Let's Play: Cragne Manor

Just wanted to drop in and say thank you for all the kind words on my room—it was a blast to write, and I really appreciate the way Ryan and Jenni not only were willing to accept some of the weird stuff I proposed doing but also yes-and-ed it all to an even weirder place than my initial idea.

A couple more points:

• yup, I typoed when I wrote “cubit” and had meant “qubit”, but I kinda dig the misunderstanding of a unit of distance for a unit of information
  • yes, the Irish reads “what about the Yellow King”, although I’m sure my grammar’s not the best :slight_smile:
  • I would fully encourage the xyzzy plan but would advise having a save in place before trying it in either of my rooms—I don’t remember exactly what I added but I do remember asking Ryan and Jenni if it was okay because it could mess up someone’s game.

Anyway, thanks again for all the kind words—this was an amazing project to work on, and it’s great to see folks enjoying it. I look forward to working on another piece of IF someday soon, but I sent Ryan and Jenni my code from the waiting room at the hospital while my son was being born so things have been a bit more hectic since :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you for tagging me on your play of my room! It was a joy to read your responses. I howled over your comments on the Star Wars novels; my wife could hear me at the other end of the house.

A few fun facts:

I lifted every one of those reviews of A Million Random Digits from the book’s reviews on Amazon. (I did do some light editing.)

After I wrote the room I did a quick estimate of the size of A Billion Random Digits. Even with really thin pages (like those in Bibles) the estimate I came up with is that the book would be about three stories tall. I mentioned this on the Cragne Manor Slack channel, and one wag said it was no big deal; he’d read plenty of books with more than three stories. Ba-da-boom.

Given all the space and time bending going on in Cragne Manor; a 628,000 page book on a pedestal is probably fairly mild.

The combination is random; I believe it gets set when the player starts a new game, so different players will get different combinations.

I really liked the idea of a painting covering up a safe that contains an object depicted in the painting. There’s a similar scene in one of the Wallace & Gromit shorts that was probably bouncing around in my head at that time.

Again, it was a lot of fun to read your playthrough comments!

6 Likes

https://youtu.be/kV7AIG6U1TU?t=176 - I was re-watching “The Wrong Trousers” a few days ago…

4 Likes

I think noting that if you’re in a Lovecraft game and you read a tome, you’re probably going to go nuts, doesn’t count as a spoiler :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks for stopping by and sharing that background! Now I’ll definitely need to do the XYZZY tour as a bonus update. And I admire your commitment to getting your code in – I finished my IFComp entry last year two weeks after my son was born (it had a game-halting bug, of course; yours was quite clean though!)

Glad you dug it!

Oh my gosh, those were real? I’m guessing like 90% of them were in on the joke…

I actually was considering doing the math on that myself, but I thought that would be overly pedantic even by my standards – I’m glad I held off so you could share this!

2 Likes

The Rand book is the size of a normal paperback, right? Scaling up from that to tome-sized (tomes are usually quartos, right?) should easily give you a factor of 4 or more. So it only has to be one story!

1 Like

(Chapter the Fourteenth, continued)

That wraps up the accessible areas of the second floor, and we have a bunch of stuff we can do back in Backwater, but we managed to snag a rusty iron key in the study, so let’s first check if it unlocks any of the doors in the Manor.

We strike out on the locked doors on the second floor, but there’s one one on the ground floor, the kitchen door down to the cellar:

>x door
A wooden door with a rusty iron lock is set in the northeastern corner between the counter and the fridge. It looks heavy.

A rusty iron lock, you say?

>unlock door with small rusty key
You ease the big key into the keyhole and give it a twist. It moves, but doesn’t make a sound. Success?

>open door
You grab the hinges, plant your feet, and yank the trapdoor wide open.

Aha! Let’s take a quick look downstairs before breathing the fresh air again:

Basement (Ivan Roth)
It’s dark and chilly down here. Something squelches under your feet. Looking down, you realize why: a damp, mildewy carpet of dimly visible design covers half the floor. It must have been luxuriously soft before it started rotting.

An old, rusted toolbox sits nearby. A rickety staircase leads back up towards the heavy wooden door to the kitchen. A flimsy plywood door leads north, presumably to more storage. The dimly-lit basement extends in every other direction, south, east and west.

That’s a lot of exits! We might not make it back to town for a while yet.

Ivan Roth has put out one other game, from the IFDB blurb a Lovecraft pastiche with a twist – the protagonist is nonwhite and it’s set on an airplane – which seems cool.

Let’s check things out.

>x carpet
This carpet is vast and wetly soft, crawling with mildew, gray molds and skittering black insects. The design is faded and obscured, but it almost looks like an enormous eye…

>touch carpet
Slimy wetness clings to your fingertips. How disgusting.

It’s been a minute since we ran into some mold – I have to say that I have not missed it!

>taste it
You taste nothing unexpected.

I should really stop that. Anyway, wonder if there’s anything under there?

>take carpet
Taken.

Er, I was just trying to pull it up to check! When I look again, the location description still mentions the carpet, so pretty sure we weren’t supposed to be able to take that, but hey, we’ll cart that around, it’ll make a nice companion piece to the ichor-stained rug we got from the basement above the sewer (now that I think about it, maybe we weren’t supposed to take that either).

There’s nothing interesting in the toolbox description, but let’s pop it open:

>open toolbox
You have to force the lid a little bit, and there’s a loud crack as some kind of rusted lock bursts apart into dust.

You open the rusted toolbox, revealing a jar of old keys and a jar of screws.

>x jar of old keys
The label on this musty jar indicates that it’s meant to store old keys. You’ll have to open it up to see what’s in there.

>open it
You open the jar of old keys, revealing a splintery wooden key, an ornate bronze key, a sinister iron key, a frosty blue key, an intricately folded origami key and a silver and ivory key.

Jeez, that’s a lot of keys! We have accumulated a good number of locked doors, so this might get us through a bunch of them. It would be nice to have a keyring to be able to try multiple keys at once, it occurs to me – I wonder whether this jar will work that way? We’ll try that out next time we hit a lock; in the meantime, I won’t clutter the thread with six back to back descriptions of keys, but I thought this one was interesting:

>x origami
Folded out of a single piece of paper, yet unmistakeably a five-toothed key, this is a real work of art.

Fortunately, my attempts to unfold it come to naught.

>x screws
An old jar with a label that says “Screws”. The glass is so cloudy that you can’t see what’s inside unless it’s open.

[You can type HINT for a hint at any time.]

>open it
Handling the screws jar, it feels strangely light, and when you open it you realize why: It’s empty. Not one screw.

Huh, not sure why that HINT prompt came up, everything here’s seemed pretty straightforward – the screwless screw jar is a little bit of a mystery but I’m not gonna lost any sleep over it.

The coffee disagrees, though, and thinks there’s still a (solvable) puzzle here, even after I take the empty jar on the off chance it’s useful.

I’m wondering whether the issue is that the plywood door is locked, but nope, it opens at a touch, and all the other passageways are open. What are we missing?

We try one of my go-tos:

>take all
rusted toolbox: Taken.

Always handy to have another container, I guess, but no overlooked objects.

…oh wait, I’ve borked things, haven’t I?

>look under carpet
This rug is so huge and disgusting that it would be easier to just drag it out of the way.

>move carpet
You gingerly pull aside the enormous carpet. It’s no easy feat - the thing is awfully heavy - but once it’s out of the way you’re able to see that there’s a flat, person-sized metal hatch built into the basement floor.

Yup, was on the right track, just got a little too grab-happy (though Nitocris will never back off from the ethos of taking everything that isn’t nailed down)

>open hatch
With some effort, you force open the metal hatch; it gives a crack, and in a swirl of dust it opens into a moldering darkness.

Great, no lock, and now the coffee says we’re done. But wow, there are a lot of exits here. The north passage is the only one with a door, so maybe start there?

Cold Storage Room (Jeremy Freese)
Aunt Mavis used to keep her peaches in a room just like this. Except that room had chirpy yellow wallpaper, and this one’s walls are covered with strange glyphs written in blood.

Also: no peaches. The room is empty except for the thing on the floor.

You can see a thing here.

Ah, Jeremy Freese! He wrote Violet, the IF Comp 2008 winner, which previous to this was his only game – heck of a debut. Violet is very funny and wrangles the parser responses in clever ways; we’ll see if those approaches hold true here.

…oh, but wait, first let’s go back to the basement since as always I forgot something:

>x me
You can’t see yourself directly, but you have a pretty good idea. You have dark circles under your eyes, your hair is frizzed. It hasn’t been a good day. Peter has to be somewhere, right?

Right, but hopefully the “somewhere” is somewhere a bit more sanitary than this basement.

Okay, back to cold storage, and let’s investigate things – or rather not-things, at least to start:

>x peaches
There are no peaches here. Which is just as well, as you haven’t touched a peach - nor a nectarine, nor even a pluot -since you returned home that summer.

Aunt Mavis’s cold storage room had loads of peaches. She had men deliver new ones at least twice a week and take the rotten ones out.

The weird thing was that you were the only one that ever ate any: two a day, at Aunt Mavis’s insistence. “A growing girl needs her peaches,” she’d say. And whenever you asked why she bought so many peaches, she’d just airily reply, “Oh, a lady can never have enough peaches.”

Once again, this seems like it’s gotta be a Cragne’s memory overwriting our own – if nothing else, given the way royal family trees worked in Ancient Egypt, Nitocris’s aunt is probably also her mom.

(We can’t EAT PEACH – bringing the count of commonalities between Nitocris and J. Alfred Prufrock to one – or do anything else to them, since of course there are no peaches).

>x wallpaper
Aunt Mavis’s cold storage room had wallpaper. This room just has a bunch of crazy glyphs written in blood on the walls.

>x blood
Which do you mean, the jf-glyphs or the dried blood?

Ooops!

>x dried
The blood has dried out and turned brown.

Er. This is coming from our inventory, but I have no idea what specifically we’re carting around that’s caked with blood (at least it’s only one thing?)

>x glyphs
As a kid you saw a movie - while staying with Aunt Mavis, in fact - in which a woman was trapped in a small room and knew she would die, and she cut herself so she could use her blood to write a message on the walls for whomever found her body.

This reminds you of that, but if what’s scrawled on the wall is a message, it’s not in any sort of writing system you’ve ever seen.

Huh, would be nice to translate that, it seems important.

>smell it
This might look like Aunt Mavis’s cold storage room, but it doesn’t smell like it. It smells like - raw oysters, maybe? Some sort of shellfish.

That’s odd but I guess not too unexpected.

Well, let’s check out this thing:

>x thing
Aunt Mavis once gave you something just like this. You didn’t know what it was and were too embarrassed to ask.

…I’m sure that will be useful somewhere.

>take it
As you do, a powerful and familiar fruity smell - peaches? - makes you woozy.

When your head clears, the room has chirpy yellow wallpaper after all. So it is even more like Aunt Mavis’s. And, there’s a satchel on the floor that you can’t believe you didn’t notice earlier.

You look around to see if you missed anything else and see that there is a now giant eyeball in the wall where the door used to be.

Yeah, once again we’re getting some timey-wimey bleedthrough – we’re probably tuning into the memories of some much-older Cragne cousin (cold storage rooms haven’t been a thing for quite a while, I don’t think!)

Anyway there’s a giant eyeball, we’ll get to that, but now that we’ve grabbed it do we have a better idea of what it is?

>i
You are carrying:
a thing just like that thing your aunt gave you which you never knew what it was

Oh, OK! All our stuff went away, which makes sense since we’re not Nitocris anymore, but things are still clear as mud.

…hmm, there’s something about that description that’s striking me as familiar.

>touch thing
It has an elusive feel to it.

Figures.

>x wallpaper
Such a cheerful hue was really out of character for Aunt Mavis, as the rest of the house deployed more of a “Mid-Century Mortuary” color scheme.

Trying does cause you look more closely at the walls, and when you do, you notice some drawings on them, in crayon that is the same chirpy yellow as the wallpaper.

>x drawings
They are all the same: five-pointed stars with what looks like an eye in the middle. Now that you notice them, there are dozens, maybe more than a hundred, all over the walls of the room.

More Elder Signs, looks like – their presence is reassuring, the need for that many is not.

>x eyeball
You haven’t seen an eye this blue since Aunt Mavis died. And while you know full well that it is the muscles around the eye that convey emotion - especially the brows - and not the eye per se, the way this eyeball is looking at you nevertheless conveys a sense of urgency.

I mean if I were a giant naked eyeball – so I couldn’t blink – I’d look pretty urgent too.

>x satchel
Aunt Mavis used to have a satchel just like this, right down to the initials monogrammed on its front. The satchel is closed.

>open it
You open the satchel, revealing a heavy garment.

>x garment
To examine the garment, you pull it out of the satchel. As you do, you realize that it’s a robe. You’ve seen robes just like this before.

Also, now that the robe is out of the satchel, you can see that there are still a small cloth and some papers inside it.

>smell robe
I guess you don’t know if what you are smelling are peaches per se. It could be nectarines. There are none of either here.

>x robe
It’s a long black robe like the ones the men wore when delivering the peaches to Aunt Mavis. Back then the robes reminded you of the Grim Reaper. Of course, now you associate it more with the robe the killer in Scream wore. (You make a mental note-to-Naomi to stop by Blockbuster and rent Scream 2.)

You notice a label on one of its sleeves.

Gotta love the topical content.

Oh, speaking of quote-unquote Naomi:

>x me
You look down at your hands and are surprised by how young and smooth they look. You make a note-to-Naomi to buy more of that new moisturizer you started using.

Yup, we’re a baby Cragneling.

>x label
The label on the robe’s sleeve reads:

MEDIUM (WOMEN'S)

90% ENCEPHALOPOD
10% VELOUR

Another fine product of the
Dunwich Fibernetics Corporation
“Your cult deserves comfort”

>wear robe
You put on the robe. It’s much bigger than you were expecting, like it was made for someone much taller and larger than you are.

This robe is supposed to be medium? You make a note-to-Naomi to contact the Dunwich Fibernetics Corporation when all this is over and complain to them about their robe sizing.

There must be some sort of mental block keeping Nitocris from figuring out what’s going on.

>x initials
The initials M. E. C. V. V. are monogrammed onto the satchel in a cursive font. Who knows what those initials mean here, but, for Aunt Mavis, they stood for Mavis Eustacia Crustacea Vaadigne Verlac.

Vaadigne was the way the name was spelled in the old country, of course, even if the families who emigrated to English-speaking countries had routinely simplified it to Cragne.

(Everyone assumed, of course, that Naomi had taken Peter’s last name when they married, but she would never have done that. It was a fun coincidence when she and Peter met that they shared the same last name: a endless source for ribald jokes, especially since they looked like they could be siblings.)

Once again, our brain is reverse-engineering an incredibly-unlikely justification for why we’re experiencing these memories ourselves. That detail about physically resembling Peter might be right, though – given what we just flagged about Pharaonic marital preferences, maybe that was part of his appeal to Nitocris…

(“Eustacia Crustacea” is a good joke)

>x paper
You remove them from the satchel. They are clippings from various New England newspapers, including the Backwater Sturgeon. Looking quickly at the more intact clippings, they seem to all concern a series of child abductions in the region some years ago.

(You can EXAMINE the clippings further to learn more.)

There’s been substantial churn in the Backwater media market, unsurprisingly given what seems like a thin advertiser base – we’ve come across a Backwater Chronicle, a Backwater Banner, a Backwater Gazette…

>x cloth
You take it out of the satchel so you can get a better look. It’s a bib - a lobster bib. There’s a cartoon lobster wearing sunglasses and a fedora embroidered on the front. You’d know that lobster anywhere: it’s Jimmy The Claw, the “Lobster Mobster” mascot of the mafia-themed seafood restaurant in downtown Backwater.

You also notice a small tag attached to the bib.

>wear bib
You put on the bib. Aunt Mavis took you to The Codfather three or four times a week. You ate so much calamari that summer.

Must have shut down sometime in the last ~five decades.

The note on the bib tag are unsurprising:

>x tag
The tag on the lobster bib reads:

90% ENCEPHALOPOD
      10% COTTON

Another fine product of the
Dunwich Fibernetics Corporation
“Premium cloth goods for
restaurants and ritualists”

Let’s dig into the clippings:

>x clippings
As best you can determine, six children disappeared from their homes over a six year period. No one was ever arrested. The police never even figured out how the children were abducted. Family members would hear screaming, but in the few moments it took to reach their rooms, the children were gone.

You are amazed you never knew about these kidnappings before, not just because you are an ace journalist but also because the last of the kidnappings happened the year before you stayed with Aunt Mavis.

Add “ace journalist” to the list of our cover identities. We get more of the story if we keep looking at the clippings:

Of course, it would have been a bigger news story if the children were found murdered or were never found at all. Instead, the children turned up a week later, unharmed, without any memory of what happened or seemingly even awareness that anything had happened.

When the first child was found, asleep in her basement, it was considered a miracle. With subsequent children, the relief became increasingly tempered by a conviction that something awful was done to the children even if no one could figure out what.

Both police and public sought to figure out whether the victims had anything in common. You are surprised that the Backwater Sturgeon would print some of the speculations as letters to the editor. Silly stuff, like that the children all ate shellfish a day or two before disappearing, or that they were all abducted from rooms with brightly-colored walls. Worse still were all the bizarre claims about the significance of stone fruit.

The police did confirm some real patterns: the abductions all happened at night in summer months; there was never more than one a year.

The most recent clippings indicate problems emerging among the children a decade or so after their abductions: some initial reports of “severe behavioral issues” as adolescents and then many accounts of madness and violence, as well as at least one apparent suicide.

By this point, you’ve probably learned all you can from the clippings, as so many of the fragments are so blackened that you can barely read them at all. It is a testament to your crack journalism skills that you were able to determine so much from looking at documents that have been so significantly damaged.

(There is no reason to EXAMINE the clippings further unless you wish remind yourself what you’ve learned.)

Huh. We’ve heard about a lot of different people going missing, but the child abductions, missing time, and role of fruit all seem new.

I think that dispenses with the preliminaries, let’s go to the elephant eyeball in the room:

>x eyeball
The eyeball looks back at you, insistently.

Your own eyes are blue - of course they have to be, since both your mother’s and father’s are - but Aunt Mavis’s eye’s were the bluest of all. “There’s only one way to get eyes as blue as ours,” she said when you complimented her on them. “Inbreeding.”

You laugh thinking about it even now. Aunt Mavis didn’t tell jokes very often, but when she did she had the most deadpan delivery.

Again, there’s no way Nitocris has blue eyes, but inbreeding sure seems like one more thing we have in common with the Cragnes…

That description changed substantially the second time we looked at the eyeball, let’s try that again:

>g
The eyeball looks back at you, pressingly. You feel a strong urge to TOUCH the eyeball.

I mean of course I was gonna. Maybe we shouldn’t have our hands full, though:

>drop thing
When you let go of the thing, a shellfishy smell - oysters? mollusks? - makes you woozy for a moment. The room now looks as it did earlier, with bloody glyphs covering the walls and the door leading out to the south.

Oh, we can zoom back and forth, we aren’t stuck in the memory until we solve the puzzle. That’s nice!

Once we pick it up, we’re back in the memory.

I know the eyeball wants us to touch it, but that’s not how Nitocris does things:

>eat eyeball
Being a glamourous investigative journalist who has twice just missed out on being nominated for a Pulitzer, you have been to many parts of the world and eaten all manner of exotic cuisine, including the eyeballs of three different species. But you have neither the means nor the condiments necessary to eat the eyeball here.

Nicely done, Jeremy! All right, I’ll play along:

>touch eyeball
When you touch the goopy surface of the eyeball, a tiny squid-like creature shoots out of it, whizzing past your ear and hitting the opposite wall. The creature sticks to the wall for a moment and then, with an acidy hissing sound, burns its way through it, leaving a small hole.

Huh, that was unexpected.

>x hole
It’s a small, sort-of-squidly-shaped hole, no more than an inch wide. Two feet or so above the hole is a hitherto unnoticed rusty nail.

…wait…

>x nail
Aunt Mavis had a memo board on the wall of her cold storage room that listed all the chores you had to do down here before bedtime. Count the peaches; arrange them as a giant star on the floor; recite such-and-such words this many times. So many you’d be down here for an hour or two, and she would never let you start them until after it was dark.

This old nail might have been once used to hang something similar.

Oh god, that’s why the description of the thing sounded familiar.

[smash cut to extreme close-up of Nitrocris’s eye bulging in terror]

This is the Babel Fish puzzle.

(Continued soon)

7 Likes

Of all the things I expected to find in Cragne Manor, a thing your aunt gave you that you don’t know what it is was far, far down my list.

4 Likes

When I said there were 2 or 3 rooms that had big puzzles I was looking forward to, this was one. Although now I don’t remember if it was a big puzzle or a medium one, but it’s definitely high quality and the only IF work by Freese outside of Violet that I know of!

3 Likes

(Chapter the Fourteenth, concluded)

I haven’t actually played the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, but I have a sense-memory of playing this puzzle, or maybe seeing somebody run through it? Anyway I know the basic idea is that you need to keep blocking different places the fish squid escapes through, I think using your robe and towel and some other stuff? The hook right over the hole is a good place to start:

>put robe on nail
(first taking it off)
As you hang the robe on the rusty nail, you hear of the voices of two men through the hole.
“-the Sigil really powerful enough?”
“For a Vaadigne? The tome says it is.”
“But the tome also says to draw the Sigil with the sacred pigments, not Crayola.”

We’ll pay no attention to the men behind the wall.

>touch eyeball
Another squid shoots out of the eyeball. It sails across the room and hits long grocery-delivery robe. The squish slides down the sleeve of the robe and falls to the floor. The tiny squid sizzles there are moment before burning its way through the floor, leaving a tiny rift behind.

Progress!

>x rift
Admittedly, the “rift” is really more like a “hole” but calling it that would invite confusion. It’s maybe an inch or so wide.

While you don’t see a squid or anything else in the rift, you do hear a faint hissing sound, like however far down the squid is, it is still boring itself deeper.

Having been killed by a disambiguation issue in the Music Room, I’ll spot you “rift”.

I don’t know why everybody’s so down on this puzzle, doesn’t seem so bar (or at least, when you have a stripped-down inventory that happens to include everything you need):

put bib on rift
As you put the bib from The Codfather on the rift, you remember how Aunt Mavis would slip into more of her native tongue whenever she had a second glass of wine. Neemophod she called you sometimes, or Noomiphod, trying on different ways of mixing your name with the suffix that designates “young girl” or “daughter.”

>touch eyeball
Another squid shoots out of the eyeball. It sails across the room and hits black grocery-delivery robe. The tiny squid slides down the sleeve of the robe and falls to the floor, landing on the lobster bib.

A moment later, a cat that looks just like Little Nifty sprints past you-has she been here the whole time?-and grabs the squid. She darts left and disappears through the hitherto-unnoticed catflap in the wall.

Right, this is coming back to me – there’s like a vacuum-drone or something in the Babel Fish puzzle, I think. Oh, and there was a cat in the figurine collection down in the courtyard, right? I’m guessing our reward at the end of this will be another Alderman/familiar pairing.

>x flap
You thought it was totally weird that Aunt Mavis had a catflap leading from one basement room to another, but since this house also has one maybe they are more common than you thought. In any case, it’s the same chirpy yellow as the wallpaper and just big enough for a Little-Nifty-sized cat to dash through.

>put satchel on flap
As you put the satchel in front of the catflap, you can hear a woman shouting from a room above: “Might. I said it might work with five. Seven or even eight is ideal?”

Her voice sounds so much like Aunt Mavis. Moments later she’s yelling again: “-your kid gets taken next summer because you were too busy watching the fucking Rockford Files to come complete the ritual circle.”

I just went to double-check when this show was on, since I think it establishes more of a 1970s timeline for this memory (late for cold storage, no?), and confirmed that a) yeah, this show was on in the mid 70s, and b) the show I thought was the Rockford Files was actually Kolchak: the Night Stalker, and the show I though was Kolchak was actually Kojak.

>touch eyeball
Yet another squid shoots out of the eyeball, sails across the room, hits the robe, slides down the sleeve and falls to the floor, landing on the lobster bib. A split-second later, the cat sprints past you again. It grabs the squid and darts left toward the catflap. The cat plows into the satchel, sending the tiny squid flying through the air in a graceful arc.

The cat leaps after it, sprouting wings and transforming into a bat (whoa: Little Nifty never did that). The bat catches the tiny squid in its mouth before disappearing through a hitherto-unnoticed opening in the ceiling.

>x opening
Aunt Mavis had an opening in the ceiling of her cold storage room, too. When you asked why, she said it allowed the smell of peaches to fill the house.

Okay, feels like we’re getting close to the end, and beyond the clippings we just have the thing left in inventory:

>put thing in opening
You cannot reach it, nor can you transform yourself into a bat.

>throw thing into opening
You cannot reach it, nor can you transform yourself into a bat.

>throw thing at opening
Futile.

>climb opening
Your ace journalist intuition tells you that you won’t need to climb anything in order to surmount your current predicament.

Huh, maybe we’re going about this wrong – and I seem to remember in the Hitchhiker’s puzzle there’s like a flying cleanup drone you need to confuse. So maybe we can like confuse the flying-cat with the clippings?

>put clippings in satchel
There’s no reason to do that.

>put clippings on flap
The satchel is already in front of the catflap.

>put clippings on flap
You put the charred newspaper clippings in front of the catflap.

Maybe that’ll do it?

>touch eyeball
Another squid shoots out of the eyeball, sails across the room, hits the robe, slides down the sleeve and falls to the floor, landing on the lobster bib. Not a moment later, the cat that looks just like Little Nifty sprints past you again - how did it get back in here? - and grabs the squid. She darts left and, bounding over the newspaper clippings on the floor, disappears through the catflap.

Hrm.

Do we actually need something else? No, the coffee says we’re good.

Maybe we can put like the satchel on the hook, and the robe on the catflap?

Nope.

Are we sure we can’t do anything with the thing?

Yeah no, the thing remains its unhelpful vague self.

I am now getting the authentic Babel Fish puzzle experience, and it blows.

At the point I attempt TIE CLIPPINGS TO SATCHEL, I decide I’ll let myself check out a walkthrough – not of Cragne Manor, but of Hitchhiker’s, reasoning that this puzzle is clearly meant to rely on player knowledge of the Babel Fish one. So I do, and yeah, there’s like this flying vacuum robot, who you confuse by putting some junk mail on the floor-vacuum door. I could have sworn I already tried that and it didn’t work, but after more faffing about with synonyms, I hit on the magic words:

>put clippings on satchel
As you do, you notice something hand-written in capital letters on the back of one of the clippings:

OUR RITUAL CIRCLE OF RYN’VHHD’R WILL STOP IT FROM COMING BACK.

OUR SIGILS OF JNI’PLD’NA WILL LET HER KEEP THE GIFT WITHOUT IT DESTROYING HER SOUL.

BUT CAN THE GIRL DO HER PART?

Beneath which is a drawing of what looks like a cat with wings.

So weird. You make a note-to-Naomi to alta-vista that stuff with the apostrophes when all this is over.

The alta-vista gag is mostly enough to get me over my annoyed feelings at what feels a little too guess-the-verb-y (or, I suppose, preposition-y) for my tastes. Anyway, let’s bring it all home:

>touch eyeball
Another squid shoots out of the eyeball, sails across the room, hits the robe, slides down the sleeve and falls to the floor, landing on the lobster bib. A moment later the cat that looks just like Little Nifty sprints past you, darts left and plows into the satchel, sending the tiny squid and charred newspaper clippings flying. The cat jumps and becomes a bat, but with all the blackened objects in the air she mistakenly ends up with a bit from the Backwater Sturgeon in her mouth instead of the squid, which continues on its arc toward you.

The squid hits you in the eye. You scream as the scalding, hissing creature latches onto your eyeball and pulls. Your eye socket pops as it breaks. With a searing slurp your eyeball slides out and something gooey and hot squirms into your face.

You grab at your face but there isn’t a squid or anything else there. A few moments later the pain begins to relent and before long it has subsided considerably.

When you finally remove your hands, you discover the room is just as it was when you first entered - except the glyphs written on the walls in blood make much more sense now.

Umm, are we OK?

>x me
You feel around your face and confirm that, in fact, you still do have both of your eyes. (Even so, you lament the fact that a star investigative journalist could probably pull off an eyepatch if they were a man, but it would consign you to writing copy for third-rate rags like the Backwater Sturgeon. Or worse: the “web.”)

You shudder.

You bear the trauma of a woman who has been eye to eye with an eburnean pond kraken.

So I guess that was just like a metaphysical squid, or maybe it just ate the Cragne cousin’s eye in the past but by riding their memories we got their knowledge too? Either way we’ve got what we came for:

>read glyphs
Later you will learn that these glyphs are part of an ancient ritual language whose rudiments it has taken decades of collective efforts by linguistic anthropologists in order to barely comprehend. Yet, fairly recently, there were as many as seven people with the ability to read the language fluently, but you are the only one left who remains alive and sane.

“The Griseous Alderman of the Variegated Court has a familiar,” the glyphs say, “and that familiar is sometimes a cat and sometimes a bat and sometimes goes by the name Little Nifty.”

You realize as you read the message that you understand the ritual language even better than you do English, because in English you sure as hell have no idea what griseous means.

Griseous Alderman => cat/bat, got it. Now that we’re deeper in the game, the familiar thing is being stated more explicitly, which is a nice touch.

(Griseous is like a mottled white and brown).

Let’s take a last look around:

>l
Cold Storage Room (Jeremy Freese)
Aunt Mavis used to keep her peaches in a room that didn’t look at all like this. On the walls is a message written in blood, composed in an ancient language you know intimately.

There’s also the thing Aunt Mavis gave you. You now understand what it is.

Oh, we do? Great!

>x thing
At the beginning of that summer:
“But why do I have to go stay with Aunt Mavis,” you asked your mother. “I hardly know her.”
“She wants to get to know you better.”
“Why?”
“There’s nothing more important than family, Naomi. And also,” lowering her voice to a whisper, “she has a very special gift she wants to give you.”

At the end:
“You need me to pack? My ticket home isn’t for another week.”
“It’s for tomorrow, Naomi. You must have had so much fun staying with me that the weeks just flew by.”
You didn’t believe her until you got the newspaper and saw the date for yourself. Which raised a delicate topic:
“Aunt Mavis, I don’t want to be rude. But my mom said you were planning to give me a special present.”
“Yes. And please do be sure to tell her that I did.”

…wait, so what is it? This is going to bug me – in Hitchhiker’s, does that ever get nailed down?

Anyway, wham bam thank you coffee, at least we’re done here. That’s only three smallish rooms though, let’s stretch to get one more. Back to the basement hub, then we’ll go east:

>e

Pantry (Chris Conley)
You are in a pantry lined with metal shelves stretching the entire length of both walls. Most of the metal shelves’ contents lie deep in shadow, as the room is lit by only a single bare bulb hanging three feet above your head. The flat dark stones echo as you walk, and the air down here is cold and damp.

The rest of the basement lies off to the west. A dark doorway beckons to the east.

Pale roots of some unknown plant have broken through the ceiling in one corner, dangling halfway to the floor.

You can also see a disgusting rotting pumpkin here.

Chris Conley is another fairly veteran author, with a bunch of games in the early teens. His most recent piece is a ChoiceScript game about a shapeshifting android spy. I think he’s also on the forums, so I’ll tag him: @ChrisC.

This is a pretty jam-packed (groan) place, let’s check things out:

>x shelves
Eight stark metal shelves run the length of each wall between the two entrances of this room. They are about a foot deep, and absolutely stacked to the brim with dozens of aluminum cans, jars, jugs, and other containers. They are mostly labeled, or their contents easy enough to determine if you blow away the dust, but you have no idea what, if anything, in them might be of interest. You wouldn’t even know where to start.

They are, at least, organized by size, shape, and container material.

I’m sensing a puzzle – maybe we can find something yummy for that centipede in the shed here? Or missing ingredients for one of the kitchen recipes (though after we unlocked the basement door, I checked the coffee and it says we’re done with the kitchen qua location)?

>blow dust
Futile. It’s everywhere.

Worth a shot.

>x roots
The dangling roots are tan-colored, nearly white, thick and veiny. They branch off at strange, sharp angles, ultimately terminating in wispy strands that hang halfway to the floor.

>pull roots
The dangling roots are surprisingly resilient. You can’t break off any piece.

Not sure we want them anyway…

>x pumpkin
(the disgusting rotting pumpkin)
It is putrid, lying in a puddle of its own innards, sad and crumpled nearly to the floor. Two fat black flies buzz around the stem.

>x flies
Big black globs of buzzing annoyance.

>x stem
The abbreviated white pumpkin stem hangs limply.

>take pumpkin
(the disgusting rotting pumpkin)
You succeed only in coating your arms in pumpkin goo.

>take stem
There is a wet pop and you are left holding the pumpkin stem as the greater mass of the fruit shlorps back down to the floor.

>x it
The abbreviated white pumpkin stem hangs limply.

Umm, yay? I’m having a hard time thinking of what this will be good for, but it’s one more soon-to-be-mildewed item in the ol’ inventory.

I don’t see much to do beyond poke around the shelves:

>search shelves
There are cans, jars, and jugs of all shapes and sizes on the shelves. You’ll need to be more specific.

>x cans
Silver aluminum cans of various sizes (though all cylindrical). None stands out in particular; you could just pick one out to see what it says.

>search cans
You consider a voluminous can. It’s silver and garnet with a label that says: “Professor Lace Cordelay’s Not For Lent Peach”. The font makes you uneasy. It is exceptionally shiny. Then you put it back.

Oh, that’s fun – this must be generated text, but whereas I sometimes find that can be a little generic, this is a nice, evocative image. Let’s try some more:

>take cans
You nab a wide can. It’s black on one end, and the rose label reads “Chickpea and Poison Ivy and Cantaloupe (artificial flavor)”. Useless. You put it back.

I like this one too! We can look at cans, jars, and jugs, so I spend a bunch of time doing that – check the transcript for all the details, but here are some highlights:

>g
You take a large can. It’s rusting and the label has words crossed off in black marker, but you can still make out “Insensate Peanut”.

Funny story, that jam band I was in in college, where we changed our name to Vermin Nomenclature? One time we showed up at a gig and turns out one of the openers was also Vermin Supreme, for just that one gig we called ourselves Insensate Peanut.

>take jars
You look at a bite-sized jar. Its surface is opaque red and orange plastic, and in thick, scrawling handwriting, the jar is labeled: “Out of Time Honeysuckle Knobs Beer”. The text squirms when you don’t look directly at it.

>g
You take a wide jar. It’s made of thin blue glass, and the white label has faded somewhat, but you can just make out “Baptismal Water Gimlet”. Obviously worthless.

Sacrelicious!

>g
You pick out a typical jar. It’s made of thick orange plastic, and the midnight label reads “El Dorado Willie’s Refined Banana Leaf and Ghost Pepper Soup”. The label is cracked and peeling. It is otherwise unremarkable.

That actually sounds legit delicious.

>g
You choose a massive jar. It’s made of transparent mocha and amethyst plastic, and the label has been scribbled over in crayon, but it’s still legible: “Sexually Ambiguous Raspberry Syrup”. Useless. You put it back.

I am into these!

…the procedural general overall, I mean, not necessarily this specific syrup.

>g
(the dusty glass jars)
You heft a normal sized jar. Its surface is transparent chartreuse and speckled glass, and the label has faded somewhat, but you can just make out “Sasparilla and Cinnamon Potato”. The jar is chipped in two places.

>g
(the dusty glass jars)
You heft a thin jar. It’s made of thick ebony and yellow glass and the label has words crossed off in black marker, but you can still make out “Imitation Peas y Brussels Sprouts y Apple Porridge”. It feels oddly heavy.

>g
You consider a wide jug. It’s made from dark gray and yellow clay, and the hand-written label reads: “Indian Diced Pork Water”. There’s a dark bronze streak down one side. No value to you.

This one’s less appetizing.

>g
You grab a usual-looking jug. It’s made from light orange and red clay, and the label has been scribbled over in crayon, but it’s still legible: “Dublin Blackback’s Photogenic Breaded Vietnamese Musk Ox with Chicken Ambrosia”. The font makes you uneasy.

>g
You collect a massive jug. It’s made of glazed blue and charcoal ceramic, and the label has faded somewhat, but you can just make out “Torment Horchata”. The label hangs off at an angle. It is scratched all over. Then you put it back.

>take jugs
You take a narrow jug. It’s made from painted green clay, and in thick, scrawling handwriting, the jug is labeled: “Persimmon Calamari Pudding Drink”. The image printed on it is all wrong.

>g
You collect a typical jug. It’s made of glazed sepia and gold ceramic, and the label has been scribbled over in crayon, but it’s still legible: “Roast Durian and Almond Vodka”.

That world-beating run seems as good a place as any to stop; the coffee confirms we’re not ready to make progress here yet.

Just before quitting, I remember not to forget to X ME:

You absolutely look the same as you usually do. Well, more or less, considering what’s happened lately. But you try not to dwell on that.

You are feeling a bit peckish.

Actually I am!

Looking ahead to next time, we’ve still got plenty 'o basement.

Inventory

You are carrying:
a limp pumpkin stem
some charred newspaper clippings (smelling faintly of mildew)
a rusted toolbox (smelling faintly of mildew) (open but empty)
a jar of screws (open but empty)
a jar of old keys (smelling faintly of mildew) (open)
an ornate bronze key
a sinister iron key
a frosty blue key
an intricately folded origami key
a silver and ivory key
a splintery wooden key
a mildewy carpet (smelling faintly of mildew)
an ominous-looking painting
Legends of Lake Champlain and the Hudson River Valley (smelling faintly of mildew)
a small desk key (smelling faintly of mildew)
Tatooine 1: Anchorhead (smelling faintly of mildew)
a pink-bound book (smelling faintly of mildew)
a dull machete (smelling faintly of mildew)
a Carfax gig poster (smelling faintly of mildew)
a round white wall clock (smelling faintly of mildew)
a small rusty iron key (smelling faintly of mildew)
a 'Pataphysical Approaches to Quantum Superfluids (smelling faintly of mildew)
a black fountain pen (smelling faintly of mildew)
a teapot (smelling faintly of mildew)
a waterproof flashlight (smelling faintly of mildew)
an old paperback book (smelling faintly of mildew)
the slithering vomit bladder of Katallakh (smelling faintly of mildew)
an old newspaper (smelling faintly of mildew)
a metal flask (smelling faintly of mildew)
an Allen key (smelling faintly of mildew)
a broken knife handle (smelling faintly of mildew)
a thin steel key (smelling faintly of mildew)
a torn notebook (smelling faintly of mildew)
an Italian magazine cutting (smelling faintly of mildew)
De Zeven Testamenten van de Krijsende Zeeworm (smelling faintly of mildew)
a police report (“Francine Cragne”) (smelling faintly of mildew)
a newspaper clipping (“Rumors of Decapitations”) (smelling faintly of mildew)
a note from a seesaw (smelling faintly of mildew)
a pair of stone earplugs (smelling faintly of mildew)
a shard (smelling faintly of mildew)
a broken silver amulet (smelling faintly of mildew)
Mama Hydra’s Deep Fried Ones (smelling faintly of mildew)
A Culinary Overview of Superstitions in the Miskaton Valley Region by S. Jarret Zornwharf (smelling faintly of mildew)
Hyper-Gastronomy, Exactness, and String Theory: a Theoretical Subdiscipline of Cooking and Baking by Chef Wheldrake (smelling faintly of mildew)
red-rimmed porcelain plates (smelling faintly of mildew)
red-rimmed porcelain cups (smelling faintly of mildew)
a white key (smelling faintly of mildew)
The Lives of the Roman Emperors (smelling faintly of mildew)
a pewter box (smelling faintly of mildew) (open but empty)
a slip of paper (smelling faintly of mildew)
some rotten flowers (smelling faintly of mildew)
a copper urn (smelling faintly of mildew) (open but empty)
a silver urn (smelling faintly of mildew) (open but empty)
a bronze urn (smelling faintly of mildew) (open but empty)
a key from an urn
some mildewed leather gloves
a gallon jug of white vinegar (smelling faintly of mildew)
a pair of garden shears (smelling faintly of mildew)
a bronze key green from age (smelling faintly of mildew)
a rusty flathead screwdriver (smelling faintly of mildew)
a pair of blue cloth slippers (smelling faintly of mildew)
a trophy for a dog race (smelling faintly of mildew)
a glass shard (smelling faintly of mildew)
a black business card (smelling faintly of mildew)
an aluminum key (smelling faintly of mildew)
loose bricks (smelling faintly of mildew)
a clipboard (smelling faintly of mildew)
some yellowed newspapers (smelling faintly of mildew)
a shard of shattered carapace (smelling faintly of mildew)
an employee ID card (smelling faintly of mildew)
a piece of chalk (smelling faintly of mildew)
the second candle (smelling faintly of mildew)
the first candle (smelling faintly of mildew)
a book list (smelling faintly of mildew)
a soggy tome (smelling faintly of mildew)
a long hooked pole (smelling faintly of mildew)
a grimy rock (smelling faintly of mildew)
a library card (smelling faintly of mildew)
Peter’s jacket (smelling faintly of mildew)
a backpack features guide (smelling faintly of mildew)
a trolley schedule (smelling faintly of mildew)
a Jansport backpack (smelling faintly of mildew) (open)
a hidden pocket (open but empty)
a key pocket (open but empty)
a book pocket (open but empty)
a side pocket (open but empty)
a trash pocket (closed)
a pamphlet of home listings (smelling faintly of mildew)
a moldy, waterlogged journal (smelling faintly of mildew)
an antique locket (smelling faintly of mildew) (closed)
a cast iron spire (smelling faintly of mildew)
a wad of cash (smelling faintly of mildew)
a repaired page (smelling faintly of mildew)
a tiny leather journal (smelling faintly of mildew)
a large brass key (smelling faintly of mildew)
a filthy rug (smelling faintly of mildew)
Daniel Baker’s note (smelling faintly of mildew)
the diary of Phyllis Cragne (smelling faintly of mildew)
a postcard of Big Ben (smelling faintly of mildew)
The Modern Girl’s Divination Handbook – Volume Three (smelling faintly of mildew)
a pull-string doll (smelling faintly of mildew)
a label (smelling faintly of mildew)
a giant milkweed leaf (smelling faintly of mildew)
a glass jar containing an insect (smelling faintly of mildew)
a half-full styrofoam coffee cup (smelling faintly of mildew)
a plastic bubble (smelling faintly of mildew) (open but empty)
a familiar gold wristwatch (smelling faintly of mildew)
a brass winding key (smelling faintly of mildew)
a small blue journal (which you know is a journal because it says “Mein Journal” on the front) (smelling faintly of mildew)
a bottle of Pepto-Bismol (smelling faintly of mildew)
a calfskin coat (being worn)
a trolley pass (being worn)
a gold jacket (being worn)
Ed’s coveralls (being worn)
a pair of leather boots

Maps:

Second floor:

Basement:

Transcript:
cragne sessioon 14.txt (170.9 KB)

Save:
cragne session 14 save.txt (74.5 KB)

Unfinished locations
  • Train Station Lobby: locked green door
  • Church Exterior: locked door to church
  • Shack Exterior: locked door to shack
  • Town Square: Navajo-language ring puzzle of doom
  • Backwater Library: book collectathon, obtain grimoire
  • Drinking Fountain: retrieve our lost ghost?
  • Pub: steal the whetstone
  • Hillside Path/Carol’s Room: shuttle diplomacy between Christabell and Carol (Christabell’s up)
  • Meatpacking Plant: cleaver to cut open dog-thing’s stomach
  • Cragne Family Plot: locked crypt, open with white key
  • Shambolic Shed: food for giant caterpiller
  • Greenhouse: whetstone for machete
  • Subterranean tunnel: locked door
  • Basement: timestamp for VHS tape?
  • Tiny office: locked door
  • Sitting room: MURDER EUSTACE WITH LETTER OPENER
  • Rec room: locked board game cabinet
  • Court: climactic color-animal crosswalk
  • Upstairs Hall (N): locked door to the east with a neat family crest, that &@!? armoire
  • Hallway (S): locked door to the south
  • Pantry: find something nummy?
4 Likes

Yeah, I know I’d seen that “thing your aunt gave you…” description before, but it took a lot more cues before I placed it since it was so far outside my expectations!

Yeah, definitely only medium-length, which is I think the right length for a shaggy-dog puzzle of this sort. It’s definitely well done and paced, the IN/ON thing just made the last bit a little more annoying than it ideally would have been.

2 Likes

Hmm. So according to this room, we’re now related to Vaadignephod? Vaadigne = Cragne, -phod = daughter?

…that’s probably fine.

I will say, I felt a bit disappointed that the glyphs were so explicit about the solution. I was hoping for something hinting that Mavis Vaadigne was the Griseous Alderman, for example, then letting us put the pieces together ourselves. The discovery that it wasn’t the names but the familiars that were important (especially coming right after the Music Room, where Francine gives you a strong hint at it) was a very satisfying one.

I’m also not sure I understand quite what we’re picking up through the bits of eavesdropping. Something about children losing stretches of time, and Naomi being one of those children?

3 Likes

I sincerely hope 100% of them were in on the joke! :grin:

6 Likes

Well, sort of – I think the room is positing that “Naomi” is herself a descendant of a collateral branch of the Cragnes, now brought back into the fold through her marriage to Peter, but with her own history of eldritch weirdness, much of which was suppressed by the memory-whammy the cultists put on the kids they abducted – my read is that it’s sort of like alien-abductees’ “lost time” phenomenon.

(Of course, per the thread, this is silly – nothing like this would have happened in Nitocris’s childhood, this is just the gloss her conscious mind is trying to put on the memories of a different Cragne-child invading her subconscious).

But leaving that aside, if the linguistic associations here are correct, it’s less that we’re related to Vaadignephod (by marriage if nothing else) and more that she’s related to us – like, if what Mavis said was right this eldritch entity we keep hearing about is the “little Cragne daughter.”

One can speculate about that endlessly, but given the timey-wimey nature of much of what we’ve seen in Backwater, and the important role we seem to play in many of the Cragne’s plans, if we wind up pregnant in the epilogue I’m not sure that’ll be a happy ending…

Yeah, I’m glad that’s how it played out for us – it would have been anticlimactic to get this direct download first. On the other hand, given the layout of the Manor and the gating (we needed the key from the upstairs study to get down here) it’s likely that’s the order most folks would experience the rooms.

I dunno, I kind of hope the “it was better in binary” and “intellectual integrity” reviewers were at least somewhat serious!

1 Like

Ah, right, because in this room Naomi is a Cragne by blood rather than just by marriage. In which case she could very well be Vaadignephod, returned at long last to her ancestral family. To much rejoicing, I’m sure!

3 Likes

yeah the mildew is harmless if annoying

at the beginning of the project I tested the UNDO buffer & very confidently announced to everyone that they were allowed to kill/render insane/etc. the player as long as it was reversible within eight turns, which is what I assumed was the hardcoded UNDO limit

some weeks later after everyone had finished their rooms I found out from zarf that UNDO is memory-dependent & IIRC could be as low as two turns? oops

most people who included a failstate had kept it reversible with one UNDO, but there were a few situations like the fungal puzzle that required more UNDOs to back out of, so for those situations I added a REWIND (RECALL?) option in the death menu to manually reset the lethal flags & conditions

someone found a game-breaker after release that I’d missed, not sure if there are others, so good save hygiene is recommended for Cragne, but we did try very hard

5 Likes

Depending on the interpreter, could be as low as one turn! Or zero in older versions of git!

It’s not hard-coded to 8 in every interpreter, is the point.

I still feel bad because I didn’t notice that announcement about “8” at the beginning of the project.

4 Likes

super not your fault!

2 Likes

Chapter the Fifteenth: I Need a Drink

When we left off, Nitocris was about to leave the Manor to solve some puzzles back in town, but got sucked into the surprisingly-large (and surprisingly homage-y) basement instead. This time we – are still going to mostly be in the basement.

(Incidentally, I think I’ve said before that I grew up in the northeast but have lived in California for 20-odd years, and you know one thing I miss? Basements. We have garages instead, and they’re strictly worse).

We were in the pantry, and there was an unexplored exit there, so let’s pop our head in to see if there’s much to do:

>e

Workroom (Andrew Plotkin)
(First-time visitors should type ABOUT!)

You have entered a circular chamber, walled in the same decaying brickwork which runs all through the manor’s basement. The only exit is west.

This might once have been a private altar room or chapel. Now it seems to have been repurposed as a ritual workroom. Oddly-angled runes are carved around the perimeter of the floor.

A majestic filing cabinet stands in one corner, stuffed to overflowing with antique journals. Next to it is a full-length, badly fogged mirror.

A large disk, half black and half white, is mounted on the south wall.

Oh man, we found the @zarf room! This is exciting – among the many, many games of his that I’ve really enjoyed, Hadean Lands is probably my favorite bit of puzzle-y IF. And given the flag to check the custom ABOUT text, it seems like we’re in for something substantial. But first:

>x me
You are hassled, frazzled, and extremely tired of being in this claustrophobic basement.

No way, I’m bright-eyed and bushy-tailed!

>about
This room is a standalone puzzle. It does not require objects or clues from elsewhere in the game. Some special commands that work here:

CONSULT CABINET ABOUT ITEM: Search the filing cabinet.
LOOK UP ITEM, READ ABOUT ITEM: Shortcuts for the above.
RECALL ITEM: Recall information about a specific item.
RECALL: Show a list of all the information and magic you have learned.

Huh, the RECALL stuff is actually sort of Hadean Lands-y, and sounds like we will be doing some magic.

>recall
You have learned no magic… yet.

Yay, we’re learning magic!

Let’s check out the decor:

>x mirror
The mirror is mounted in a rather crude frame of wrought iron. The glass is in poor condition, pitted and fogged.

What’s this? When you touch the frame, something comes loose from behind it and flutters to the floor. It seems to be some kind of delivery note.

Huh, we’ll come back to that.

>x disk
Upon closer examination, the circle is actually a sphere – or a hemisphere, anyway, mounted high on one wall. The sphere itself is painted white, but an array of jointed black bands covers one side, leaving it half-and-half.

A wooden ring is mounted at the bottom edge of the sphere. It looks movable; you could push or pull it.

>push ring
(the lunar sphere)
You push the ring to the left. The black bands which cover half the sphere extend, leaving the surface mostly black, with just one white edge.

Aha! This must be a representation of the moon, now in the crescent phase. Very clever.

Intriguing. We can shift it to any phase of the moon: from new to full, with crescent, half, and gibbous in between.

(I love the word “gibbous”, including the fact that it’s cognate with “gibbet”).

>x cabinet
The cabinet is a genuine brass-bound mahogany antique. It must once have graced the office of some elegant insurance company. Now it is stained with damp and decay. Drawers sprawl open, spilling journals and papers in disorderly array.

>open it
You’ll have to search for something specific in this mess.

>look up cragne
The cabinet contains occult research, you slowly realize. The notes of your ancestors, untold generations’ worth, collected by the heroic effort of whoever set up this place. The latest dates you can find are from the 1920s; the earliest are lost in unfamiliar languages and rotting ink. Sadly, the meticulous zeal of the collector was matched only by his (her?) blithering disregard for organization.

(looking that up in the file cabinet)
There are any number of Cragnes, Cranes, Krahnes, Crakhnes, and so on in the mess. You’ll need to search for a more specific name.

…we must be still nursing a psychic hangover from the cold room. We’re not a Cragne by blood, for god’s sake! Stop making Nitocris’s pure love for Peter into a weird Luke and Leia thing!

>look up peter
The journals only date to the 1920s, so Peter is not mentioned.

>look up me
The journals only date to the 1920s, so you are not mentioned.

I’m 4,000 years old, come on!

(We don’t find mention of any of the other Cragnes we’ve met so far, of course)

We try to grab the note, but we’re once again running into the inventory limit, so duck back to the pantry to stash our stuff before heading back into the work room to read it:

“Delivery: for Anax Cragne – one mirror, iron frame – shipped from St Croix via Boston – May of 1919.” Then in smaller letters on the back: “The item has been delivered as it was deposited. The condition of the glass is none of our doing. Warranted by the hand of: Ladoro Feraud.”

Hmm, that seems like a distinctive name:

>look up ladoro
You scavenge through the disorderly pile, and are rewarded with success!

Ladoro Feraud was a student of the arcane arts whom Anax Cragne met in the South Seas. The one journal you find in his handwriting is terse, but mentions something about a Word of Enlightenment, which can be used in rituals to seek wisdom and discern truth.

Anax’s marginal notes spell out the word: KHION. You wrap your tongue around the harsh phonemes until you feel sure of them.

Words used in rituals, huh?

>look up anax
You root through the mass of papers, and are rewarded with success!

Anax Cragne seems to have been a late dabbler in magic. Many of the journals in the filing cabinet have his signature inside the flyleaf, or his crabbed annotations in the margin, or both.

His great triumph, you gather, was the discovery of the ritual bound – the runes which surround this room – and the words of Sealing and Unsealing which empower them. By speaking the Sealing Word IA, you alter this space so that magic becomes a possibility, rather than a fanciful dream. Even more importantly, the Unsealing Word ZOK ends the ritual, banishing all otherwordly influences.

IA and ZOK. You study the syllables – Anax was a stickler for pronounciation – and turn the words over on your tongue. Yes. You can say these.

A Sealing Word? How come nobody told me there was a mini-Hadean Lands in Cragne Manor? Okay, there are differences, but it seems like the main method of progression is going to be reciting various magical words in order to perform rituals to find new documents to inform us about new rituals, which is pretty much the Hadean Lands gameplay loop. Oh, and for those who’ve played HL, maybe that phase-changeable moon is like allowing us to set a planetary influence?

This is enough to get us started:

>say ia
You speak the Word of Sealing. It echoes through the room, louder than you intended.

A faint grey light flickers within the runes, starting at your feet and then running around the perimeter of the room. Color seems to leach from the air as the glow brightens. Silence replaces it, filling the room… waiting for you to continue.

Yeah, this is behaving as the standard “start ritual” signal.

>say khion
You intone the Word of Enlightenment. The world takes on a peculiar, hollow clarity. Every brick is edged with infinite precision; every crack wants to show you its secrets.

Something about the filing cabinet draws your attention.

>x cabinet
The cabinet is a genuine brass-bound mahogany antique. It must once have graced the office of some elegant insurance company. Now it is stained with damp and decay. Drawers sprawl open, spilling journals and papers in disorderly array.

You have located two interesting items:
Anax Cragne
Ladoro Feraud

Your eyes are drawn to the back of the cabinet. Is that a bit of paper poking out from behind one of the drawers? You can’t reach it, but you can just make out the name “Francois Crane” on the paper’s edge.

>say zok
You speak the Word of Unsealing. The runes flare with grey light and then fade. The sense of pressing silence fades with them, leaving the room feeling dim and mundane once again.

Easy-peasy!

>look up francois
You search through the mess of journals, and are rewarded!

Francois Crane spent his life searching for the Gates of Slumber, which lead to the Dreamlands. “Seek the Temple of the Flame, and beneath a Blood Moon speak the Unnameable Name…” (Francois certainly did like capital letters.) He died in 1835 without ever reaching his goal. In his search, however, he uncovered the Word of Winter: IRNATH, which speaks of cold, clarity, precision, sterility, and focus.

You memorize the word. It sits in your mind like an icy prism.

Well that’s a lot of information we don’t have any context for yet, but we know what to do with a new incantation!

>speak ia

>speak irnath
You chant the Word of Winter. A chill comes into the atmosphere, like an icy breeze that does not stir the air.

The fogged mirror slowly turns as clear as ice.

>x mirror
The glass does not reflect you, or the room. You are peering into an infinite starless depth. Somewhere in the distance, shadows might outline the shape of a face, peering back… or not? You cannot make it out clearly.

Hmm, that’s not too helpful! Fortunately, our only other incantation helps us perceive more keenly, so this isn’t too hard to figure out:

>speak khion

>x mirror
The glass does not reflect you, or the room. You are peering into an infinite starless depth. Far in the distance, a face forms… an epicene face, wrinkled and shriveled; but its dark eyes blaze with fierce gnosis.

The eyes lock with yours.

“You dare!” The words burn in your brain, although there is no whisper of sound. “I achieved this plane in order to study the secrets of cosmic order, not to be disturbed by blundering novices from…” (the eyes squint) “…Vermont!? No! I forbid you. Let your scrying glass be sealed, in the name of Gretel Aschar!”

The face is whipped from your sight, leaving the glass clear and empty.

She seems nice.

(“Epicene” means androgynous, “gnosis” is knowledge, both from the Greek).

We ZOK on out of the ritual and look up Gretel (in fact we need to do it in this order – during a ritual we’re so concentrated on the magic we can’t go paging through the cabinet).

Gretel Aschar was a Viennese witch, or seeress, who lived in the late 1700s. She was skilled in dreaming projection, but aspired to penetrate the illusion of Dream into the deeper truth beneath. She vanished in 1795 – whether due to death or success, no one knows.

The next page in the journal has nothing to do with Gretel. It describes the Word of Invocation: ULNUR, which brings forth voices from outside the world. A footnote adds, “Combine with Morovor’s Word of Summer?” But there is no indication of what that might be.

You memorize the Word of Invocation, anyhow.

Hmm, more about the Dreamlands, though this word seems more about calling things into this world rather than letting us journey outward.

We’ve started to get enough info that I try out the RECALL command:

>recall
You have learned the following incantations:
IA, the Word of Sealing
ZOK, the Word of Unsealing
KHION, the Word of Enlightenment
IRNATH, the Word of Winter
ULNUR, the Word of Invocation

You have researched the following names: Anax Cragne, Ladoro Feraud, Francois Crane and Gretel Aschar.

You have come across one additional name, not yet researched: Morovor Krahne.

This gives me pause for a minute, then I realize that that reference to “Morovor’s Word of Summer” can be looked up directly:

Morovor Krahne (1752-1801) was a distant cousin of the family who studied astronomy. Or perhaps astrology, as his notes have nothing but contempt for the “modern” science of telescopes and Newton. He was obsessed with the relationship between the stars, the seasons, and the cycles of history. Ultimately he destroyed his health dragging menhirs around a Scottish moor, attempting to construct an astronomical stone circle which could predict, or invoke, the End of Days.

Almost incidentally he perfected the modern forms of the Seasonal Names. Of the four, only one survives in this fragmentary journal: MALETH, the Word of Summer, which bespeaks heat, haze, fertility, verdancy, and riot.

You memorize the word. It sits in your mind like a roiling thundercloud.

Poor Morovor – even if you can’t get the traditional magically-strong Frenchman, you should at least use a wheelbarrow when hauling around menhirs.

(I fear that’s a dated reference, but there are only so many ways to riff off of menhirs. Actually, that reminds me that I do have one menhir-related anecdote. I went to a boarding high school, and we had intermittent dorm meetings where our dorm head, a reasonably-intimidating wrestling coach as well as a teacher of Russian, would make various announcements and tell us to knock off various kinds of mischief. One time early in my freshman year, said dorm head started paging through the giant dictionary that was for some reason in our common room, to kill some time before the meeting was scheduled to begin. “Boys, the beauty of the English language is that on every page in this dictionary, there’ll be a word that none of us know what it means,” he said (or something to that effect). He peered down: “here’s one: menhir. Nobody knows what that means!”)

(“They’re standing stones, especially in the north of France,” piped up pipsqueak me from the side of the room. I felt like a stone-cold badass, and this felt like revealing I knew this because of a comic book would ruin the moment).

Er, right, with that we’ve hacked together enough for another ritual!

>ia

>speak maleth
You chant the Word of Summer. A thick warmth creeps into the air around you. Sweat breaks on your skin.

>speak ulnur
You incant the Word of Invocation. The silence around you takes on an attentive quality; something besides you is listening.

You feel something invisible crawling across your body, and the gaze of a green presence. It studies you, and everything around you, with dispassion; what to nurture, what to prune.

A faint but piercing-sweet scent drifts past you. It seems to emanate from the direction of the filing cabinet.

>smell
An intense orchid scent drifts from the filing cabinet.

The tiniest green shoot has crawled up the side of the cabinet. Its tip blooms into a minute, perfect orchid, which breathes its scent out into the room. The bloom curls over the edge of a journal which bears the name “Margreth Cragne”.

We’re getting in the zone now:

>look up margreth
You root through the disorderly pile, and are rewarded!

Margreth Cragne studied visionary meditation in this very basement in the late 1880s. She wrote of the art of scrying a spirit who does not want to be observed. “Bring forth an ice-covered mirror under the full moon. Speak the Word of Enlightenment; then polish the glass with your hand. Then wait until the moon is new and allow the ice to melt. Your will shall penetrate the glass and reveal that which you seek.”

Here we go, now we’ve got a ritual that involves the sphere. It’s already set to full moon, so let’s get started:

>ia

>irnath
You chant the Word of Winter. A chill comes into the atmosphere, like an icy breeze that does not stir the air.

The fogged mirror slowly turns as clear as ice.

Hmm, that’s not really “frost-covered” but maybe it’s close enough? I don’t see how we can make it any colder.

>>speak khion

>polish mirror
The glass is so cold that it burns your skin.

The moon doesn’t change phase on its own, of course, so rather than wait, we take a more active hand and push four times:

>push moon
(the lunar sphere)
You push the ring. The black bands extend, completely covering the lunar sphere; it now shows a new moon.

Just need to melt the ice – er, well there isn’t ice, but just warming up the room will maybe work?

>speak maleth
You chant the Word of Summer. The icy chill fades from the air.

Fog roils behind the mirror glass. It spreads, leaving the mirror clouded, as it was when you first arrived.

>x mirror
You peer into the mirror. Its clouding now appears vastly more intricate – a fractal web of microfractures spread across the surface of the glass. Sadly, it is as opaque as ever.

That seems singularly unhelpful. Did we jump the gun? I go back and try the ritual again, this time adding a dozen or so Z’s after polishing the mirror to see if the moon does shift over time, but this doesn’t seem to be the case.

We don’t have a clear line of investigation in front of us, so we do what all good wizards do: screw around with powers far beyond our ken! Somewhere in the course of chanting and pushing the moon around at random, we hit on the combination of speaking ULNUR (the invocation word) while the moon is new and IRNATH is exerting a wintry influence (I think we have KHION running too):

>speak ulnur
You incant the Word of Invocation. The silence around you takes on an attentive quality; something besides you is listening.

A painful prickling runs along your skin. You sense a chill presence in the air, something looking towards you from far away. Its attention is a faded intimation of those undiscovered realms that await the soul beyond this world. Even so, its gaze burns.

If you look more closely at the spirit, you might learn more.

>x spirit
You cannot see the spirit, but you attempt to capture its focus with your gaze.

You are struck by a hideous pain behind your eyes. It mutes, after a moment, to pressure and an icy chill.

There is sentience in the focus, an awareness that nearly overwhelms you. Somewhere something is shrieking; the not-sound scrapes along the thin edge of reality. But you can make out its intent. A name: Kteh Nyare.

Yay, we’re unstuck!

>look up kteh
You scavenge through the mass of papers, and are rewarded!

Kteh Nyare was a scribe, or priest, or tutelary god – stories disagree – in the legendary Lost Dynasty of Egypt. The rulers in this period sojourned deep into forbidden arts, raising the Old Kingdom to unrivaled sovereignty. When they fell, their ruin was so terrible that their names and deeds have been entirely erased from history.

It was Kteh Nyare who first committed arcane Names to papyrus for study. Modern occultists use newer alphabets, but Kteh Nyare’s hieroglyphics were an exacting and precise system of writing.

You study the description of the hieroglyphics. They clarify your understanding of the Words you have learned. By speaking with greater precision, you realize, you can amplify most of those Words – repeating the Word to intensify its effect.

Er, yes, those terrible Lost Dynasty Pharaohs, who delved deep into forbidden arts – darn them, they were so smart, and good looking, and…

All right, maybe we should have been paying closer attention that one time Kteh Nyare burst into our tomb bubbling over with his discovery, but honestly, Nitocris had so many staff, and given the generally-low aggregate level of sanity they could get overenthusiastic upon finding a new bit of lint in their belly button, it was hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. But yes, this doubling-up of seasonal influences is ringing a bell, and is probably how we get a frost-covered mirror.

We get the moon back to full, say IA to start the process, do a first IRNATH, then:

>g
You chant the Word of Winter. The chill deepens to a numbing, aching wave of cold.

A coarse layer of frost grows over the surface of the mirror, leaving it opaque.

Boom!

>polish mirror
The glass is so cold that it burns your skin.

Oh wait, we jumped the gun. We undo, since we need to say KHION first, then do the polishing:

>polish mirror
You place your hand against the frosted glass. The cold burns through skin and nerve, but slowly, a pearly glow begins to shine through the ice. When you pull your hand away, the glow remains.

Ah, even better. Aftter that it’s just some quick shifting of the moon to make it new, then:

>speak maleth
You chant the Word of Summer. The stabbing cold around you lessens.

The frost sublimes from the surface of the mirror, leaving it clear as ice and filled with a pearly glow.

Great! The ritual says our will can penetrate the glass – does that mean we’ll be able to pin down the grumpy Gretel we found in it before, when we invoked the word of invocation?

>speak ulnur

With a startling crack, the mirror-glass splinters! A wave of agonizing cold rolls through the room. The fractured glass blazes with a pearly brilliance which strikes through your body.

You try to pull away, but your muscles do not respond. You feel ice crystals growing in your flesh, and then you can feel nothing.

*** You have shattered ***

No wait, we found Kteh with ULNUR, Gretel was just waiting in the glass:

>x mirror
You peer into the glass…

You see a shifting field of geometry, all illuminated by pearly light. Within it, Gretel Aschar’s decrepit face slowly comes back into focus. Her wrinkles twist into a scowl of utter disgust.

“Fine. Fine. You seek the way to the Gates of Slumber? Find the writings of my student Ersebet. A fool, she was, but she knew more than a little of the ways of Dream.” A glare of unutterable contempt. “And she knew, for a wonder, how to leave an old woman alone.”

The geometric light seems to turn inside out, and the face is once again gone from your sight.

Great! We ZOK, then:

>look up ersebet
You root through the disorderly pile, and are rewarded!

Ersebet Cranyi was, as the old woman said, a student in the Viennese cultic circle at the end of the 1700s. After the group schismed in 1795, Ersebet travelled to America and attempted to barter visionary secrets with the indigenous shamans of the New World. They, by all accounts, wanted nothing to do with her, and she spent her remaining days poring over fragmentary manuscripts in a Boston garret.

Her one creditable discovery was the Trance Word, VULLE, which allows the ritualist to project his or her awareness into a visionary realm. This is not the true Dreamlands, but a space within the practitioner’s own mind, shaped by the symbology of their perceptions. The visionary state is thus merely a foundation from which greater rituals may be enacted.

Ah, OK, this seems like it’s getting us closer – we’re kind of exploring at random but there was some kind of reference to the Dreamlands earlier, so that’s probably our goal? VULLE won’t get us all the way there, but definitely progress.

(Continued hopefully later tonight!)

5 Likes

Yay the room!

7 Likes

Oooh, now this is fascinating. I’m also a big fan of Hadean Lands so I’m watching with great interest.

I’ll probably also download the save file and see what bizarre combinations I can come up with, because what’s the point of having so many magic words if not combinatorial explosion?

A couple other notes before we get too far! One, Kteh Nyare doesn’t seem to be actual Egyptian to me—but I could very well be wrong on this, because the system of turning Egyptian words into something English-speakers can pronounce is very ambiguous. I’ve looked in dictionaries for kth, ktḥ, qth, qtḥ, and so on and found nothing, but it’s entirely possible the original version of his name is one of the combinations I haven’t tried.

Two, the Viennese circle in the late 1700s. Wasn’t Konstantin causing problems in Austria around then? He went to France (or French-occupied territory of some sort) in the Napoleonic era, so somewhat later. If that’s the sort of magical colleague Aschar was used to, no wonder she’s so grumpy about being disturbed. And no wonder she’s so dismissive of the occultists on the other side of the schism.

And three…now, at long last, I finally know what happens if you sit on a ritual bound. I feel fulfilled.

4 Likes