ParserComp: plea for downloadability

I wouldn’t have thought that you need to download a Vorple game, as you would just download the story file and play it on your favourite interpreter. You can’t do that with Adventuron games, as there is no separate story file. The game engine and the compiled game are both included in the same html file.

No, that isn’t the case. If you run a Vorple game in a glulx interpreter, it doesn’t use most of the Vorple specific features and only renders the multimedia if there is Glulx code in place as a backup.

(“In most cases Vorple-specific features just do nothing unless otherwise noted in the documentation.” Compatibility with other interpreters · Vorple)

Aha, I see what you’re saying. Apparently Vorple has other features that allow you to integrate Javascript and what not into your z-code game, so those extra features wouldn’t be seen in a normal z-code or Glulx interpreter.

Exactly, that’s pretty much the only reason to use Vorple best I can tell :wink:

It’s definitely possible to publish a Vorple story for local play, but it would take a little bit of work to set up.

Thanks, I was wondering about that.

I’ve moved to a new thread to discuss the specifics since it isn’t esoteric to ParserComp:

I cant believe that itchio hasn’t an app for android or iphone. This guys are outdated.

That has been suggested on their forum and they said that their developers would rather spend the time on the mobile web site. You should try it. It’s actually quite good and has all the same features as an app.

2 Likes

But, can I download titles to play offline with that app?
Good, I will see…
Thanks for your answer.

It’s actually apps that are outdated; webapps are in vogue.

With all due respect (and general agreement in principle), not offering a download option games for offline use isn’t exactly “outdated” either. I’m sure the people in this thread have well-founded reasons for wanting offline access to games, and it’s obviously commendable to lobby game creators and the itch devs to offer that, but in this day and age I’m pretty sure it’s more common to be online 24/7 than not.

1 Like

I prefer offline play and typically avoid online only games. Just consider me an old curmudgeon.

3 Likes

I remember getting out my computer and getting ready to finally start playing Anchorhead Illustrated when we were on vacation in my parent’s little house in France. Middle of nowhere, no internet access, very bad phone connection.
I did get… let’s say grumpy… when Steam didn’t let me play the game I bought offline. Of course, I soon found that I could indeed play it offline, but the fact that this took extra clicks made me… let’s say grumpy

Seconded.

1 Like

Then I must be an old curmudgeon, too. (Whatever that is.) I prefer offline games, which is why I have saved offline copies of all the Adventuron games. This is so that:

• I can catalogue and organise the games however I like.
  • I don’t have to bookmark all the games I’m currently playing or may be interested in playing in the future.
  • I can play them whenever I like, internet or no internet, even when the service is down.
  • I do not have to chew into my data allowance every time I want to play the same game.
  • I am not subjected to slow download speeds or unreliable internet connections.
  • I have a copy of the game preserved for when the author decides to remove it from the internet or the web site disappears.
6 Likes

Short answer: A grumpy old fart.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s me exactly, but mainly at work.

1 Like

First of all I want to appologize for my poor english. I am sorry for the meaning of that message I wrote.
And then, I wrote “outdated” couse Android and ios are the most extended systems ever and there aren’t apps for both systems. Additionally both are the most “moving system”.

I don’t do “online only” anything. I insist on owning things. I will never use DRM restricted stuff like Steam.

3 Likes

Frotz works well with iOS and Fabularium works well with Android, at least for text based parser IF.

It’s not so easy. Fabularium don’t do transcriptions for betatesting and Frotz only permits games that you can download from a web site.

Anyway, I told about other thing.
Itchio haven’t an app that allows downloading games to play offline on Android and ios.

Salu2

I just want to note that I wasn’t trying to make a moral judgment in my comment. Of course anyone can be an old curmudgeon, go on vacation in France, and refusing to use DRM restricted services (note, however, that game publishers are free to refrain from using DRM with their games on Steam).

But it is not something most people think about. Without having any numbers to back it up, I’m pretty sure most people don’t care about DRM, and that playing games while being online is the norm. The former is a sad reality, perhaps, but the latter has allowed for the web to be a massive platform. That comes with its pros and cons, but the modern IF space (especially non-parser-wise, although that’s not really relevant for ParserComp) would be a narrow one without the web.

I’m not sure what my point is – like I said, I agree with the principle – but the low barrier of entry to making IF and games in general that the web has provided, also comes with a low barrier of distribution, which isn’t entirely a negative.

2 Likes