Participate in the 2019 Interactive Fiction Top 50!

Interactive Fiction Top 50

In 2011 and 2015, I organised a vote for the Interactive Fiction Top 50. For the 2011 edition, the forum thread is found here and the results here and here. For the 2015 edition, the forum thread is here, and the results are here and here.

Now another four years have come and gone, so it is time for a new vote. That’s where you come in. It doesn’t matter whether you have played every interactive fiction game ever made, or have just started exploring the medium. It also doesn’t matter whether you prefer parser games, or choice-based games, or love both equally. As long as there is some IF that you like and would like the world to know about, you are a worthy participant. (For a little more on which games are eligible for inclusion, see below.)

The aim is not to decide what the best IF ever is by majority vote – that would be foolish. Rather, the aims of the top 50 are:

• To create a good opportunity for people to think about the best games they have played, and discuss their ideas on this topic with others.

• To allow people to be inspired by what they see on other people’s lists.

• To create a useful list of great games at which you can point newcomers to the IF scene.

• To track how the taste of the community evolves over time.

To participate, all you have to do is send me a list of between 1 and 20 interactive fiction games that you consider to be the best IF that you have played. You can send this list to me in private, but it is much more fun and much more useful to all of us if you make it public, for instance in this very topic, as a Recommended List on the IFDB, on your blog, or on Twitter. It is even more fun and even more useful if you explain what you loved about each entry in a few sentences. For examples, check out the forum threads linked to above.

To ensure that your votes are counted, either post the list in the IF Forum topic (which I will monitor) or send a list or link to me by mail. My mail address is myfirstname@lilith.cc, where you replace “myfirstname” with my first name. Which is Victor. The deadline is 31 July 2019.

Here are the rules:

• You can list between 1 and 20 games.

• The order in which you list the games is not important. The total number of points a work receives is simply the total number of votes it gets.

• You can list each work only once.

• You can list multiple works by one author.

• You can list your own works, if you really want to.

• It’s up to you to decide whether a work counts as interactive fiction. Anything that is listed on the IFDB is automatically fine; if one of the games you want to vote for is not listed there, feel free and indeed encouraged to add it to the site.

• You can vote for commercial works. You can vote for works that were written in any language.

• I’m asking you to identify the best interactive fiction, not the most influential, most important, most innovative or most accessible interactive fiction. But of course, if you believe that influence, importance, innovation or accessibility are important parts of being good, that is fine. For your list, you decide what counts as ‘best’.

• Please don’t go around canvassing for votes.

• As stated above, the deadline for entering your list is 31 July 2019.

• The organiser is allowed to participate –- because, hey, where’s the fun if I can’t give you my own list?

I hope to see many of you participate! Please spread the news wherever you see fit.

12 Likes

The past editions of this have been really useful. I’m really looking forward to seeing other people’s lists!

Now I have to figure out which 20 I consider ‘the best’.

2 Likes

I had to cut out a lot of games I love (I started out with 150), but these are my picks for the best games (spoilered in case people want to make their own before seeing this):

80 days
Time Magazine’s game of the year, Inkle’s biggest success, this is a well-written game with a word count of 750,000. It’s mechanics are slick, it’s endlessly replayable, it requires real strategy, and it’s just fun.

Anchorhead
This was one of the first games I played, and I just took it for granted. Oh, of course I would find other multi-part games with huge maps, great storyline, multiple NPCs and puzzles integrated with the storyline. It wasn’t until a year or two later that I realized that this game is essentially one of a kind, and my ideal of what IF should be. I haven’t played the new version, but I bought it on Steam today after this reminder.

A Beauty Cold and Austere
I used to work for the author, so this might be biased, but this game is unique in its blend of mathematics with traditional IF mechanics. It’s also large, polished, and fun, with a compelling overall gameplay arc.

Birdland
The winner of more XYZZY awards than any other game. I had been a fun of BP Hennessy for a while before the 2015 IFComp. He had one game (You Will Select a Decision) that had very funny deadpan humor based on bad translations, and another (Bell Park, Youth Detective) about a young girl who solved mysteries. This game combined the best of those two, with a new mechanic system that was perfect for Twine.

Blue Lacuna
I heard some advice for authors once: short stories need to be carefully crafted, but with novels, you can just keep throwing stuff until something sticks. Fortunately, this game is well-crafted, but with its immense size and huge storyline, there was something that stuck with me at the end. The last major portion of the game is my favorite, with a careful look at society. Also has an almost Galatea-like NPC, puzzle-light mode and special keyword-based system that can be switched to regular IF mode later on.

Cannery Vale
Hanon really did a number with this one. Going back and forth between multiple realities, being the author of the game that you play within the game and being able to edit it, and the intricate interleavings of narrative threads really spoke to me.

Counterfeit Monkey
Among her many works, Emily Short made a lot of games that were ‘proof of concept’ for individual ideas. Galatea: an in-depth conversation with a character. Metamorphoses: a quality-based transformation system, etc. This game combines all of those and others. It is a wordplay game that is fairly exhaustive, based on an in-game dictionary, and has many in-depth NPCs spread throughout a city. It combines so many of her good ideas in one, and might be the best IF available right now.

Curses!
This one is my favorite because it was the first game that drew me in. This game was designed to ‘sell’ Inform (the language). It is huge, and contains numerous references to literature and mythology. I played it with a walkthrough the first time, which may be why I like it more than people who struggled through alone.

Galatea
They really haven’t advanced AI conversation much past this game, as far as I can tell. Galatea has 70 endings, tracks many states, allows for a great variety of conversational options and even deals with physical actions like touching or showing.

Hadean Lands
Andrew Plotkin is one of IF’s best authors, and this is one of his best works. In an alchemical analogue to programming, you must learn and use function-like rituals to save your ship. Each part of the game that you solve becomes automatic on subsequent playthroughs (this is a die-repeat game), making the game became larger-and-larger scale.

howling dogs
One of Porpentine’s best known works, this game shows the power of basic Twine’s functionality. It’s a poetic, haunting work showing multiple VR vignettes with a common thread of persecuted women.

Lost Pig
What other games let you cook and eat your own pants? That’s all I have to say about this one.

Open Sorcery
This choice game uses an innovative style of presentation, both in terms of physical appearance and the unusual choice of narration. It uses quadratic complexity, with puzzles that require you to solve two variables at once. You are a fiery spirit who is also an operating system protecting a young summoner.

Shade
A creepy game, and one of the most-played IF games of all time. Plotkin uses so many tiny tricks that you won’t notice unless you are looking very closely and play repeatedly.

Slouching towards Bedlam
If Anchorhead is what I think IF should be, Slouching Towards Bedlam is what I think parser IF could be. At an astonishingly small 30K words, Slouching Towards Bedlam builds an entire world through broad sketches. It allows truly meaningful choices and has excellent replay value. Its entire concept is purely centered on, and only really possible with, the written word.

Spellbreaker
The best of the Infocom games, in my opinion. A complex spell system and a world made of many small sub-worlds seems like it would make for combinatorial explosion, but it gates itself very well.

Spider and Web
Has one of the best individual puzzles of all time, one of the best opening sequences, and a great sandbox-based puzzle system.

Superluminal Vagrant Twin
A completely different take on IF and very successful at that. Each thing is barely implemented, but there’s a ton of it. A limited parser game taking you across the galaxy trading. In a way, it’s not entirely unsimilar to 80 Days, both of which have great bargaining series.

Violet
This one was never my personal favorite due to it hitting too close to home at a time I was struggling in academia. But Violet is funny, quirky, with fun puzzles. Almost everything in this one-room game is implemented, getting rid of a lot of the frustration of ‘guess-the-verb/noun’ prevalent in parser games.

Zork I
Not the first, but perhaps the most influential. What more can I say?

4 Likes

I’d have hoped my list would have changed over two polls over eight years, but it hasn’t changed that much. So in some cases, neither have my capsule reviews!

In alphabetical order:

Adventureland (1978)

The first Scott Adams adventure is an elementally-named treasure hunt through a forest and some caverns, with a bit of magic thrown in and a lot of random things that can go wrong. As a kid, it was one of the first adventure games I was able to make progress in on my own, though my dad considered it uninteresting compared to the graphic splendour of stuff like Wizard and the Princess. Adventureland has aged far better than Wizard… It’s clear and fun, and really dense with the way the puzzles overlap.

Some find so few words in a game intolerable. If you acknowledge that Adams’s games convey an attitude (which they definitely do) I think you also have to acknowledge that their words have an aesthetic which is conveying it. I am more interested in what that aesthetic does than the fact that it’s incapable of many things. His games may be the rawest demonstration of ‘words + your imagination + puzzles = a particular type of engagement’, and IF folk are always on about the power of words, and sometimes about the other things.

Anchorhead (1998)

I’ve finally admitted Anchorhead to my top games. This appreciation was hard won/acquired in the process of readying myself to participate as an author in Cragne Manor. I’ve decided to acknowledge all that’s good about Anchorhead in spite of the fact I’m of the school that think it’s simply too difficult by design.

Andromeda Awakening (2011)

This sci-fi game is the reason we have all the Andromeda games.

Aotearoa (2010)

One of the first games I played when I returned to text adventures in 2010. It made me think, ‘Wow, this is how these games could be treating players, and these are some of the new things they can do.’ That’s on top of it being a really good game in its own right, and I don’t really separate the two. It’s an earnest G-rated adventure, well-written and action-packed in spite of relatively hefty wordiness. The delivery has the kind of grace and flow that tends to make a game of any genre stand out.

Coloratura (2013)

This sci-fi/horror game is both conspicuously gamey and a visceral exploration of different characters’ emotions. Someone said (somewhere? In a previous voting thread? In a review?) that they haven’t come back to it. And I haven’t come back to it either since I originally played it, but for me, that’s not criteria suited to every game. There are lots of great books I haven’t read more than once, nor felt the need to until a lot of time had passed. I’m trusting my memory on this one.

Cragne Manor (2018)

A new entry to my list. So, I helped write it, but only about 1/80th of it. This semi-blindly-mass-written supernatural horror-exploration puzzler surpassed all expectations and turned out to be almost a new model of parser game, potentially hyper-detailed within every room but also limited in difficulty scope within each room. The macroscopic difficulty (inter-room puzzles) is made manageable by an incredibly useful hint device that nevertheless doesn’t feel spoilery. And to think that all it took for Cragne Manor to come about was that Anchorhead had to be written, then twenty years had to pass, then scores of people had to produce material within a multi-document framework supplied by the two organisers who then had to work for months coralling and overseeing the material before the testing began!

Harmonic Time-Bind Ritual Symphony (2016)

This is my most rad new pick amongst my top games.

The blurb is, ‘A musician’s manic episode binds fiction and reality into a joyful union’ and the game genre says ‘psychedelic’. I’ll just paste the last paragraph of my review of the game, below:

“Harmonic is a big, fun game that is generous about ways in which you might experience it. It offers a main story track, lots of optional content, lots of helps to access both of the above, interesting meta content and scores of ideas about existence, both wacky and thoughtful. Also, I didn’t know anyone could make a game I’d really like that also had this much recreational drug-taking and Grateful Deadism in it, two things I would normally have to endure through gritted teeth. Philosophically, I understand that one of the (many) reasons I respond so positively to Harmonic is because the game is organised and disciplined art, even though it’s about a lot of things and people that aren’t necessarily organised or disciplined. I do feel the primary author shared or simulated (or both) a difficult-to-share personal experience successfully, too.”

Kerkerkruip (2011)

The best tactical dungeoncrawl in parser form. High replayability due to its randomness. Also pretty difficult. I often end up saying its name ‘KruhKruhKruh’, like I’m coughing.

Strange Odyssey (1979)

My other favourite Scott Adams adventure. Relatively speaking, Adventureland comes across as friendly, whereas Strange Odyssey is hostile and alien in feel. Again, this is ultimately a treasure hunt, but the treasures are on different worlds, reachable through a portal in an abandoned spacecraft. Each world is very dangerous. You might step through a portal into an incompatible gravity field and be crushed immediately. I like the sense of unpredictable danger and mystery in this game. The minimal prose works well because the worlds are more threatening without explanation. There’s also a unique effect involving subliminal flashes of other locations appearing (this also happens in The Count, and it seems likely it happens in other Adams games as well) but this effect is absent from the Inform ports. So what would I say about those ports? Don’t play 'em! Use an emulator of some 8-bit machine.

Suspended (1983)

The first Infocom game I ever played. I didn’t achieve much (I was maybe 10?) but I kept playing the early part again and again because I loved the chilling atmosphere. I got creeped out when the robots dispassionately reported on the arrival of the humans who had come to turn me off. Also there’s the whole business with the robots themselves, named after their propensities (kinda like the Smurfs). I liked moving their counters around on the real board, studying the board and thinking about what might be in different locations. I’ve still got my original copy of this with the big frozen face prop.

Transylvania (1982)

I wouldn’t feel right not having a single Apple II graphics & parser game in my list. Those were the first adventures I played: Mystery House, Wizard & The Princess, etc. And of course those were the first adventure games to ever have graphics. But those early Sierra games haven’t aged well, and though the Apple II was the home of this style for other companies, too, I find those games mostly too ‘all over the place’ to easily recommend to a wider audience today.

I previously listed Lucifer’s Realm to represent this type of game, but now I think a better all-around choice is Transylvania. The fact that Transylvania appeared on numerous platforms, graphics included, is probably also a commercial testament to its relative accessibility.

Wishbringer (1985)

Wishbringer’s the Infocom game I actually like the most. It’s also the first Infocom game I completed, but that doesn’t hold a nostalgia point for me, rather it speaks to the fact that most Infocom games are too hard for me. It is Wishbringer’s modern day fantasy story, subject matter, menacing atmosphere and the idea of a world transformed into a nightmare version of itself that I am drawn to.

You Will Select A Decision (2013)

Perfectly written and one of the funniest things I’ve ever read or played.

4 Likes

Lime Ergot - Caleb Wilson
howling dogs - Porpentine
A Trial - B Minus Seven
Hadean Lands - Andrew Plotkin
Counterfeit Monkey - Emily Short
The Baron - Victor Gijsbers

I would nominate Fallen London, but I fear I’m biased.

3 Likes

I fear I can make up my list just copying from yours. Also, the reason why these are the best games ever is well documented over the history of IF, so… I will leave that space blank intentionally.

80 Days

Anchorhead

Birdland

Galatea

howling dogs

Kerkerkruip

LASH

Rameses

Red Moon

Savoir-Fair

Shade

Slouching towards Bedlam

So Far

Spider and web

Snowball

Sorcery!

The writer will do something

Trinity

Vespers

Wishbringer

I think the only one deserves some commentary because some people are not familiar with it is “The writer will do something…”

Apart from how well this is written, this modern classic just nails the chaos that is to write narratives for triple-A games. Just check the Wikipedia article to see the critical reception of it, and of course, I heartily recommend you to go and play it right now.

Also, I think some games of Level 9 are underrated. Just, you all people are a lot into “Infocom Legacy” that fail to appreciate how good Red Moon, or Knight Orc, or Snowball, are. Also, I like a lot Dungeon Quest, but I don’t think it does something revolutionary, it is just a goddamn really good treasure hunt.

2 Likes

This is my top 20 in no particular order:

Worldsmith
Absolutely amazing Sci-fi puzzle-fest with great story. Also technically impressive. Be sure to select (S)tory when the game begins and NOT (G)ame, if you want to experience the full game. Further more, the difficulty level of the first puzzle will be easier.

Pogoman GO!
Hilarious comedy with puzzles and RPG elements.

The Axe of Kolt
I think the ADRIFT works of Larry Horsfield are the most underrated games in the IF-community, probably because they are ADRIFT 5 games, making them less available, and since they have been published outside the competitions. The Axe of Kolt is the first in the Alaric Blackmoon series and one of the best too. Long and polished.

Gnome Ranger
One of the best Level 9 games and the first game featuring Ingrid the gnome. A great puzzle-fest.

Wishbringer
Together with the Zork trilogy, this is my favorite Infocom game. It has much atmosphere and is great for beginners.

Kaged
A scary dystopia with great plot twists along the way.

Lydia’s Heart
A very well executed horror story/puzzle-fest.

Zork I
One of the first IF-games and one of the best too.

Die Feuerfaust
English game despite the title. In my opinion the best ADRIFT game ever. As all of Larry Horsfield’s games it is long and highly polished.

Ingrid’s Back
My favorite level 9 game. Great humor, great puzzles. Sequel to Gnome Ranger.

The Wand
A fantasy puzzle-fest with a limited verb set. Highly original and well working game mechanic.

Treasures of a Slaver’s Kingdom
A very well written comedy with a lot of well balanced random combat.

The Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening
A short but highly original puzzle-fest.

Anchorhead
This horror game is perhaps the best IF-game ever. Starts out easy but gradually gets harder, just as it should. I have only played the 1998 version though.

Zork II
Just as good as Zork I but with new original puzzles for the time.

Blue Lacuna
Amazing Story, good puzzles. Hard to describe. Check it out.

Illuminismo Iniziato
Great comedy puzzle-fest. This is a sequel but can be played independently of the first game. I think this sequel is the better of the two, since it has better puzzles and a touching ending.

The Lost Children
Among the best ADRIFT games ever. Also part of the Alaric Blackmoon series, though not as long as other games in the series.

Zork III
The most original in the trilogy. Puzzles range from time machine puzzles to the complex Royal Puzzle.

Junior Arithmancer
A highly original math game.

I’m getting a lot of nice tips here for further games to check out! So far I’ve only played about 100 games, and 23 of those I had given five stars on IFDB, so it wasn’t too hard making my top twenty:

Alias ‘The Magpie’, by J. J. Guest
Brilliant and funny.

Anchorhead, by Michael Gentry
My absolute favourite work of IF. It turned out to be slightly too difficult for my first IF, but 50 games later I managed to complete it. The story is a masterpiece and each puzzle is perfectly intertwined in the story.

Babel, by Ian Finley
Another great story with puzzles to match. I can still feel that arctic cold when thinking about it…

Bullhockey 2 - The Return of the Leather Whip, by B F Lindsay
My favourite game from Spring Thing 2019, which was my first participation in an IF comp (as a player). It features lovely characters and great puzzles.

Christminster, by Gareth Rees
A true classic, not far from Anchorhead. It contains a few timed puzzles that were on the verge of being too tricky, but more than makes up for this through its immersive setting and lively NPCs.

Counterfeit Monkey, by Emily Short
A delight for linguists all over the word!

Cragne Manor, by Various Authors
The announcement for Cragne Manor was what made me want to start playing IF. It was just as epic and mind blowing as I had hoped.

The Edifice, by Lucian P. Smith
The language puzzle alone makes The Edifice worthy of inclusion in any top list.

Endless, Nameless, by Adam Cadre
Most things that could be said about this game would be a spoiler. Just play it, if you haven’t already.

Gun Mute, by C.E.J. Pacian
A second-person IF shooter. Crazy concept. Excellent execution.

Inside Woman, by Andy Phillips
The longest and most difficult game I have completed. It features several nice twists and tons of great puzzles.

Perdition’s Flames, by Michael J. Roberts
An epic game, perfectly executed and truly well balanced.

Shade, by Andrew Plotkin
I love surrealist narration. I loved this game.

Sub Rosa, by Joey Jones, Melvin Rangasamy
A game in which everything is strange, even you.

Suveh Nux, by David Fisher
My fist one-room puzzle-fest. Delightful!

Tethered, by Linus Åkesson
A short but very engaging story, featuring slightly unique puzzles.

Theatre, by Brendon Wyber
Another classic, a game that felt just right with perfect puzzles and optimal length for the story.

Violet, by Jeremy Freese
The perfect IF comedy. It’s funny because it’s you who are doing it!

The Wand, by Arthur DiBianca
Once you complete this brilliant game, you can complete it again, even more brilliantly!

The Wizard Sniffer, by Buster Hudson
Epicly funny, with lots of fantastic lateral puzzles.

4 Likes

Thanks for the lists! CMG, unless you explicitly disapprove of it, I will count Fallen London among your votes. Just to make clear that I don’t care about bias.

I’ve entered the first four lists in this document; the rest will of course follow. That document should be read only. I’d be happy of someone can confirm this for me. :slight_smile:

Yes, “read only” it is.

2 Likes

I think Victor has said each of us is defining our idea of best. Re: Dungeon Quest, being revolutionary isn’t mandatory in my list, but it can be for yours. I’m just saying that you don’t have to be shy in adding Dungeon Quest, unless you think it doesn’t quite make your own best list.

(Though you’d probably have to specify which Dungeon Quest it is. I’m guessing there’s more than one game with that name.)

Re: Infocom-centrism. Well, not many people have posted in this topic yet :slight_smile: but I think Infocom won the hearts and minds war by getting in early and being prolific (and good, of course). Level 9 had their own interpreter that let them port things cross-platform easily, which potentially should have worked for them the same way it did for Infocom. It didn’t seem to here, though. I’m speaking from the Australian experience at the time I was a kid, which I think is similar to the USA’s in the 8-bit era (Apple II dominance) then overlaps more with the UK experience when we get to the 16-bit era (the Amiga was big here, less so the Atari ST). I saw reviews of Level 9 games in UK computer magazines, and I remember a rave review of Jewels of Darkness, but I didn’t see the games much on the shelves here that I remember. So I can only say, for Australians, I think a minority got into Level 9 in the day for various logistical reasons.

-Wade

1 Like

80 Days - It’s ridiculous how many different stories there are in here, and equally ridiculous how well-written, surprising and thoughtful they all are.
A Study in Steampunk - A huge Sherlockian Choicescript epic, my favourite in this format.
Beyond - Riveting parser mystery-horror “giallo”, clearly inspired by the works of Dario Argento et al.
Dead Like Ants - Poetic simplicity. Short but perfectly formed.
Eat Me - A six-course meal to die for, the best writing I’ve ever seen in a game, and gameplay that provides a perfect “flow”.
Ecdysis - Lots of great Lovecraftian pieces in IF, but this is the one that I keep coming back to.
Eric the Unready - Laugh-out-loud hilarious stuff from Legend Entertainment’s great post-Infocom era.
Escape from the Man-sized Cabinet - Stephen Colbert’s promotional web-IF for his talk show… not sure if it’s still available, but if it’s still hosted on an archive somewhere, play it! Perfectly captures his comedy style.
Gateway - Legend Entertainment’s Frederick Pohl adaptation is amazingly immersive and creates a universe of possibilities (the sequel is good, but doesn’t quite have the depth of imagination on display here).
Hoist Sail for the Heliopause and Home - Andrew Plotkin’s masterpiece? Of all his work, this one hit the sweet spot for me. Great writing, clever direction of the player, poignant.
Lone Wolf Saga - The classic 80s gamebook series gets a perfect free mobile adaptation.
SLAMMED! - A very replayable pro-wrestling Choicescript. Helps if you’re already a wrestling fan, but it’s not a requirement. Tons of branches and outcomes.
Slouching Towards Bedlam - Creepy, weird, compelling. Incredibly original. Star Foster RIP.
Sunless Sea - Fallen London meets Pirates! I didn’t enjoy Fallen London, and bounced off Sunless Sea initially. I tried again when the Zubmariner expansion was released, which indirectly reduced the ship micro-management survival stuff, and suddenly it all clicked. Amazing world-building.
Superluminal Vagrant Twin - Like Elite, but with a proper story, and in text adventure form. Does so much with so little.
Swigian - An accidental masterpiece? This was made to prove a point about IFComp, but it somehow strikes a tone, and a mood, and a style that just work together.
Trial of the Clone - A Mobile CYOA from Tinman Games that actually manages to be funny, a rare feat in these days of memes and pop-culture references. Not on IFDB but it should be!
Varicella - The “Game of Thrones” of its day. Dark, disturbing, deliciously naughty.
Vespers - Medieval horror parser IF that Goes There.
Wizard’s Choice - Delight Games’ schlocky page-turner for mobile is filled with surprise after surprise. From a pretty traditional fantasy adventure opening, you won’t believe where the story ends up by volume 6. Also not on IFDB. Again it should be!

1 Like

Photopia, by Adam Cadre (1998)
Spider and Web, by Andrew Plotkin (1998)
Galatea, by Emily Short (2000)
Shade, by Andrew Plotkin (2000)
The Gostak, by Carl Muckenhoupt (2001)
All Things Devours, by half sick of shadows (2004)
Adventurer’s Consumer Guide, by Øyvind Thorsby (2007)
Lost Pig, by Admiral Jota (2007)
Blue Lacuna, by Aaron A. Reed (2008)
Gun Mute, by C.E.J. Pacian (2008)
Hoist Sail for the Heliopause and Home, by Andrew Plotkin (2010)
Counterfeit Monkey, by Emily Short (2012)
Hadean Lands, by Andrew Plotkin (2014)
Weird City Interloper, by C.E.J. Pacian (2014)
Beautiful Dreamer, by S. Woodson (2015)
Chlorophyll, by Steph Cherrywell (2015)
Toby’s Nose, by Chandler Groover (2015)
Inside the Facility, by Arthur DiBianca (2016)
Superluminal Vagrant Twin, by C.E.J. Pacian (2016)
Tally Ho, by Kreg Segall (2017)

1 Like

P. S. Furthermore, I want to declare that the new cover art for Nemesis Macana is hysterical.

2 Likes

A Mind Forever Voyaging
Cryptozookeeper
Die Kathedrale
Eric the Unready
Fallacy of Dawn
Futz Mutz
Gateway
Gateway 2
Hexuma: Das Auge des Kal
Lost Pig
Lydia’s Heart
Necrotic Drift
Spellcasting 301: Spring Break
Suspended
The Edifice
The Plant
Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish Out of Me
Timequest
Trinity
Winter Wonderland

(I’m ashamed to admit that I never played through Planetfall. It seems to have pretty much everything I want from a text adventure, but somehow every time I fired it up and started playing, I didn’t continue playing it. Then too much time passed and I simply forgot about it. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Thanks, all the lists above have now been put into the spreadsheet.

Ausgerechnet, if games should be on the IFDB, please remember that the IFDB is a community effort and that anyone can add new games!

Thanks. Let no one say that the Ottonians had no sense of humor! (Schudspeer actually references those doors in his in-game essay, so it was an easy choice.)

I would like to, but both Delight Games and Tinman Games have extensive libraries (Delight: 23 games Tinman: 28 games) So adding these two games would also require adding all the rest at the same time. Too much effort for me without a “bulk upload” feature.

This is utterly impossible. I want to apologize to all the authors and their wonderful games that I’m not voting for because I’m only allowed to vote for twenty. I also want to apologize for my obvious bias towards large puzzle games, and even there I had to pick and choose.

Sigh. Here are my votes, in alphabetical order:

1. 1894: A World’s Fair Mystery
  2. Adventurer’s Consumer Guide
  3. All Hope Abandon
  4. A Beauty Cold and Austere
  5. Blighted Isle
  6. The Chinese Room
  7. Counterfeit Monkey
  8. Eat Me
  9. Eric the Unready
  10. Firebird
  11. Hadean Lands
  12. The King of Shreds and Patches
  13. The Longest Journey
  14. Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening
  15. Mentula Macanus: Apocolocyntosis
  16. Mulldoon Legacy
  17. Savoir-Faire
  18. Spellcasting 301: Spring Break
  19. Varicella
  20. Zork / Dungeon
2 Likes

Yeah, but I must choose 20 games, and so, my top 20 is ok as is without Dungeon Adventure. Sorry, it was Adventure, not Quest. And I meant, all Level 9 games.

Yeah, about the silly topic of Level 9 vs Infocom, I don’t know what I was thinking. Pure nostalgia, probably. :slight_smile: