Milliways hint requests

So, I seem to be stuck in the dark.

I noticed that ā€˜seeingā€™ isnā€™t mentioned, and I can ā€˜seeā€™, which shows me my surroundings, including a dark blur. But nothing I do actually seems to do anything. The hints for the dark only point me towards the idea that there is a sense I can use, which I had already figured out. Any further hints?

3 Likes

I havnā€™t played Milliways but if itā€™s anything like the original Hitchhiker youā€™ll need to take it one step further. like see. examine dark blur.

3 Likes

There are in-built hints and a direct walkthrough, both which help you through the game!

But if youā€™re really stuck: roght now, once you can see the blur, you will notice itā€™s "looking at you disapprovingly. Do itā€™s alive. So TALK TO BLUR. Or SAY "HELLO". etc.

2 Likes

Ah, okay, thanks. I think what got me stuck was that I had already tried two dozen ā€˜ask blur about Xā€™ commands, which were understood by the game but didnā€™t do anything useful, so I didnā€™t realise that ā€˜talk to blurā€™ was a distinct possibility.

2 Likes

Okay, I immediately have another hint request. :joy: Iā€™m hidden behind the big computer. The hints tell me to wait. But Iā€™ve already waited about one hundred turns without anything happeningā€¦ do I need to persevere in waiting, or do I need to do something else? I donā€™t think I can leave this space at the moment.

2 Likes

That appears a bug ā€¦ Do you have transcripts? Try restarting from a near save file. This looks very bad.

EDIT: Hmm. Itā€™s working for me. Plus, checking the source files, there appears to be absolutely no reason that should be happening.
Can you tell me: (if you can remember) how you exited the Interview room, and if you can see the ā€œbehind, you, you can hear alarms blaring, etcā€ when running through the hallways?

1 Like

Iā€™ll send you my transcripts!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve run into an issue quite similar to Victorā€™s last ā€“ Iā€™ve just made it to the ark, and after getting the meat by asking nicely, I couldnā€™t find anything else to do. From the hints and walkthrough it sounds like I should eventually get teleported again, but Iā€™ve hammered Z around 150 times and nothingā€™s happened, so Iā€™m wondering if this might also be a bug? Transcript attached, and yes, I fat-fingered milliways as milliwars, sorry!.

milliwars 2 mr.txt (144 KB)

Edit: When I restored from the beginning of the ark sequence, I ran into the same issue, but then I loaded an earlier game and it seemed to work correctly this time. So seems like a bug, hope the transcript is helpful?

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry you fell into that! I am currently working to edit all of these problems (through some techniques that will work but are very messy), though some that occur across rooms or with loads of moving parts (the Morpher Ship and the Interview Room, for example) wonā€™t be able to be fixed. Iā€™m glad you got around it though!

2 Likes

This fileā€™s got some stuff I feared - and on that, some post-comp edits (eg. Ford, Zaphod & Trillian because it says only bug-fixes during comp). Thanks so much!

3 Likes