Just a reminder to be very careful when there's ice outside!

I let my guard down while walking home because the sidewalks seemed mostly de-iced… and just like that, I slipped on black ice and fractured my wrist!

Please be careful out there, especially if you can’t see the pavement well due to low light or powder snow! A slower pace (and possibly investing in good boots or cleats) is well worth your health and well-being. Broken bones are no joke!!

33 Likes

Sorry that happened to you! Looks painful! Hope you get better!

8 Likes

I want to paint flowers on your cast!

5 Likes

at least is a less serious incident, compared to what happened to Pinkunz…

so, I concur & agree on the reminder.

BTW, for wed/thu is expected that nightime temperature will fall to -1 °C in the greater Naples, a thing happens only less than once or twice in years, but happens only in clear days, so snow & ice happens in Naples only once every, uh, two or three lustrums…

But is innegable that temperature is lowering here, now we’re accustomed in seeing a snow-topped Vesuvius every year in Dec.-Jan., even first decade of Feb., since early 80s…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that! Get well soon!

3 Likes

:people_hugging:

4 Likes

Black ice are killers. You never know they’re there until you slide. :scream: I know several people who gets into accidents that way.

The only thing you can do is assume all black roads are black ice when it’s freezing. Unfortunately, that gets other people mad and turned into road ragers. :slightly_frowning_face:

I still remember that time in February where there were cars on median/shoulder every 2-3 miles on I80 west of DesMoines IA, all 120 miles of it.

Presumably there’s more, but was towed away during the night.

3 Likes

All right, Old Man Winter, I don’t ask this often, but I’mm’a need you to stahp trying to take out my forum community and their family members.

shakes old-man fist uselessly at sky

DO NOT make me resort to the never-fail “Short-winter/Early-thaw” dance. That pole is a bit chilly, and the outfit a bit revealing. BUT I WILL PUT IT ON if necessary.

checks to see if “disco” is programmed into the house LED lights…

14 Likes

With all seriousness, that is an issue. Even if actual ice isn’t visible what looks like damp pavement can be ridiculously slick.

If you’re taking a step onto open pavement or a wooden porch that just looks wet, keep one foot on dry ground and hold onto something, set your foot down on the pavement and test it. If you can easily twist your foot with no traction DON’T CONTINUE on the pavement unless you have a secure rail to hold onto.

In most cases if concrete/asphalt/wooden walkways are icy, you will be safer walking in the grass with snow boots if you have to get somewhere instead of on pavement.

7 Likes

I hope you feel better soon! Here is a silly kittysign, I hope you’re comfycozy and somewhere warm now.

14 Likes

I hope you will be better soon. Thank you for the advice.

4 Likes

Get well soon, @Ally!

3 Likes

Sending best vibes and wishes! Thanks for the reminder as well - kept me in good grace today when I ventured out to take out the rubbish.

9 Likes

Yay, let’s fill it up!
can’t write well with mouse…

11 Likes

:people_hugging:

14 Likes

9 Likes

Huge thanks to everyone for sharing advice and support!! :heart: I’m happy to hear you’re all staying safe! (And crossing all the fingers on my good hand for @pinkunz’s operation :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: You’ve got this!! Sending you so many healing thoughts!)

It’s crazy how quickly our lives can be upended by an accident, and things that we don’t usually think twice about can become a huge struggle. But we’re often more resilient than we think, and with enough support, we can adapt to almost anything!

I live alone and my family/friends are kinda far away, so I haven’t had a chance to get my (very first) cast signed yet – your lovely virtual doodles and signatures made me incredibly happy!! I’ll cherish them forever :blush::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

22 Likes

Ouch! I hope it’s not too painful (or itchy!) and you recover well

7 Likes

Taking these to my follow-up appointment tomorrow! :heart:

23 Likes

Aww, this is so sweet!! I’m blown away by the detail and colour-matching you got on there. Best wishes for the appointment tomorrow, fingers crossed all is better than well!

9 Likes