Puzzle design books and readings

Hi!

Any recommendations about puzzle design books or readings? I´ve found that I am pretty bad at designing puzzles. My testers are always lost and very often they don´t even have a clue about what´s happening in my games. Sometimes I think I´ve designed an easy one only to find that it is nearly impossible. And then, I try adding hints to fix the problem and the puzzle becomes so diminished that maybe it isn´t a puzzle anymore.

Anyway, I am looking forward to plunging into some good analysis.

7 Likes

Some links from when I was thinking about this stuff:

10 Likes

Not a book, but Elyot Grant’s three-part talk will give you lot of food for thought.

EDIT: I don’t feel like I talked this up enough. It’s probably the only thing I’ve seen or read that gets at the heart of what a puzzle is and why you would design one. It gave me a new way of looking at puzzles, which I think is pretty actionable, or at least will become a part of your thinking when you design a puzzle.

8 Likes

More miscellaneous articles:

9 Likes

Thanks everyone for the ton of interesting readings.

“Why adventures suck” left me intriguing, so I will begin by that, but I think I will devour everything.

Hopefully, my next project will benefit from all these analysis.

1 Like

I wish I could recommend my own page about puzzle taxonomies, but I barely started it. It’s too incomplete and superficial to be of any use yet.

3 Likes

Sounds interesting. Please, do it once you feel you are ready for that. And, as they say: the more the merrier.