Mike Russo's ParserComp 2022 Reviews

Deal!

3 Likes

This sounds like the theme for an upcoming comp. For anyone short of a village name, I’d recommend The Meaning of Liff and The Deeper Meaning of Liff, both by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd.

EDIT: Ah, there’s a third book in the series: Afterliff by John Lloyd and John Canter.

3 Likes

Why not Wains Cotting, a “little Dorset village”? https://tinyurl.com/wains-cotting

1 Like

Coincidentally I played Dee’s Morris a little while ago. And then sent it to my pal Nick to play too. We are both big Hitchhikers fans. We both agreed after playing that it was very Adamsian :smile: @dee_cooke

5 Likes

You Won’t Get Her Back, by Andrew Schultz

(I beta tested this game, so this is more a series of impressions than a full review – and full disclosure, I don’t even get to the game until paragraph six, so it’s not even short)

I’ve enjoyed seeing other folks sharing their histories with chess as part of their reviews of You Won’t Get Her Back, so here goes with mine. As a nerdy kid, I was course into chess: before the internet and the long tail all nerdy kids were pretty much into the same five things, plus whatever you randomly stumbled across in thrift store-used bins or bootleg tapes from a friend with relatives in Japan. And so since chess was part of the package, so I was in the chess club in middle school.

This basically just meant that during lunch periods, I’d play chess against other kids, and occasionally Mr. Young, the teacher who ran chess club. He was a short, powerfully-built ex-player for the Israeli national soccer team – with some level of celebrity, we kids were dimly aware, though now that Wikipedia is a thing I can confirm he was definitely the real deal – who now coached sports classes in a suburban New York school. In retrospect, he was straight out of a Philip Roth novel, though that wasn’t one of my main reference points as a 12 year old. Anyway every once in a while he’d play against one of us, and he didn’t hold back in the slightest, chortling with demoniacal glee as he slashed a queen into the back ranks or wove an ineluctable web of pawns to pin down a free-floating rook.

There was one time, though, when I was playing him, and playing the game of my life – I mean I don’t remember it in any detail, but I must have been, because I actually made it to the endgame with him, and in better position. What I do remember is that I had a bishop in reserve, that once I got it out from behind a yet-unmoved pawn, I’d be able to set up long-range checks that would let me clean up his remaining pieces, probably advance that pawn, and finally, finally win against Mr. Young.

Then he giggled, and somehow took the pawn with one of his that was next to it, putting my king in check while he off-handedly told me about the en passant rule. That was pretty much the last time I enjoyed a game of chess – something about the idea that there was this secret, hidden rule to the game that nobody had ever bothered to explain to me, just lurking until it was sprung like a trap to deny me this one moment of glory, profoundly offended my sense of fair play

Years later, I became a lawyer, an irony that I’m only now noticing.

If this has anything to do with You Won’t Get Her Back – and it doesn’t, that was just an incredibly self-indulgent lead-in, sorry Andrew – I repeat, if I were to try to reverse-engineer some relevance to the actual game I’m theoretically reviewing, it would be to say that I came to it with a predisposition to dislike gimmicks in chess, and it must be confessed that this chess puzzle in parser form has even more of a gimmick to it than the author’s previous games in this genre. Those – Fourbyfourian Quarryin’ and Fivebyfivia Delenda Est (best title of 2021) – involved placing different pieces on a shrunk-down chess board to set up a favorable endgame scenario. Here, we’ve got a straight chess puzzle, like you read in the newspaper, with the player’s actions actually moving the pieces and the opponent moving their pieces in turn – and it all hinges on pawn promotion. Despite that predisposition, though, I really dug YWGHB.

Partially this is due to the narrative content of the game, because it’s not just a dry exercise in piece manipulation. The setup involves the white player being down to just one pawn and their king (the player character), partially because the king couldn’t bear to see any harm come to his wife (the queen) and played too conservatively. Black has their king and a rook, so definitely has the advantage, but of course there’s a chance to succeed, as your king sets his sights on getting his pawn to the enemy’s back rank and promoting it to bring back his queen (thus the title). The writing takes this situation seriously, which I found surprisingly effective – I was definitely motivated to win not just because I wanted to solve the puzzle, but because I wanted to reunite these lovers cruelly torn apart by war.

Still, the game is 99% chess, and the other takeaway from the above story is that I haven’t played the game even semi-seriously in 30 years, so I pretty much suck at it. As a result, my progress through YWGHB primarily involved trial-and-error bashing as I got to the right solution after trying pretty much every incorrect one I could think of. Thankfully, even this rock-stupid way to play is still satisfying, because much as you accumulate knowledge through your failures, you also get a bit of fun ending text describing how you’ve fouled things up, and also get an achievement for your trouble. I’d like to tell you that I’m annoyed by achievement mechanics and how ridiculous it is that we’ve gamified our games. But I’m not made of stone, achievements are fun, and there are a ton of them here so even if winning felt beyond my grasp much of the time, I could at least try to lose in ever-more-exotic ways.

I won’t say too much about the solution, except that it does involve a really cool aha moment, so I can see why Schultz was motivated to implement this puzzle, specifically, in IF – plus it doesn’t require too much chess knowledge to hit on the answer, and the game does a good job of providing a few nudges after the obvious moves fail. There’s also an included walkthrough if the going gets too tough, alongside the author’s characteristically-extensive help and meta commands to orient the player (I realize I also haven’t yet mentioned that the chessboard is fully implemented in ASCII art).

I suppose there are expert chess players for whom YWGHB will be too lightweight to be enjoyable, as they just buzz-saw through the puzzle with their superior knowledge. Similarly, as someone’s first introduction to chess, it’s likely too punishing, with that damned rook jumping on the slightest misstep and resetting things back to the beginning – one critique might be that stalemate doesn’t feel much better than a loss, which may be true in the land of chess puzzles but maybe makes less sense given the conceit that this game is a war between countries, where the difference matters a lot. For folks with some experience of chess but who don’t solve the thing as soon as they look at it, though, I think this is a satisfying puzzle to chew on, with really robust implementation and some nice narrative grace notes.

8 Likes

The man who ran my chess club was called Mr. Knight, and I remember him being about 300 years old. I dropped out of chess club after a couple of months, having failed to win a single game.

4 Likes

What a compliment, thanks :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks for the review, Mike! (And for your help testing–it was directly responsible for a few features I was very glad to be able to get in there.) I am quite pleased you found the time and motivation to discuss your own personal experiences with chess.

stuff about en passant

En passant does, indeed, feel “no fair” although it makes a certain amount of sense.

There’s a youtube channel with chess.com support videos, and they say “Every day we get loads of reports complaining that an opponent’s pawn ninja’d theirs, but it’s actually en passant.” Which is good for a few quick laughs, and yes, I’ve run into “white to play and win” chess problems where en passant was the right move, even though that would mean the previous move was actively and obviously egregiously bad.

Then there’s this: I've been waiting my whole life for this checkmate - YouTube (most may want to skip to 6 minutes to see the end, after the intro). It’s one of those weird jokes that can bring a surprising amount of entertainment to chess and chess puzzles.

And I think we all at any level have a horror story about endgames. One of mine was actually two weeks before I played this game. I had rook and 4 pawns versus rook and pawn against someone rated 500-600 points higher than me and let the lead slip away to a draw. (I could have lost it.) And I was an above-average club player at the time. I still remember this if I swindle an undeserved draw or win out of someone 600 points below me who has played well. So I guess both players walk away unsatisfied in that case. Chess can be cruel!

And with computers, I’m still shocked to see relatively simple possibilities I missed when I thought I saw everything. It’s just, endgames should feel simple, right? There are only so many possibilities. But there are surprises. And I wanted to try to capture that with this puzzle.

I’ll save the details for the postmortem but the TLDR is, I appreciate everyone so far who’s found something despite its limitations and potential annoyance e.g.

1. as you mentioned if people know the position, they will blow it off
  2. if they don’t know the position, there may be a “geez what a cheap trick” feel.
2 Likes

Of Their Shadows Deep, by Amanda Walker

I beta tested this game. My game Sting is also listed in the author’s note as one of its inspirations, a paragraph ahead of such lesser influences as Sylvia Plath. I can assure you that I’m no way biased by this, because Jesus, I can’t go five minutes without being compared to Sylvia Plath. Like, if you asked me, “Mike, would describe Sylvia Plath’s writing as lambent, incisive, and alive to the contradictory power and vulnerability that have been freighted into the concept of the feminine,” I would of course say yes; and if you asked me, “Mike, would you describe your own writing as lambent, incisive, and alive to the contradictory power and vulnerability that have been freighted into the concept of the feminine,” I mean, I wouldn’t want to negate your interpretation, so I’d have to say yes to that too. Plus we both have a love-hate relationship with Ted Hughes, we’re basically the same person.

More seriously, the reason I usually say my responses to games I’ve beta tested aren’t reviews is less because of a fear of being biased – I generally have no problem giving polite but direct feedback even to my nearest and dearest when I think it’s justified, which as my wife will attest is a delightful character trait – and more because I don’t trust my own experience of game. Usually I’ll have tested a beta version just a few weeks before the final version is released, and it’s really hard to revisit the game and put aside the impression I had of it when it was in a less-refined form and my brain was in testing mode, which can vary quite a lot from how I’d normally approach a game.

Here, though, I think I last looked at the game in February, which is long enough that I feel like I was coming to it fresh when I just replayed it. So I’m confident in my judgment: this is a really good game, a compact jewel of a thing that only really does one thing, but that one thing is so complex, and so well-realized, that it feels quite big indeed.

On the most mundane level, this is true because the author’s implemented a bevy of helpful features that make this feel like a proper game, not simply an amateur affair. There’s very helpful help text, a small number of evocative line-drawn images, an ASCII map, hints for the puzzles – well, riddles – on offer, and a good amount of quite complex “concrete poetry”, where words take on the shape of what they describe, which must have taken an ungodly amount of work to get right (plus there’s a screen-reader mode to make this all accessible to those with visual impairments). It’s easy to dismiss this stuff as trifles, but it makes an impression, communicating that this is something the author cares about and is trying very hard to create inviting on-ramps to all sorts of players, and engage as many of their faculties as possible.

That’s just the mortar holding the thing together, though. To stick with the architectural metaphor, there’s also the façade. Prose in parser-based games is so often workmanlike, pressed into service of many masters at once; I can count on the fingers of one hand the authors who can achieve real literary effect under these constraints without landing the player in a hopeless muddle. Well, add Amanda Walker to that list – all the writing here is just lovely, but the landscape and wildlife descriptions are especial highlights. One early excerpt will stand in for many:

Shadows dapple and darken. A rabbit darts across the steps in front of you, its white tail bobbing briefly, and then it is gone into the undergrowth… Birds call. They flash bright against the naked branches: cardinal screams red; goldfinch blazes sun.

Still, the façade is just the façade, and we’ve yet to talk of the bricks. What ultimately makes Of Their Shadows Deep so affecting is what it’s about: aphasia, the loss of language as words are stripped from a once-vital mind. There’s a layer of fictionalization here, via the magic realism of the puzzles, but even without the author’s note at the end stating the real-world background, it feels very obvious that this is an autobiographical work. Nothing in this dilemma feels abstract; there’s real emotional weight behind everything the protagonist does, from their game-opening flight from an unbearable situation to the final return and catharsis.

Impressively, this isn’t just a frame around standard meat-and-potatoes gameplay. While you do solve such typical IF puzzles as lighting a dark area and chopping through a foredoomed door, all this is accomplished primarily through words – not in the degenerate way all IF is words, of course, but by solving riddles. Half a dozen times, you’ll be confronted with an obstacle, only to find a sheet of paper with a bit of poetry that poses a riddle. Answer it correctly, and you’ll be gifted with an instantiation of the thing you’ve guessed, allowing you to progress.

It’s easy to overlook how smart this is, because of course riddles are a traditional part of the IF repertoire, but here the point isn’t to tease the player’s brain – in fact the game’s riddles are all fairly simple, which is good because every single riddle is too easy or too hard, or both – it’s to play the theme. The primarily gameplay consists of receiving intimations and cues pointing to an object, then, once you’ve successfully carried out the act of naming, gaining mastery over the thing. There’s an elemental, Adamic resonance to this that implicitly communicates its own negation: what happens when you can’t summon the name? Does that mean losing the thing itself? Of Their Shadows Deep has an answer to that, in a lovely final puzzle that wasn’t there when I did my testing, and which ends the game in an unexpected moment of grace.

If the reader will forgive my wrapping up this review by once again talking about myself – and spoiling Sting while I’m at it – I found this last note quite moving. I don’t have the same experience Amanda writes about, of having a loved one’s mind eroded away bit by bit, but I did lose my twin sister to cancer two years ago, at the untimely age of 39 (Sting is a response to this, and the way it retroactively reconfigured pretty much every memory I have). Everyone always says people fighting through cancer are brave – and they’re right – but even by that standard, Liz was a tough, ornery patient, refusing pain meds until literally the last week of her life. By that point they needed to give her very strong stuff, and over the course of the days she spent more and more time sleeping, or staring off in a daze, her use of language mostly fled as her mind and tongue went slack.

The last night but one, before I headed to bed, I hugged her and told her that I loved her, and that I’d be the one sitting up with her tomorrow night (we were taking turns to make sure someone was there, just in case… nobody completed the thought). I’d done this before, and she mostly wasn’t able to respond – but this time, with difficulty, she got her arms around me too, and was able to grunt something incomprehensible, then did so again, just about the only sounds she’d made that day.

I’m aware that sounds like a horrible story when I tell it, but maybe if you’ve ever been in similar circumstances, you’ll believe me when I tell you those few seconds were the happiest I’d felt in months. Moments like that can’t change what’s going on, but in those situations, when you’ve lost so much but there’s somehow so much more still to be lost, they’re all that’s left – and that can be enough. I can’t being to imagine how to render that in prose in any real way, though – all I’ve done here is kind of describe and gesture at the experience – but I think Of Their Shadows Deep captures something of that intuition, which on top of everything else it does, is a hell of a crowning achievement.

12 Likes

And that, I believe, is your lot! Thanks once again to all the authors, and to @fos1 and @ChristopherMerriner for organizing – and to the other folks who’ve been writing reviews, since I’ve really enjoyed your insights too.

I’ve got a few IF Comp games queued up for testing over the next week or two, but after that, I hope you all will join me as I return once again to Cragne Manor

10 Likes

Personally I found it very moving.

3 Likes

I Agree.

3 Likes

Thanks Mike, for yet another reviewing tour de force. As an author yourself, you don’t need me to tell you how incredibly valuable and how much appreciated this sort of lengthy, detailed and considered feedback is. And the same gratitude extends to @kaemi, @vivdunstan, @kamineko, @heasm66, @groggydog and anyone else I’ve missed here who is also taking the time to review this year’s games. You’re all wonderful people, and most definitely on my Christmas card list.

Now, back to the Manor with you…

9 Likes

It’s been fun! It’s a good excuse for me to get out there and try more games I might not otherwise have tried.

2 Likes

Thanks for everything, Mike. What’s funny is that Plath WAS a lesser influence. Last year, I saw you and @Encorm do really brave things in your work-- take on your grief over loss in unflinching, honest, beautiful ways and put it out publicly. The bravery of that really impressed me (as did the quality of those games), and it seemed to me that doing such a thing might be cathartic. So poor old Sylvia would never have had a chance to inspire me if I hadn’t ginned up the gumption to write the thing in the first place, and I would never have thought that was possible without Sting and This Person Is Not My Father.
Thanks for this beautiful review.

And I know Ted Hughes was a scoundrel, but have you read his book Crow? Good lord, it’s fantastic. So yes, love/hate relationship with him here, too.

5 Likes

Christopher - I’ve emailed you several times but they’s all bounced. Could you email me with your address to check it.

2 Likes

Will do, Jim.

It bounced again!

----taps table----

Very good, sir.

2 Likes

I threw the board off the table and kicked the pieces the first time my uncle put his king behind a wall of pawns when I was closing in on him. He then told me about something called a “rocade” or castling.
Fortunately, after my first fit of righteous anger, I incorporated this experience in my play and went on to beat him not long after. Decisively.

2 Likes