ParserComp 2022 - ONE WEEK TO DEADLINE!

It is the time to be submissive…

10 Likes

Hello everyone

We’re excited to announce that the ParserComp 2022 submission window is now open, over on itch.io!

Here at ParserComp HQ, @fos1 and I have been busy polishing the silver, dusting the window ledges, airing the linen and getting the guest rooms ready for all the games that we’re expecting to turn up at our door over the next couple of months. With 77 registrations and counting, it promises to be quite a party!

Authors: you now have a mere 2 months, 23 hours, 29 minutes and 17 seconds remaining to finish off and submit your games to the competition before the deadline of 30 June 2022. Feel free to casually and carefreely submit them right away if you just want them off your plate, or else take it right down to the wire and scrabble to submit in the final few frantic seconds before the deadline, in the traditional manner; the choice is yours.

Judges and Reviewers: we’ll be needing you! Please make a note of the voting window, 1 July to 31 July 2022 in your diaries and prepare yourself for the awesome responsibility of determining the recipient of the above fabled, exclusive, solid-gold-ish lamp trophy.

Best of luck everyone!

11 Likes

Best of luck to the ParserComp… I wish I could participate, but I’ll be lucky if I find the time to finish my big parser game for this year’s IFComp…

3 Likes

This level of participation is very exciting, but at the same time I am only human so would it be bad form to hope that amongst the 77 are a reasonable percentage of flakes?

(It’s fine, you can just wait for IFComp!)

2 Likes

I think we can forgive you that ignoble thought - we don’t want to burn out our judges and of course, other competitions are available (although, naturally, ours is the best one)!

With the usual attrition rate, we should hopefully at least match last year’s number of submissions from the 80(!) now signed up.

2 Likes

I’m doing my part to ease the load by making my game this year pretty short lol.

4 Likes

Done! Looking forward to this year’s crop.

2 Likes

99 “flaking” heroes on board!

Join now! the 100 “flaking” one can make the difference! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m an old curmudgeon. What does “flaking” mean? :wink:

1 Like

Frack me if I know! I haven’t got a flippin’ clue!

(Really, I have no idea. Help an old fart out would you?)

1 Like

Fat is the secret to a flaky pie crust, and the more pie, the merrier.

Does “join jam” signify an expression of intent to enter? Or does it just allow you to follow the jam for updates?

(Please look forward to the 2030 debut of my first parser game).

2 Likes

It means that everyone who has joined is a wonderful person and I fully expect them to honour the binding promise that they’ve made to deliver up a fabulous parser-based experience by the stroke of midnight on 30 June (or else there’ll be trouble).

4 Likes

I guess it’s more or less an intent to enter. Realistically, it’s seems to be around 20-25% of entrants who actually produce the goods by the finishing line in these jams. That still translates to a lot of new parser games.

3 Likes

Speaking of parsercomp, I’m writing a game in Dialog, and I’m wondering whether to enable the hyperlinks or not. It’s allowed by the rules, I just wonder if people are into that or not.

1 Like

I guess it can’t hurt as people don’t have to use them if they don’t want to?

1 Like

–reactionary old fart rant- Does that mean my parser-focused noun-scanning reading experience would be interrupted by pesky blue spoilery keywords? In which case I’ll pass. –/ reactionary old fart rant-

There are probably people who benefit from hyperlinks for ease of use/accessibility reasons, particularly on phones I imagine. So why not?

1 Like

Oh, i thought “flakes” meant “People that participates in the jam but finally does not have a game to show when deadline arrives” ¬.¬

From “flakes”, I decide to take gramatical risks and use “flaking” as a description for this kind of people… ¬.¬

And “Join the Jam” I thought was the same as “Join the army”, you know, “participate”… ¬.¬

If not, my game in “English written by a Spannish enthusiast” will finaly be more funny than what I would like, for the wrong reasons XD

By the way, i’m writing now a post asking for help checking my raw english texts once i finish them, if someone feels in mood… ^.^

4 Likes

I imagine they’d be useful for linking to metatext (feelies, music, any in-universe media outside of the executable) and could enrich the experience if used well. There are likely other uses, too.

Speaking as a super old-timey parser player, I see no inherent problem with the technique. It would come down to the specifics.

2 Likes

100 “flaking” heroes on board today! :slight_smile:

4 Likes