PunyJam #1: requests for cooperation and testers

If you’re looking for someone to cooperate with on writing a game for PunyJam #1 ( PunyJam #1 - itch.io ) or you’re looking for beta-testers for your game for said jam, post a note in this thread.

2 Likes

I am waiting on the Jam Theme to be announced before I start writing.

I am currently shoulder deep into a game I’m writing for Parser Comp.

The close submission windows are motivating me to read less and write more.

1 Like

My entry features comic fantasy and mildly disruptive reality-bending magic powers. Anyone who’s not otherwise involved in PunyJam#1 interested in beta testing it? I’ve put a lot of effort into polishing it, this is the first game I have completed, it would be great to get feedback from seasoned IFers.

1 Like

Just wanted to add that beta-testers can also be judges.

1 Like

I’ve posted release 0 of ‘Captain Cutter’s Treasure’ for beta testing. You can download the z5 file from itch.io. The password is ‘pirate’. This will only be valid until I’ve submitted the game to the jam, then it will become public. The game is free.

I know there’s not much time left for testing (submissions close on 3 May 2021), but all comments are welcome. You can be brutal. Post comments, suggestions and/or transcript in a personal message.

I’ll continue testing and fine tuning over the next couple of days.

The final release will include a web-playable version using Parchment. I’ll also add z3 versions with disk images for 8-bit and 16-bit computers once I’ve worked out how to do it. The first will be for the Atari 400/800/XL/XE, with others to follow at a later date.

1 Like

I just downloaded it. Will try to get it running by Friday. Thanks. When downloading, I see some links that has price on them. Is itch.io for commercial distribution also?

An author can set a purchase price, a donation or no cost on itch. There are quite a few options and can be changed as the author choses.

The Jams and Comps currently listed on Intfiction all require that the games can be played by the judges at no charge.

PS. Itch is a commercial entity. I believe Microsoft just offered $1 Billion to take it over.

1 Like

As @fos1 said, you can make it free, fixed price or free with a ‘pay what you feel is fit’ option. I like this option, but all my games are free.

I hope that never happens. I believe itch.io is the biggest indie developers’ web site in the world. Microsoft would be sure to screw it up.

2 Likes

People said the same when Microsoft acquired GitHub, but I’d say that worked out okay so far.

1 Like

SourceForge was fine for a while, too. As well as Java.

1 Like

Maybe because Microsoft didn’t buy them?

1 Like

So, things will be fine until Microsoft changes management? Give it a few years, then. Microsoft has been known to do so every few years.

Bill Gates may be philanthropic now, but Microsoft is still very much a commercial entity.