Notifications gone AWOL? (fixed)

I’ve noticed that my notifications are off and have been for at least the past few hours.
I only get a notification when someone hearts one of my posts/replies. I don’t get anything when someone tags me, quotes me, replies to a post of mine. I also don’t get that nice little green envelope to warn me I have a personal message in my mailbox.

I’ve just heard that @keturion has the same issue, so I don’t think it’s on my end. Anyone know what’s going on?

EDIT: I just checked my own preferences. Turns out my “Live Notifications” setting was disabled. I haven’t touched this since I signed up with intfiction. No idea what happened.
Apparently I had to enable this setting manually through my browser settings, which I did. I can’t for the life of me figure out how this got turned off.

4 Likes

The notification system is still not notifying me. Hearts show up, but nothing else. By checking the “Latest” page, I saw that I had been replied to, quoted and tagged. None of these showed up in my notifications. I also found that someone had sent me a PM without a little green envelope showing.

I have gone to my browser settings to allow intfiction notifications. I disabled and then re- enabled “Live notifications” through my personal Preferences on this forum. I have cleared my cache and done a hard refresh of the forum page. I logged out and logged back in. I turned off and restarted my computer.

If this was a decade or two ago, I would also have unplugged my machine, waited five minutes and then plugged it back in. I’m at a loss.

@HanonO , is there any way you can use your omnipotence to see why I’m not getting notifications, or otherwise guide me through a step-by-step foolproof (because I am a fool when it comes to matters technical) recipe for getting my Notifications back?

(Sorry for imposing on your time for something that might well be obvious. )

4 Likes

This might just be normal server jank since we’re getting some 500 errors currently, but there was an update where I turned on notification filter/categories. Sometimes if you leave a forum tab open and an update happens you’ll need to close the tab and reload the page, or possibly log out and back in. You might have been stuck on the “like” tab showing just post likes and the UI hadn’t been reloaded for you:

I will use my magic to view your account and see if anything else is wrong.

4 Likes

I saw that you were preparing a reply to my post above so I moved away from intfiction on purpose before you entered it. I came back just now and there was no notification that you had posted this reply.

Thank you for using your magic for the good of humble peasants like myself.

3 Likes

Right now your top notifications are hearts all the way down. If you switch tabs in the notification drop down, or go to the notifications tab on your profile and scroll down there are are other notifications. I’ll check after I reply to this to see if your notification works.

3 Likes

Okay, it does not appear the notification arrived for my reply to your post.

Right now I think we’re having some back-end server lag, so it’s possible this might just need to re-sync. Try logging out of the forum and back in to see if anything changes. I toggled your notifications off and back on when I was emulating your account. One other thing - try switching to a different theme and back and see if that might force everything to update.

If anyone else has noticed this let me know. I’m getting correct notfications as usual.

1 Like

Will try. I’ll log out and come back on after I put my son to bed. See you soon.

2 Likes

@Dannii can you take a look? I’ve bumbled around simulating Rovarsson’s account and tried everything from the inside I can think of.

3 Likes

Nope. Since I created this post I should have gotten a “Reply” symbol (the hooked arrow) in my notifications for your reply just now where you tagged Dannii. I didn’t.

2 Likes

Sorry. I’m gonna see if Dannii has any ideas, or this might straighten itself out once the forum is back to normal with the timeouts and the 500 errors.

3 Likes

Flagging that I’m having the same issue with notifications (I’ve also been getting the 500 errors etc. so I suspect you’re right that it’s all connected).

3 Likes

Reporting same issues as Mike, across a restarted desktop browser and mobile browser. In fact, a 500 prevented me from even posting this.

2 Likes

No 500 issues, but same issue with notifications.

2 Likes

500 errors here too. I didn’t report this because someone else already had, but now it seems the two may be connected.

3 Likes

Yesterday I tried doing a forum update, which failed. I thought it shouldn’t have had any impact, but I guess it’s causing occasional issues now? I’ll do an update from the command line which should fix everything.

5 Likes

(Hops into a trench to wait out the reset)

4 Likes

We’ll all be staring at the “Main”-screen waiting to pounce on the pale blue dots as new replies appear.

3 Likes

Forum update is complete and notifications seem to be running now!

9 Likes

I just got some of those delayed notifications showed up, so yeah, seems like it’s working again – thanks!

3 Likes

Thanks Danii!

3 Likes