expires, having gotten ourselves abducted by aliens on the very day we won the lottery, a convergence of events so incredibly unlikely that we should buy another lottery ticket. The most obvious way is a taxi, which requires credits, the currency of this galaxy. We hop from planet to planet (which also costs credits) and we take jobs to earn money and network with aliens, but each job takes time. Time is measured in Time Units (TUs), each TU is about 10 days, and we have about 300 days to collect our ticket, so that’s 30 TUs to play with. We also have a health bar for the more dangerous jobs, and a prestige bar to measure our reputation.

So this is a strategy/exploration game, a little bit like a condensed Superluminal Vagrant Twin. Despite the time limit, it’s a pretty relaxed experience. As the blurb says, you can play it “whimsically or purposefully” and in fact you don’t need to make the time limit at all - you can spend as much time as you like bumbling around the galaxy, and the only effect is some different ending text. The lottery ticket is just an optional challenge, really.

With a little luck, it’s not too hard to collect your winnings - in my first playthrough I made it in 24 minutes with TUs to spare (at the cost of not seeing some of the planets). The only real worry in that regard is that time is a surprisingly precious resource, and you can fritter it away very easily (especially if, like me, you missed the bit in the guide you’re given at the start of the game that says one TU is 10 days). There are occasional time sinks that may be unpleasant surprises for the purposeful player, such as at least one interaction that springs four TUs of waiting on you. On the other end of the scale, I didn’t find much use for the prestige mechanic at all - I haven’t seen every option in the game so it’s possible I kept missing chances to throw my weight around, but I didn’t notice anything it affected in two playthroughs.

We make progress mainly through jobs, self-contained storylets scattered throughout the galaxy. These are all pretty good, I think! Some are more trivial than others, but some hide secret jobs within them with much higher risks but much higher rewards, giving you the opportunity to push your luck. The best jobs are the ones where you take a particular role, like the spa job where you need to flatter the aliens while hiding that you work there. Jobs like this take the form of a series of mini dialogue puzzles, where the challenge is to dodge the options that blow your cover. They’re funny scenarios and I enjoyed the way that Wild Ride to Earth tries to trip you up in these.

The whole game is pretty funny, actually. The alien design and the worldbuilding must have been a ton of fun, as shown by the vibrant cartoony drawings that introduce each location and character, and just a little bit of lore. There’s some politicking going on for the attentive player who can try to exploit it (e.g. the faction who hates the local inter-galactic megacorp and who will shun you if they see you wearing their merchandise). But also, I just think the jokes are good!

You’re greeted by a silver-haired alien that is all smiles. On further inspection, not ALL smiles. But he does have four - two in the front and one on each side.

In the center, a large red square has been painted on the floor with “rebellious robots” in a sign above it. No robots are in the square, but there are several on the edges.

Lovely stuff! Wild Ride to Earth is really charming, and tickles an itch I have for stat-building exploration games. I love that IFComp encourages people to produce games like this. And I don’t even have to pay any of my millions of dollars for it!

9 Likes

Quackpond (Quackpond Admins)

Played on: 6th September
How I played it: Online via the IFComp Ballot
How long I spent: 20 mins to reach an ending

Yeah, kid, I was in the Forum Wars. See this scar? Got this by panicking during a game of online Mafia and begging to quit. Saw one of my best friends flamed by a user who turned out to be a moderator’s sockpuppet account. I was on Something Awful back in the day. I’ve seen things you wouldn’t believe. The things that man could do to his…

So anyway, here’s Quackpond. It’s a very rudimentary Neopets-like for those of us who love ducks. Make an account and a password (locally - I’m pretty sure we’re not connecting to an actual server), choose your favourite duck, and tend to its needs. One button feeds it, the other button plays with it. The game’s simple, but it’s cute. Good stuff! Interactive fiction can be anything you want it to be.

But of course, the content warning on the blurb indicates there’s something a little more intense going on, and we find it on the forum. We can chat to our fellow duck fans and the admins of Quackpond here, and all seems to be going swimmingly (haha), until a troll hits up the forum. So Quackpond is actually a story about digital community, where we watch a harrowing situation play out, and also we have a duck to feed.

I’m being a little flippant, but framing Quackpond as a virtual pet game is a clever trick. Feeding and playing with your duck is how you pass time in the game, causing new posts to appear. You have a miniature gameplay loop of tending to your duck, then checking in on the forum to see what’s new. It’s that quintessential internet experience of carrying on and minding your own business while the guys next to you tear each other apart. A nice touch is that you can type in your own posts in a free text field sometimes, after telling the game whether you’re doing one thing or the other. I don’t know if the game is looking for any keywords and responding appropriately, but I think it makes sense even if it isn’t – you’re just one more voice in the background chatter of these guys’ confrontation.

I’m very carefully avoiding the word “drama” here, which has a certain amount of baggage to me, suggesting arguments which are some combination of overblown, spectacular, melodramatic, and really funny to read. Quackpond is decidedly more serious and down-to-earth. Its reveal is a little upsetting. It feels more realistic than most actual internet drama does. The in-game community is written well to accentuate it - none of them are especially gimmicky (well, not many of them) but instead react in a low-key and generally sensible fashion. I appreciated that our fellow posters are largely unanimous in their disgust towards a certain individual in the late stages of the game - that matches my experience of real situations like this, where people can generally see what’s going on and do the right thing.

My big criticism is that I think the game is too condensed - I understand that it’s meant to represent weeks or months, but in real time it moves very rapidly and there aren’t enough separate forum threads before the shit hits the fan. You don’t get much time to get to know the community and build an emotional stake in any of it. Quackpond might benefit from just a little more preamble to help establish the setting. As a quality of life feature I’d also like new posts to be highlighted as on forums - it’s easy to miss replies in old threads.

And then… (ending spoilers follow…)

And then the admins shutter the site and it’s all gone. You’re dumped to a page that reads “ERROR 410: GONE”, no forums, no duck, nothing. That’s the part that’s really stuck with me. A long time ago, I stumbled into a chatroom run by an American college student, and got to know him and the others pretty well, or well enough to not be chased out of there. And then one day the site was just gone, replaced with a notice from the American student saying he’d gotten into trouble for a brawl, and that the police had taken an interest in the guy’s blog posts so it all had to go. This was a time before Discord, so my contact with everyone was severed immediately. I still wonder what really happened there (with hindsight I get the impression that the student had done much worse than he let on). This has happened again and again, and it will happen again and again. I still miss Cohost. But this is just part of digital culture - it all goes away, sometimes slowly and sometimes suddenly. It sucks to lose spaces like this forum, but it will happen. That sense of inevitable loss is what I took from Quackpond. You found a safe space, and made a few friends, and then it became a troubled space, and then it was gone. I’m glad I got to say goodbye to the other members of Quackpond this time.

Anyway, good game. What’d you call your duck? Mine’s Billiam.

12 Likes

This is a great help, thank you!

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah the interface isn’t the best, but it’s the engine i used, but wanted to see if i could make abstraction work on a few levels, glad you could get through it, even the bonus puzzle! This was 8k not the normal 4k, so allowed a bit more space, though the ram remains the same, super limited.

1 Like

SCAVS (David Hunter)

Played on: 6th September
How I played it: Online via the IFComp ballot
How long I spent: 1hr 25mins to save two lives and roll the credits

It’s the apocalyptic future, Earth is dead, and one noble company is brave enough to send poor people on suicide missions to other planets to look for canisters of Helium-3. In SCAVS, you’re lucky enough to be on the mission control side of the deal, directing the titular scavengers around the terrain. It’s a take on the narrator/player dichotomy; our actual player character is perfectly safe, and it’s an NPC who acts as our eyes and ears.

SCAVS plays easily enough. We make a choice of one of two scavs, through whose mind the description of each area is filtered. They’ll tell you what’s up, and then you’ll have a choice of directions to send them in (or occasionally an instruction to investigate anything interesting they can see). You’ve also got a map to help you direct them, and access to a few stats such as health. Scavs can get injured if you’re too reckless with them, so you’ll have to think twice where you send them, although if you waste your first scav you have a mulligan with the second. Storms provide an environmental hazard where you need to get the scav into cover for a little while, and this provides an opportunity for your contact to engage you in conversation. The IFComp blurb and the in-game mission briefing both discourage you from letting them open up to you. So of course you’re gonna do it.

The production of SCAVS is very lavish for a text game, with some lovely ambient music and some menu design that would be right at home in a high-budget sci-fi videogame. But this is a text game, enforced by the “mission control” concept keeping us one step removed from the game world. Filtering the descriptions through the scavs is a clever way to imbue the narration with personality, and it’s pretty ambitious, keeping in mind that having two player characters effectively doubles the descriptive work. The scavs themselves are likeable enough in conversation, if a touch trope-y in a way I can’t quite define usefully – like, maybe they say what they mean a little too readily considering their pasts and motivations, and are a little too unguarded around an operator (you) who they don’t have a reason to trust given the power dynamic? They’re also undercut slightly by the frequent “your rapport has increased/decreased” messages, which are helpful but make the dialogue feel more artificial and videogame-y. But their dialogue sets the tone and advances the story well enough, as do the occasional finger-wagging emails you get from management if you’re building too much of a rapport with your expendable bodies.

As mentioned, your interaction with the scavs outside of talking consists of directing them with reference to a map and statistics. I’ll get the criticism out of the way and say that as you collect different map overlays from data sources that your scav can find, I’d like to be able to combine them. Your grid coordinates, your possible routes and your places of interest all end up on different screens and it would smooth out the gameplay if you could see them together. Outside of that, there’s a lot the map system does right! Those routes (when you find them) are very much appreciated, helping you to plan navigation more carefully (especially when a storm is incoming and moves count). It’s also a good way to tease certain ominous things, like the large lava-filled crater in the southwest or the blob of black in the southeast. There’s also another thing that’s added to it in the second half that helps to ratchet the tension up – I don’t want to spoil it here but it makes checking the map quite a bit more necessary, which I mean as a positive.

I’m stepping around the story here, and I’m telling one or two lies of omission to do so, but it’s not bad at all. In the first half, it’s mostly doled out through your forbidden conversations with the scavs, which helps it feel more like something you had to discover than something you’ve been told. You can largely ignore it, do your job and evacuate your scav with the correct amount of helium, but a post-game debrief nudges you to keep looking. So you have to dig a little bit to reach the real story of SCAVS (hence the spoiled-out text in the playtime stats up top), which allows the game to spend plenty of time on set-up which can be paid off in the back half. I thought this was orchestrated nicely. There’s one late plot twist that’s a bit too coincidental for me to buy, but otherwise the eventual release of tension is cathartic, and successful as an action sequence even though you’re only hearing it via a radio connection.

A little post-credits tease implies that the author would like to do more with the setting. I hope that comes to pass. This was a lot of fun.

9 Likes

Thanks for playing - and thanks for the review (and for expertly skirting around spoilers!)

1 Like

9 Days in a Van with your 3 Best Friends (Nathan Leigh and Nicole Orabona)

Played on: 7th September
How I played it: Online via the IFComp ballot
How long I spent: 2 hours to reach the end of Day 6 (out of 9, I assume)

I expected to dislike 9 Days in a Van with your 3 Best Friends. That’s not the game’s fault, I’m just generally tired of art about being a musician. Nickelback’s Rockstar was #1 in the UK for a long time, and it was annoyingly catchy bur also not very good, and I’ve had my fill of that kind of thing. But it turns out 9 Days in a Van is pretty great! Maybe art about music can be good sometimes!

It helps that the scenario presented here is distinctly unglamorous, maybe romanticised a little bit but not shying away from the grimy side of indie music. You’re not a rock star, at least not just yet; you’re Dante, the substitute drummer for the Androgynous Androids, a college band who are spending Spring Break 1991 touring the continental US to raise enough money to pay the guitarist’s dad back for the loan for the van which you’re using to tour the continental US. The Androids would love it to be all about the music, but the money sadly can’t be ignored, so we find ourselves carefully watching the cash box throughout the tour, hoping that our gigs do well enough to make a little dent in the loan, or at least cover the cost of gas for the next 500-mile trip.

The blurb suggests that this is semi-autobiographical, and I believe it. Not that I’ve ever gone touring or even been to all that many gigs, so don’t take it from me, but a lot of the little details and encounters just feel right. The brief encounters with people who Dante will never meet again, the seedy yet beloved punk spaces, loading, unloading, gossip, rumours, and the practicalities and politics of organising and playing gigs all feel plausible. Dante is a relative outsider, and a wry narrator; they’re close enough to enjoy the travelling musician lifestyle, but distant enough to see its flaws. I enjoy the little scene where Greg the guitarist is dreaming of being able to reject record deals and do it for the art:

“Donezo. I don’t need that shit.” Greg’s dad is in finance. He doesn’t actually need anything.

Each day of Spring Break sees us in a routine of travelling in our van to the venue, playing our setlist, watching the other bands, and then crashing in someone’s apartment. There are plenty of other events which disrupt the routine, but that’s the rough structure, and 9 Days in a Van sticks to it just enough to get us in a rhythm. The moments of downtime in the van, funnily enough, were my favourite parts of the game - you get plenty of ways to pass the time, including mixtapes (on which more later), journaling, a pretty good selection of short schi-fi stories, and talking to your bandmates, and it’s all very peaceful. This, plus the occasional dream sequence, gives the game lots of variety and ways to switch up gameplay on you. For example, journaling gives you a prompt and a free text box. I don’t know if the text is being recorded, but as in Quackpond it’s an easy and effective way to get the player to engage a little more.

The gameplay gets switched up more in the back half, when you take more of an active role in the management of the van. You’re directed to switch drivers, stop for gas and food every so often, and generally get the Androids to their show on time. This all goes a little Oregon Trail (a comparison which I trust the authors won’t mind since the game is shouted out directly in 9 Days in a Van). To be honest I didn’t care for this part of the gameplay that much. It’s a little dry and repetitive, at least during the instances I played through - it felt a little bit like we had run out of writing and I was in a holding pattern until the next part of the game. It serves a narrative purpose as a sign of Dante’s increased respect within the band, but I’d still like to go back to noodling around with the mixtapes. (To be fair you can do that too while driving, but the writing feels a lot more perfunctory, and lacks the reflections offered by Dante, or at least that’s how it seemed to me.)

Okay, the music. A game about music had better have a banger soundtrack, and 9 Days in a Van delivers. It must have been a labour of love for the authors - I can see in the About text that the music was based on songs composed years ago and re-recorded for this game. It’s really good and I’m so glad they did this. I played this game online but I downloaded the .zip afterwards so I could poke in the assets and listen to Every Inch of This Highway again. Wonderful stuff. Give me your Bandcamp.

The passion for music and its production, warts and all, shines through in 9 Days in a Van. It’s well-written, well-produced, and fun to play. I didn’t make it to the end in time so I can’t vouch for the whole thing but I’m glad I didn’t rush it.

8 Likes

The Very Last Night I Spent at Ethelred Estate (Kai DeJesus)

Played on: 8th September
How I played it: Online via the IFComp ballot
How long I spent: 30mins for three playthroughs, only one of which reached an ending

SPOILER WARNING: I’m going to give away the main reveal of the game here, i.e. the reveal related to the content warnings.

Unfortunately The Very Last Night I Spent at Ethelred Estate has got some problems. There are some great flourishes here, especially in its experimentation with the player character’s frame of mind, but it’s badly hampered by a lot of textual errors and game logic issues, including a game-breaking bug. (I’ll explain later, but if you want to play before reading this, I think you need to choose “celebrate a life” instead of “celebrate a union” near the beginning if you want to reach an ending.)

Ethelred Estate is a 15-minute gothic horror story, framed as a dream-slash-flashback to the player character’s final night at their former home. At a family gathering, we learn that the prosperity of our bloodline comes at a terrible cost, the life of each generation’s first unborn child; that is, we are about to miscarry. The events of the game see us drifting through a family gathering, alienated, waiting for the inevitable.

It’s a devastating and morbid concept, and framing it as a dream allows for a lot of latitude with the idea. I really like what the author does with narrative voice here. Ethelred Estate is made in Texture, and many of its decision points prompt you to drag an adjective onto the player character’s behaviours. The most significant of these completely recontextualise the player character’s response to the information; for example, instead of reacting with the expected amount of grief to the news that we are soon to lose our child, you can instead respond with relief that we won’t be carrying the child to term, which changes the tone of some future passages significantly. Clever little bits of wordplay also mutate the tone; a reference to cockroaches can either be literal, in which case we flee a vermin-infested room, or metaphorical, in which case we find ourselves despising our party guests. Given the short nature of the game and the suggestion that this is a recurring dream which changes every time, we are pushed to play multiple times and experiment with different responses, and so we drift through all sorts of different mental states, wandering from one scene to the next, never quite sure what we’re truly feeling. This is neat!

However… We have quite a lot of technical problems with the actual text, which makes it a struggle to parse what’s going on, perhaps more so than intended. There are quite a few grammatical and syntactical issues – missing words and the like, things that suggest that the game wasn’t given a proper proofread. I’ll forgive the past/present tense slippages because they add to the dreamlike swirl of scenes and the uncertain flow of time that the game is going for, but I’m not certain they’re intentional. Some choices of phrase are infelicitous and feel parodic, such as a scene in your father’s office which outputs “I find a copy of our financial records, in the red, red, red like blood” - that extremely blunt simile and its clumsy parallel between the family curse and the family finances read like a joke. There are issues with the game logic throughout as well, so that scenes don’t quite progress properly. A few times, we have a binary choice where both options produce similar text but only one progresses the story, leaving to repetition and odd pacing. Here’s the output of a scene where you’re prompted to both kill and spare your child, but where both need to be clicked, causing the scene’s cliffhanger to be doubled up:

I steel my resolve. I have little time. I must do this now. But before I can, I hear my baby cry. And then I hear a scream.

But I cannot kill him. I cannot. I cannot. And I cry for the child, for all the children sacrificed to this awful curse. Then I hear a scream.

Worse yet, there is that game-breaking bug which I think a few judges have run into already. Early in the game, you’re prompted to choose whether you’re celebrating a union, in which case the narrative is set against the backdrop of your own wedding, or celebrating a life, which puts you at your brother’s funeral. However, in both routes the game eventually places you in a church with your brother lying in state, which implies that the brother’s funeral happens no matter what. In that scene you’re prompted to “listen close,” and from my experiments it looks like the game softlocks at this point if you’re celebrating a union, but progresses with a Next arrow if you’re celebrating a life. This is just my guess, but it seems like Ethelred Estate only has an ending and game logic written for the funeral path, and when you’re shuttled onto it from the wedding path, you haven’t made the choices that set up the variables that the game wants to read for the funeral, so it can’t continue. If you were celebrating a life all along I think you don’t get stopped - I haven’t run every contingency to make sure, but that life/union choice seems like the most likely culprit. So it’s an avoidable bug, but it’s only avoidable by making the right choice ten minutes beforehand, and either way it’s not a great bug to have.

It’s a shame, as there are some cool tricks here, but I can’t recommend Ethelred Estate in its current state. There’s still plenty of time in the comp, so hopefully the author can do a late testing and proofreading pass and get the game updated for the rest of the voting period.

8 Likes

Epistemophilia (Mehmetcan Serinkaya)

Played on: 10th Sept
How I played it: Online via the IFComp ballot
How long I spent: 55 mins (15 mins for one playthrough. 40 mins for another which had credits)

“Epistemophilia” might be a good one for the IFWiki if it’s not already there in some form. How many works of interactive fiction, especially early text adventures, depend on a desire for knowledge on the player’s behalf? If the person who boots up Zork doesn’t go ahead and break into the old colonial house just to see what’s inside, they’re not going to be doing much; enjoy wandering through the forest. Epistemophilia (the game) more or less demands epistemophilia from the player. There are a lot of endings and a lot of opportunities to call it quits, but you don’t get to understand the plot unless you’re willing to spend a bit of time poking around and being guided by curiosity.

As such, an accurate summary of the plot would be a major spoiler, and I’m pretty sure I didn’t get all the details anyway. We can at least talk about how it starts: face down, in some gravel, with no recollection of what we’re doing there. From here we immediately get some wide-branching choices which change the nature of the game. Some lead to endings in pretty short order, but others keep going and going. The blurb says Epistemophilia can last from minutes to hours; I don’t know about hours, but you can keep playing for a while depending on your luck. It’s not really a puzzly game – there are puzzles but they’re in-universe, and largely solved by the player-character rather than the player. No complaints about that, it just means we refocus on the narrative.

The plot feels improvisational to a degree. I don’t think it is, as the author sets a few things up in the early game that get paid off in the more well-hidden endings. At the start, though, it’s very dreamlike, and it’s not clear how disparate places and scenes functionally connect. Multiple playthroughs clarify things somewhat, as there is a braiding structure to the early game – I found two different ways to pass out and wake up in the same room. But on your first playthrough which makes substantial headway into Epistemophilia, it can be a little exhausting, because we can’t really estimate how far along we are. The plot structure, like the geography, is mazelike. Some paths even lock off if you examine them and then choose not to take them so you can check out your other options, such as an early choice of coloured paths. (I don’t like this, because it prevents you weighing up your options, but at least it enforces some forward momentum in your play session.)

I think Epistemophilia spreads quite wide and offers a lot of different routes through, so I have a feeling there must be loads of text here. That makes writing errors more forgivable, as typos are going to happen and even the best proofreading will miss a few needles in the haystack. That said, there are still quite a lot of noticeable mistakes. Some punctuation is slightly odd, with little issues like missing spaces after commas, or a corporation’s name changing from Badger Boy to Badgerboy and back again. Also, several room descriptions have too much information, so that it’s hard to pick out the important details; they may focus on the minutiae of the shapes of doors and their handles, for example, so that the actual feeling of the room is hard to discern and the pace of the narrative loses momentum.

To balance that out, though, I must say that there are some rather good scenes and lines in here! I had no issues with the three endings I found (one death for obviously reckless behaviour, one early surviving ending, and one fuller ending with a credits sequence). The memory loss set-up is nothing new, but it’s the right choice for a game whose narrative needs to motivate the player-character to explore. I won’t talk about the worldbuilding too much (as discovering where you even are is one of the plot threads of Epistemophilia), but it allows a lot of variety in the setting, which found plenty of ways to keep me interested in what’s essentially a series of corridors. Also there are a handful of sneaky jokes in here which fill in the background detail nicely. I liked the machine offering “a menu of genuine synthetically composed pureed food-stuff along with clear coloured, hundred per cent liquid, recycled “Wateroi” (patent pending)”.

I do usually try to dig deeper if I have time on the judging clock, but I was tired so called it quits at the third ending I got, and then I got sort of battered around by family events and illness, so I forgot some details. Sorry! I’m being good and not reading other reviews until I publish this one, but I’m interested to see if the experience and narrative was significantly different for other players, and just how much the early game can affect the late game.

8 Likes

The Two Seasons: Encounter With a Vampire (Andrew Apted)

Played on: 19th September (using the 13th September update)
How I played it: Downloaded and ran with Windows Frotz
How long I spent: 1hr 30mins for a winning ending

Speaking as someone who once placed 13th in IFComp with a lightly puzzly parser comedy about vampires in mundane settings, I humbly consider myself one of the world’s foremost experts on IFComp entrants which are lightly puzzly parser comedies about vampires in mundane settings. So I was very pleased to get The Two Seasons: Encounter With a Vampire in the part of the Personal Shuffle that I’ll actually play in a timely fashion. Good to get a vampire pun in the blurb too, that’s a mark of quality.

This is an almost-kid-friendly caper in which the Two Seasons, friends and bandmates Maddy Summers and Matty Winter, figure out that their computer science teacher is a vampire who’s kidnapped a classmate, and formulate a plan to stop him. We pilot both teens around the school in tandem, meaning that both move north together, talk to other characters together, etc. This is a dialogue gimmick rather than a gameplay gimmick; there are no control-two-characters-in-different-places-type puzzles here, perhaps mercifully.

The puzzles we do have are fairly traditional, generally logical and well-indicated. The majority of these are in Act 2, hung around a centrepiece Monkey Island-style ingredients puzzle (in order to help local witch Aleesha brew up the potion the Two Seasons need for their plan). You’re required to deduce or research (in-game) what you need, and then collect the right objects, with plenty of red herrings; for example, you’ll learn that you need a chemical substance with a particular property, but the chemistry lab has six bottles to choose from. To help you out, the game is careful to avoid cruelty; Maddy and Matty will intervene to stop the player doing something obviously stupid like taking another chemical after the correct one has been deduced.

I won’t say the puzzles are perfect – I’m sour about an Act 1 puzzle that had an unlikely solution that I didn’t see any indications towards (dancing to get the lighter – I don’t think there’s enough information to guess that this would distract Suzanne and not just cause her to make more fun of the Two Seasons), though the in-game hints got me there in the end. I’m also putting a little red x next to the puzzle where you ply a drunkard with more alcohol, which is uncomfortable even if the protagonists lampshade how uncomfortable it is. On the other hand, the puzzle for getting the screwdriver is just a little devious, and had me fooled for a while trying a wrong solution. (By the way, the in-game hints are lovely, taking the form of conversations between Maddy and Matty, and nudging the player gently, including suggesting good-but-wrong commands that illustrate the problem better.)

The narrative isn’t too strong or twisty - in fact it’s a lot more straightforward than you might expect. But it’s a fun read. It’s dialogue-heavy, but a little formatting helps the reader parse this, laying out the conversations as playscripts and using unique colours for Maddy and Matty’s lines. The two protagonists are surprisingly fun characters, too. Matty and Maddy are – and this is supposed to be a compliment so bear with me – obnoxious presences, feeding off each other’s energy and bursting into song throughout. I would be very annoyed by them if I met them in real life, but they’re great player characters, acting as distinctive voices throughout The Two Seasons. Other characters are charming enough but I wish they’d been fleshed out a touch more. For example, Aleesha the witch needs a little more implementation, as when she’s following you for a section, the text daemon announcing her presence repeats the same line endlessly (“Aleesha is here, exuding a quiet confidence”), making her feel far too static.

I described the game as “almost kid-friendly” earlier, and that’s because it’s like a slightly more risque Scooby-Doo; most of the dialogue is kids being kids, but there’s the occasional surprising swear word or sexual allusion. I’d suggest these moments break the tone a little, but that would mean removing the discussion about a certain Grease musical number, which is a pretty good gag. I’ll put some little green ticks next to the book titles and dedications in the library as well, and one more next to the author’s use of stage directions as punchlines:

Mr McGrodie: Oh, they’re probably taking a little nap in their burrow, since these porcupines from Malaysia are nocturnal creatures. We have a male and female pair, who I call “Spikey Norman” and “Spiney Norma”, cool names right?

Matty: (lying) Yeah.

There’s lots to appreciate here – not perfect, but very solid. As an authority on IFComp lightly puzzly parser comedies about vampires in mundane settings, I hereby declare that The Two Seasons: Encounter With a Vampire is pretty good! Gold star!

[edit - ever so sorry, forgot to blur spoilers for puzzle solutions!]

8 Likes