ParserComp 2022 - ONE WEEK TO DEADLINE!

You heard it, whoever you hundred are. Better deliver or Christopher’s makin’ it his personal business… I wouldn’t put it past him to set the dogs loose…

3 Likes

It’s time for 100 adventures!

Don’t set the dogs loose, Christopher, or fos1 falls! @.@

4 Likes

I was just looking at the rules, and noticed that 15% of the score is for multimedia, help, and feelies (3 categories).

If I remember from the TALP competition, itch doesn’t allow ‘no-voting’ or optional categories, so does that mean that everyone’s total score will be influenced by their use of multimedia? I’m okay with it, but it would change my plans for my game slightly.

1 Like

We have an algorithm that we are going to use to normalize the ratings in each category. It is our intent not to penalize anyone as much as possible. We have a lot of calculating to do…

2 Likes

No, because as @fos1 says, we’ll (=he’ll) be using advanced mathematics to determine final scores and will do that outside of itch.io.

I’m aware of the annoying itch ‘feature’ that means you can’t give no stars in any category in some jams, but I think we’ve circumvented that.

3 Likes

At the risk of provoking mass panic and looting, I should further remind all jam-joiners that there is now only 1 month to go before the deadline of 30th June 2022, upon which everyone is obliged, on sacred oath, to submit their parser-based masterpieces to the competition (or risk being taken off my Christmas card list - you have been warned).

It’s all terribly exciting and, over at ParserComp HQ, @fos1 and I have talked about little else over the breakfast table. We expect the massed hordes of parser game developers are by now testing and polishing up their games for submission, but if you haven’t even started yet there is still time! (But, you know - you probably want to be getting on with it sharpish).

See you again at the end of June!

Best wishes

@fos1 & Christopher

7 Likes

If anyone is still looking for a game idea, this might be a good storystarter:

A one-room breakfast-conversation game featuring @ChristopherMerriner and @fos1 .

I’d love to see how people imagine the ParserComp HeadQuarters. (Supercomputers spitting out code on punchcards, coffeemachines bubbling, some of those air pressure mail tubes whooshing top secret information capsules around,…)

7 Likes

:wink: You can get a glimpse of the supercomputers over at my Far OUt Science website…

It is well hidden in a deep, tornado proof bunker under the hills of Kansas…

2 Likes

Found you…

->KLICK HEELS 3x
->FLY QUAINT LITTLE FARM TO KANSAS HILLS
->BLOW POPPY DUST ON LASER SECURITY. CRAWL UNDER LASER BEAMS
->TYPE XYZZY ON KEYPAD
->FOLLOW PHOSPHORENT MOSS TRAIL
->PEEK AROUND CORNER
->HUH!
->GREET FLYING MONKEYS
->ASK FLYING MONKEYS ABOUT FOS1
…?
->GET OUT!
->LAUNCH COW AT BUNKER WITH CATAPULT!
->RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

3 Likes

Rumor has it that the aliens from Roswell were stored beneath the HQ building at Fort Riley on their way to Dayton…

Flying cows are not a threat…

I know, I took the ghost tour.

2 Likes

I know, I saw you pass by my usual spot at Mme Tussaud’s. You wouldn’t have recognized me. I had just taken off my polyfibreplastihumaniform skin and was having tea with the other Lurghellians (or “wax statues” as you punies call us.)

1 Like

So, um, I suppose I’d better get started, yeah?

1 Like

If you want still to be on my Christmas card list then you’d better.

2 Likes

You can think that way, seeing the glass half empty…

Or you can think like me, in the same situation, wondering where the hell the glass is X.X

EDIT:Procrastination Monkey and Panic Monster” make me start moving. I created a Project log in ParserComp 2022 forums in itch.io to try have you informed of the project development, and as a public compromise for me starting to work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

100 people have joined! Wow.

Garry–well, I started my project June 14th and did well enough so I think you’ll be okay!

That said I’m glad to hopefully be ahead of schedule for once. It’s not a huge project, but I’m pleased it dropped in, as it feels like a much better fit for ParserComp than IFComp.

7 Likes

Good luck everyone! Can’t wait to try these games!

6 Likes

I hope you’re all sitting down and have the smelling salts ready when I tell you that the ParserComp 2022 game submission deadline is now only one week away!!

[Those few of you who haven’t fainted, stay with me]

Over at ParserComp HQ, @fos1 and I have for days been batch-baking canapés and polishing wine glasses in anticipation of the big event, whilst wondering what will be revealed on 1st July. If ever there was a time to speculate about numbers in the absence of any hard evidence (like a pundit on polling day, but without even an exit poll to guide us) then now is that time.

How many games will be submitted? 0? (that would be awkward). 100? (unlikely, but not outwith the realm of possibility). Perhaps we should play it safe and confidently predict that somewhere between 0 and 100 lovingly crafted, devious, delightful, heartbreaking, fragrant, and altogether wonderful parser games will be lined up and ready to play by you, dear reviewers and judges, when the curtain rises on the competition in a mere 7 day’s time. Can you bear the excitement?

See you all on the other side!

13 Likes

Yipiiiii!!!

One week to freedom!!! !!!

I will see the sun again!!! !!! !!!

3 Likes

There are five entries so far.

What a conundrum, I would rate them all “First Place”!

4 Likes

I have a few final questions, and maybe others have them too. But I wanted to check to make sure I wasn’t missing anything.

First, for those of us in the USA, remember that it’s not end of day June 30th in the USA, but 6 PM in the Central time zone, 5 PM Eastern, 4 PM Mountain and 3 PM Pacific.

I’d also assume it’s a good idea to put up a draft page on itch so you don’t miss out. That also helps smooth out kinks with the web version, etc. And I also assume (IIRC) if you forget to flip the switch changing something from restricted/draft to public, the admins will be able to see this and notify the prospective contestant so it can be fixed.

In any case I’m looking forward to see who else has an entry. I won’t want to review during the comp, but afterwards, I hope to fill up IFDB as best I can.

It’d be great if we could have more entries and more votes than last year, to follow in TALP’s footsteps of bumping it up a notch.

5 Likes