Participate in the 2019 Interactive Fiction Top 50!

I’m going to take an explicitly personal approach here since there’s no danger of my unusual choices displacing others’. (There are some natural gaps in time where I wasn’t keeping up with the scene.)

Trinity (1986) - Brian Moriarty
Yes for the all the usual reasons, but for me playing it at 13, it was the first time a video game challenged me to do things I was uncomfortable with, and then further discomforted me with its unsettling ending. There’s nuance in its treatment of player agency which many modern AAA games still lack.

Curses! (1993) - Graham Nelson
I haven’t replayed this, and likely never will, as I’m reluctant to displace the memory I have of staying up until all hours the night that I downloaded it, in wonder that it existed at all.

The Space Under the Window (1997) - Andrew Plotkin
A fusion of two very different 90s-era “interactive fiction” camps: parser IF and the oblique interactive poetry of academic hypertext. This work was a huge influence for me—packaged via a Java applet on a web page, it was a way for me to instantly show non-nerds that “interactive” fiction did not mean only choose-your-own-adventure style stories. There’s a straight line from this to First Draft of the Revolution, which was commissioned to recreate the same experience for a later non-IF audience.

For a Change (1999) - Dan Schmidt
Reader, I married him.

Pick Up the Phone Booth and Aisle (2001) - various
This is a joke game, but a lot of folks in the community wrote it together, passing a laptop around a room, and re-reading my contribution reminds me of a wonderful turning point in my life (see previous entry).

Savoir-Faire (2002) - Emily Short
I played this openly at work in the nadir of the dotcom crash when we had nothing to do but check fuckedcompany.com every day to see if we’d been laid off yet.

Of course Counterfeit Monkey is a masterpiece in this space, but Savoir-Faire was the first time I felt that an IF game took a clever mechanic and implemented it so exhaustively that everything I thought to do with it just worked (or didn’t work, but in a satisfying way).

SPY INTRIGUE (2015) - furkle
I remember playing this with my eyes just opening wider and wider until I thought I would go blind.

Cape (2015) - Bruno Dias
The visual design work here and the particular way in which the story (via Undum) rewrites itself into a complete continuous whole were direct influences in how I designed my subsequent hypertext games.

Birdland (2015) - Brendan Patrick Hennessy
A model of pacing, and of making the game elements completely explicit without detracting from the playfulness of the story. It just made me so happy, too.

Universal Paperclips (2017) - Frank Lantz
It is almost entirely text, it is interactive, and there is a narrative. It’s not on IFDB (and I’m not interested in going to war over whether it should be), but I call this interactive fiction and I think about my experience of playing it a lot.

17776 (2017) - Jon Bois
I will never write anything this good. (It doesn’t branch, but if you somehow managed to stuff this into Twine I don’t think we’d argue whether it was IF under the modern definition.)

Will Not Let Me Go (2017) - Stephen Granade
A perfect marriage of hypertext affordances and narrative conceit—extra notable because by now so many obvious paths have been explored. I was pleased to be able to beta-test this, which gave me an extra level of appreciation for the craft that Stephen put into the work. (Apparently 2017 was a great year for experimental digital fiction!)

3 Likes

Thanks for all the lists! I’ll be adding them to the spreadsheet soon.

All the lists up to now have been entered. Behind spoiler tags, the current standings. But keep those lists coming, there’s two more weeks to go! (If you don’t have a forum account, you can just mail me or send me a message on Twitter.)

Game Year Author Votes
Anchorhead 1998 Michael Gentry 12
Counterfeit Monkey 2012 Emily Short 11
Lost Pig 2007 Admiral Jota 10
Superluminal Vagrant Twin 2016 C.E.J. Pacian 9
Hadean Lands 2014 Andrew Plotkin 8
Spider and Web 1998 Andrew Plotkin 8
Curses! 1993 Graham Nelson 7
80 Days 2014 inkle and Meg Jayanth 6
Eat Me 2017 Chandler Groover 6
Photopia 1998 Adam Cadre 6
Wizard Sniffer, The 2017 Buster Hudson 6
Birdland 2015 Brendan Patrick Hennessy 5
Blue Lacuna 2008 Aaron Reed 5
Galatea 2000 Emily Short 5
Kerkerkruip 2011 Victor Gijsbers (et al) 5
King of Shreds and Patches, The 2009 Jimmy Maher 5
Shade 2000 Andrew Plotkin 5
Slouching towards Bedlam 2003 Star Foster & Daniel Ravipinto 5
Trinity 1986 Brian Moriarty 5
Violet 2008 Jeremy Freese 5
Wand, The 2017 Arthur DiBianca 5
Beauty Cold and Austere, A 2017 Mike Spivey 4
Edifice, The 1997 Lucian P. Smith 4
Gun Mute 2008 C.E.J. Pacian 4
Horse Master 2013 Tom McHenry 4
howling dogs 2012 Porpentine 4
Make it Good 2009 Jon Ingold 4
Mentula Macanus: Apocolocyntosis 2011 Adam Thornton 4
Savoir-Faire 2002 Emily Short 4
Varicella 1999 Adam Cadre 4
Will Not Let Me Go 2017 Stephen Granade 4
With Those We Love Alive 2014 Porpentine & Brenda Neotenomie 4
1893: A World’s Fair Mystery 2002 Peter Nepstad 3
Adventurer’s Consumer Guide 2007 Øyvind Thorsby 3
Alias ‘The Magpie’ 2018 J. J. Guest 3
Brain Guzzlers from Beyond! 2015 Steph Cherrywell 3
Cactus Blue Motel 2016 Astrid Dalmady 3
Cragne Manor 2018 Ryan Veeder, Jenni Polodna (et al) 3
Creatures such as we 2014 Lynnea Glasser 3
Endless, Nameless 2012 Adam Cadre 3
Eric the Unready 1993 Bob Bates 3
For a Change 1999 Dan Schmidt 3
Gateway 1992 Mike Verdu (et al) 3
Gostak, The 2001 Carl Muckenhoupt 3
Human Errors 2018 Katherine Morayati 3
Junior Arithmancer 2018 Mike Spivey 3
Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening, The 2018 Ryan Veeder 3
Midnight. Swordfight. 2015 Chandler Groover 3
Rameses 2000 Stephen Bond 3
SPY INTRIGUE 2015 furkle 3
Suveh Nux 2007 David Fisher 3
Wishbringer 1985 Brian Moriarty 3
Zork I 1980 Marc Blank & Dave Lebling 3
1 Like

Just popping in to reinforce a few I consider crucial(ly excellent). I fear this is too large a pizza for me to take a fair and considered crack at eating the whole thing, so here’s my slice:

Counterfeit Monkey
Galatea
Mentula Macanus: Apocolocyntosis
Lost Pig
Beyond Zork
Zork III

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve updated with ghalev’s list and a list that was sent to me by mail. About one more week to go!

Here’s my list of the best interactive fiction:

Animalia, by Ian Michael Waddell
Baker of Shireton, by Hanon Ondricek
Beware the Faerie Food You Eat, by Astrid Dalmady
Cannery Vale, by Hanon Ondricek
Child’s Play, by Stephen Granade
Curse of the Garden Isle, by Ryan Veeder
Diddlebucker!, by J. Michael
Future Threads, by Xavid
Holy Robot Empire, by Caleb Wilson
Hunger Daemon, by Sean M. Shore
Kerkerkruip, by Victor Gijsbers
Oppositely Opal, Buster Hudson
Origin of Madame Time, by Brian Rushton
Seedship, by John Ayliff
Trinity, by Brian Moriarty

Thanks for doing this!

3 Likes

My favourites have all been already mentioned, so in no particular order:

• Midnight. Swordfight. Chandler Groover
  • ALL I WANT IS FOR ALL OF MY FRIENDS TO BECOME INSANELY POWERFUL Porpentine
  • Howling Dogs Porpentine
  • Gun Mute CEJ Pacian
  • Snowblind Aces CEJ Pacian
  • Captain Verdeterre’s Plunder Ryan Veeder
  • The Uncle Who Works For Nintendo Michael Lutz
  • Lime Ergot Caleb Wilson
  • You Will Select a Decision Brendan Patrick Hennessy
  • Bee Emily Short
  • :heart:Magical Makeover :heart: S. Woodson
  • Photopia Adam Cadre
2 Likes

Edited to clarify/correct intro. Game rankings and descriptions not changed.

After years of casually reading this forum, I figured it was now or never (or at least now or 2023) if I wanted to register my opinions.

My procrastination was on account of my feeling unqualified - I’ve only played perhaps 50 or 60 games - but I’m submitting this in the spirit that I believe is intended. I prefer not to look at hints, and, with one exception (see below) I’ve never used a walkthrough, so I don’t get to as many games as I would like. After some consideration, it didn’t feel right to include games I haven’t finished yet, which includes many enjoyable ones I’m still working on, including Anchorhead, Counterfeit Monkey, So Far, Scroll Thief and Savoir-Faire.

So, from my limited choices, here are my 20 favorites in more-or-less ascending order. The high number of Infocom games is mostly a sad commentary that I need to play more modern IF. I’ll see if I can improve on this by 2023.

Violet by Jeremy Freese

Solving the puzzles was a bit disturbing (construction by destruction), but ultimately Violet herself made this game work for me.

Spellbreaker by Dave Lebling

To me, the first half of the game was nearly flawless; after that the puzzles were less inspired and more contrived.

Suveh Nux by David Fisher

Very fair and entertaining puzzles in a near-perfect implementation. I was astonished the game managed to correct all of my (numerous) typing errors.

Curses! by Graham Nelson

Arguably too difficult (the only game where I was completely stumped and finally, after many years, consulted a walkthrough), but otherwise great fun. The response to finding the fire escape is priceless.

Adventure by Will Crowther and Don Woods

A frustrating play by today’s standards, but if I hadn’t become hooked on this game 40-or-so years ago, I likely wouldn’t have played any of the others.

Party Foul by Brooks Reeves

Very funny. How many ways can you find to annoy the hostess? (I’m generally not a vindictive person, but boy did I want to annoy her.)

Enchanter by Marc Blank and Dave Lebling

Because summoning your old Zork-playing self was a truly inspired concept.

Everybody Dies by Jim Munroe

Only one real puzzle (albeit a good one), but the setting and characters, although unfamiliar to my life experience, oddly resonated with me.

Wishbringer by Brian Moriarty

My only complaint is the puzzles were too easy and I was done too soon.

Sorcerer by Steve Meretzky

Time travel puzzles have since become common, but the one here might just be the best.

A Change in the Weather by Andrew Plotkin

Aside from one very unfair puzzle, a masterful mix of intricately-timed and geographically-oriented puzzles with evocative writing.

Zork Zero by Steve Meretzky

The graphical puzzles don’t add much (and in some cases subtract), but I loved most everything else. The effects of the wand are hilarious and brilliant, and oh is the chess puzzle wonderful.

Spider and Web by Andrew Plotkin

I’ve never been more pleased with my game-playing self than the moment when the solution to The Puzzle suddenly occurred to me.

Inside the Facility by Arthur DiBianco

How much fun can you have with 7 commands? In my case, a lot.

Lost Pig by Admiral Jota

Hard to imagine anyone not enjoying this one.

Zork III by David Lebling and Marc Blank

The 5th game I played (after Adventure, Dungeon, Zork I and Zork II), and the one that showed me IF could be more than a treasure hunt. The new level of complexity, particularly the gold machine puzzle, amazed me.

Leather Goddesses of Phobos by Steve Meretzky

Great humor, clever transportation system, and lots of silly fun. The King Mitre puzzle alone is worth the price of admission.

Beyond Zork by Brian Moriarty

The most replayable of the Infocom games. Great setting, fun NPCs and one amazing challenge to get the helmet.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Steve Meretzky and Douglas Adams

The single funniest thing ever created. Ever show the thing your aunt gave you to Mr. Prosser?

Trinity by Brian Moriarty

In my mind, still the high point of interactive fiction 30+ years after its release.

Thanks for counting my votes - hope I’m not too late!

5 Likes

My own list, limited by my own preferences and inclinations and familiarity with the IF catalog, and intentionally limiting myself to one work per author.

Admiral Jota, Lost Pig: Characterization and voice were just amazing, and the puzzles were fun. Every single thing worked toward an integrated whole in a way that’s virtually never seen. It knew what it needed to do along the way, and it knew when to stop.

Amy Briggs, Plundered Hearts: writing is pitch-perfect throughout. Action never lets up. It understands and works very well with the tropes of the genre it’s working with. I think that the PC is the best-characterized in any of the Infocom catalog that I’ve played. The narrative was very well structured, and the story was fun and satisfying.

Andrew Plotkin, Spider and Web: Of course, the fabled plot twist is satisfying in a way that few plot twists are in any medium, but (again) the characterization and voice were perfect precisely because of the way that they implement the tropes of the espionage genre (just like seeing all of the well-sketched-out purely one-dimensional characters interact in the Coen Brothers’ The Hudsucker Proxy). Some of my favorite devices in an IF game. Constant rewards for poking at things. Innovative use of medium to prevent player death in a situation and genre where other IF of the time more or less demanded it–and in a way that worked amazingly well narratively.

Brian Moriarty, Trinity: The huge, discontinuous map is fun to play through, and it’s an incredibly well-structured Infocom game with many puzzles open in the middle game, all of which are interesting. The profound weirdness of the silent magical world that keeps opening back onto moments in our own history shouldn’t work, according to any reasonable theory of narrative cohesion in IF, but it does. The gnomon puzzle is maybe the most satisfying flash of insight I’ve ever had while playing IF. There are moments where Moriarty leverages tiny actions into profoundly moving moments: forcing yourself to kill the tiny lizard to move forward is a famous example, but not the only one.

Buster Hudson, The Wizard Sniffer: Puzzles are fun, the map is elegantly designed, and the writing is absolutely always on-point, with basically every sentence being a beautifully crafted micro-narrative. The PC is a perfect foil to her sidekicks, and the PC-based revelation is well hinted at before it occurs. I think this is the very best of the limited-verb parser games I’ve played.

Carolyn VanEseltine, Ollie Ollie Oxen Free: The looming threat is handled well, the NPCs are well-developed and believable, and the PC’s voice is very very well developed. The lack of broader information plays into everything and gives the game a sense of urgency that most other attempts to grant to works of IF are much less successful at. The sudden ending with no post-threat epilogue cuts off perfectly satisfying narrative resolution in a way that avoids comforting the player and resolving the larger questions that don’t quite get asked, but that are necessarily present in the player’s mind.

D.A. Leary, The Horror of Rylvania: One of the best old-school mid-90s puzzlefests, for me. Largish but not huge map is well-designed, and most locations are described tersely but well. The game has its own weird logic that makes puzzles possible to solve in your head while you’re away from your computer and not actively thinking about them: there are a lot of very satisfying “a-ha!” moments here. The early gestures toward tying multiple endings to moral choice for the player are significant, too.

Emily Short, Savoir-Faire: My favorite of Short’s many good games. There’s something about the system that’s deeply satisfying, even before realizing how deep the implementation goes. Even more than any of her other games that I’ve played, this one joyfully rewards poking at its incredibly deep implementation of basically everything.

Gareth Rees, Christminster: Another mid-90s piece that marries excellent puzzles to extensively developed narrative. Again, excellent PC characterization, done in little ways and with little gestures throughout the game. NPC characterization is very nearly as strong. Atmosphere and map-development are perfect. Frankly, I think this game understands and works with the tropes of IF at its time better than anything else I’ve played.

Jason Devlin, Vespers: The non-sympathetic narrator is done extremely well here. Virtue tracking is handled gently but has a real impact on a lot of the story. The map is continually being altered in subtle ways that contribute to the overall gradually-building atmosphere of the game. Emotionally draining, but also weirdly cathartic in exactly the way that Aristotelian drama is supposed to be.

Jason McIntosh, The Warbler’s Nest: Short, well-contained episode with excellent characterization. The creepy brooding atmosphere never lets up and builds a set of questions that culminate in an ethical choice, all branches of which are handled well. Writing is terse and well-done, and supports everything else about the game.

JJ Guest, Alias “The Magpie”: vigorous puzzlefest with hilarious solutions to everything. Characterization is again done very well, with brightly sketched genre tropes springing to life. Writing is wonderful throughout. Access to the map is carefully and fairly controlled, and the pretexts for denying access are, as with so much else about the game, screamingly funny.

Michael Gentry, Anchorhead (1998). Beautifully designed map with careful access controls throughout the game. PC is so well done; so are many of the NPCs. Gentry absolutely nails the looming awfulness of the Lovecraftian atmosphere, and he does so over and over and over. The narrative is satisfying on many levels; the puzzles, though sometimes hard, are always fair; and there’s always more going on than the player can be aware of at any one time.

Peter Emery, Birmingham IV: its pure joy for the types of game that were possible early in the history of IF and its homage to them (or incorporation and working with the tropes of its own time, if it really is a translation of the author’s Quill game from decades ago) are delightful. More so than most games that attempt to imitate the wacky “magic, but also machines” house style of Infocom, this achieves a weirdly satisfying fusion of magic and realism without ever quite showing what all the boundaries of the combined system are. The puzzles are hard but sometimes brilliant, and the characterization is handled deftly without ever being done extensively. It’s haunting in ways that are impossible to articulate simply because of its weirdness, which has an internal logic that can be recognized but not explained (at least … not by me).

Robert Arnstein, Raaka-Tu (1981): Old-school treasure-hunt romp, amazingly well executed for being written in 6809 assembly and running on a machine with 16K of RAM. Map is well-designed and puzzles are hard but fair. Kind of a shining little gem of a game showing how much can be done with so little.

Star C Foster and Daniel Ravipinto, Slouching Towards Bedlam: wonderful atmosphere that combines multiple common IF genres in a very satisfying way by finding reasons to mesh common tropes together. The gradual discovery of what’s going on and the kind of horror that it provokes without ever directing how you feel about it is very, very effective. Writing is brilliant.

Steve Meretzky, Leather Goddesses of Phobos: best job of anyone at poking fun at sci-fi tropes, for my money (though Meretzky did this very well in other places, too). It takes them seriously at the world-building level while mocking them narratively; this is a combination that IF doesn’t often do anywhere near this well. Hard puzzles, but fair, and often quite clever when the whole puzzle is understood.

Thomas Mack, Nick Mathewson, and Cidney Hamilton, The Owl Consults: Aboard the Airship Mephistopheles: Excellent multiple viewpoints, handled better than most attempts to do this. Both viewpoint characters are well-developed in different ways, and the handling of the comic-book super-villains is flawless. Wonderful dialog, excellent writing throughout.

Veronika Megler, The Hobbit (1982). Another brilliant-for-its-time work that’s still impressive: the deep flexibility and open-worldedness of the game are still delightful. The game shows, again, just how much can be done with very little. The graphics are clean and amazing (again, especially for the time); even better: it’s possible to play without them.

Wade Clark, Leadlight (2010): The creepy atmosphere makes the claustrophobic old-school parser work very, very well here. There’s not a whole lot of zombie IF that’s excellently executed (though there are other very well-done zombie IF works out there), but this shines in a lot of ways. Again, the viewpoint character is developed quite well, and her limitations work well both narratively and in terms of game balance. I didn’t love the combat system, but neither did it ruin the game for me as it did for some other people.

5 Likes

I’m relatively new to the interactive fiction scene, and have played mostly choice-based games (and mostly ones from the last five or so years). So this list of 10 is definitely limited in scope, but hopefully adds an interesting perspective to the voting.

Birdland—YA fantasia, delicious buffet of stats, birds

Bogeyman—psychological horror, sustained mood, unforgettable big bad

Cactus Blue Motel—ghostly Americana, lived-in characters, strong choice-based sense of space

Color the Truth—satisfying mystery, logical itch-scratcher, Rashomon sensibility

Galatea—interrogation of language, sense of expansive possibility, philosophical depth

Harmonia—immersion in Utopian history, beautiful marginalia, heart-wrenching final choice

Howling Dogs—inscrutable fantasy, density of choice, IF as modern art

Photopia—cinematic quality, adept use of time and space, FLY

Vespers—religious horror, shocking reveals, thought provoking play on morality

Will Not Let Me Go—beautifully rendered protagonist, IF as mental process, note-perfect tragedy

5 Likes

Just to be official, I posted a list on my blog today:

3 Likes

in no particular order:

• Aisle
  • Superluminal Vagrant Twin
  • Horse Master
  • Fallen London
  • Shrapnel
  • Long Live the Queen
  • Pick Up the Booth And Die (yes, really)
  • Vespers
  • Analogue: A Hate Story
  • Aspel
  • Foldscape
  • Foo Foo

And it’s too early to judge games from past year (unless it’s for XYZZY).

2 Likes

Many last minute lists coming in, here and in my mailbox. Keep 'em coming! You have until the 31st has ended in every single part of the world. (And since I’m not actually going to calculate when that is, you basically have another 24 hours.)

I already listed five of mine above (Jacaranda Jim, AMFV, Knight Orc, Brain Guzzlers, and Inside the Facility) and I believe Victor already counted them into the spreadsheet. Here are some more.

Trinity (Infocom)
Infocom’s best mix of puzzle and message.

Photopia (Adam Cadre)
Dated now, but that’s mostly because it was so groundbreaking that a lot of games followed and improved on the genre of heavily railroaded, highly immersive storygames that it started.

Pirate Adventure (Alexis Adams and M. Scott Adams)
I feel I have to include one AdvInt game here, and this is their quintessential work - nice simple puzzles, and the use of a genre that’s already so vivid in player’s imaginations that the two-word descriptions to which they were limited worked in its favour.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Infocom)
I was trying not to repeat creators and companies, but hey, it’s Infocom. Probably the most enjoyable entirely unfair game.

Galatea (Emily Short)
Groundbreaking work on NPCs.

Lost Pig (Admiral Jota)
Sure, why not.

In no particular order (except vaguely the order I played them in):

• Adventure (the Crowther and Woods one)
  • Spellbreaker
  • Trinity
  • Metamorphoses
  • All Things Devours
  • Slouching Toward Bedlam
  • Counterfeit Monkey
  • Spider and Web
  • Hadean Lands
  • Hoist Sail for the Heliopause and Home

I’m reluctant to call these “best,” but in terms of what has made a lasting impression on me + jump immediately to mind when I think of what IF is and can be (in no particular order):

80 Days
A Mind Forever Voyaging
Trinity
Planetfall
Galatea
Blue Chairs
Birdland
You Will Select a Decision
Lost Pig
Human Errors
Harmonia
Queers in Love at the End of the World
SPY INTRIGUE
Shade
Bogeyman
Will Not Let Me Go
With Those We Love Alive
Aisle
Counterfeit Monkey

Here is my very quickly thought-of & probably highly inaccurate list!

Anchorhead
Birdland
Blue Lacuna
Counterfeit Monkey
Cragne Manor
Dial C for Cupcakes
Don’t Shit Your Pants
Everybody Dies
Foo Foo
Horse Master
Magical Makeover
Midnight. Swordfight.
Photopia
rat chaos
Savoir Faire
Shade
Slouching Towards Bedlam
SPY INTRIGUE
Taco Fiction
Violet

(I feel completely justified including Cragne because I’m in the unique position of knowing exactly how great a job the other 83 people did)

3 Likes

As it happens, there are exactly 19 games that I’ve rated five stars on IFDB. I was hoping to play more of the XYZZY 2018 nominations before this deadline to see if I wanted to add any of those, but alas I’m out of time. Here they are in alphabetical order:

16 Ways to Kill a Vampire at McDonalds, by Abigail Corfman
Detectiveland, by Robin Johnson
Final Exam, by Jack Whitham
Fragile Shells, by Stephen Granade
Hill Ridge Lost & Found, by Jeremy Pflasterer
Inside the Facility, by Arthur DiBianca
Junior Arithmancer, by Mike Spivey
Lost Pig, by Admiral Jota
Midnight. Swordfight., by Chandler Groover
Moon Goon, by Caleb Wilson
Night House, by Bitter Karella
Oppositely Opal, by Buster Hudson
The Owl Consults, by Thomas Mack, Nick Mathewson, and Cidney Hamilton
Sub Rosa, by Joey Jones, Melvin Rangasamy
Superluminal Vagrant Twin, by C.E.J. Pacian
Toby’s Nose, by Chandler Groover
Untold Riches, by Jason Ermer
The Wizard Sniffer, by Buster Hudson
Wonderland, by David Bishop, Bob Coles, Paul Findley, Ken Gordon, Richard Huddy, Steve Lacey, Doug Rabson, Anita Sinclair, Hugh Steers and Mark Taylor

1 Like

In under the wire! In alphabetical order, games that have stuck with me and changed how I feel about what interactive fiction can do, in the medium and/or my own life:

17776 - Jon Bois
500 apocalypses - Phantom Williams
80 Days - inkle studios
Birdland - Brendan Patrick Hennessy
Blue Lacuna - Aaron Reed
Cape - Bruno Dias
Counterfeit Monkey - Emily Short
Fabricationist DeWit Remakes the World - Jedediah Berry
Galatea - Emily Short
Hadean Lands - Andrew Plotkin
Harmonia - Liza Daly
Her Story - Sam Barlow
Invisible Parties - Sam Kabo Ashwell
Laid Off From the Synesthesia Factory - Katherine Morayati
Lime Ergot - Caleb Wilson
Midnight. Swordfight - Chandler Groover
their angelical understanding - Porpentine Charity Heartscape
SPY INTRIGUE - furkle
Violet - Jeremy Freese
Will Not Let Me Go - Stephen Granade

I’m the first to admit my list is old-school. I’m on record as not interested in Twine-type games. I’ve played maybe three; I do parser.
There are 2 main things that really interest me in a text adventure: exploring a space, and manipulating objects. It’s hard for me to get excited about a game that doesn’t feature at least one of those.

1893: A World’s Fair Mystery, Peter Nepstad
I love US history, historic buildings and places. This is right in my wheelhouse. Talk about exploring a space! Peter Nepstad put in crazy amounts of effort to implement the entire World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893 Chicago. You can go everywhere and see everything (there are graphics and music). You can choose to solve the mystery, or just explore.

Arthur, Bob Bates
I remember being so impressed at the amount of research evident in this game, the way he stuck together actual bits of legend into a playable whole.

Enchanter, Marc Blank and Dave Lebling
Replacing inventory objects with magic spells still just tickles me as a mechanic. Love it.

Hollywood Hijinx, Dave Anderson and Liz Cyr-Jones
“Crazy dead aunt’s house full of weird mechanical puzzles” may be a cliche these days, but the implementation here is nearly flawless. Wonderful sense of humor.

Not Just an Ordinary Ballerina, Jim Aikin
I feel like this one’s been forgotten. The puzzles take real time and thought, but they all make sense. I had lots of fun thinking through it.

Planetfall, Steve Meretzky
All these years later, this is still my favorite. You gradually piece together the history of a lost civilization, then come to the realization of what you have to do. Best NPC ever.

Scorpion Swamp, Steve Jackson
OK, so this is the weirdest one on my list. It’s not a parser game; it’s not even a computer game. It’s not listed at IFDB, but adding it would mean we have to add thousands of other books. If I had never played this one I would completely reject the idea that a gamebook can be IF. But unlike the mostly-linear structure of other Fighting Fantasy books, Scorpion Swamp has a very text-adventure-like map using compass directions.

Secret Mission, Scott Adams
It’s amazing what this game does with a two-word parser. It managed to give me a feeling of urgency, as if time were running out. There are many many ways to just blow yourself up, but I love the process of gradually solving the big puzzle. This is where I learned the word “frisk”!

Six, Wade Clarke
Each of my four children has in turn discovered the joys of this one. Light and entertaining, it introduces a theme and develops delightful variations. Teaches a few fun bits of Australian culture.

Suspended, Michael Berlyn
An intricate puzzle box. It’s great fun seeing the same objects through the eyes of the different robots. Great replayability.

Wishbringer, Brian Moriarty
Two solutions to every puzzle!

Zork II, Dave Lebling and Marc Blank
Although it takes a long time to figure out the object of this treasure hunt, there are interesting things to do from the beginning. Not as big and confusing as Zork I, I think it’s just the right size.

I really should play more recent parser games, but these games represent a standard I’ll be judging them against.