Introducing Ourselves

Hello all. I’m George, generally going by BadSpaceKing professionally. Mid-30s guy existing in the UK.

I’ve always had a love of narrative games, from old-school CRPGs to CYOA books (I played/read a lot of Lone Wolf, amongst others). That led to studying such things academically, as well as experimenting with my own creations, with many misfires and wrong turns along the way. A bit of lecturing and research too. Obviously these aren’t skills wanted by the job market, so I drifted in and out of employment for a while until finally taking up solo game development and streaming.

I was kinda aware of the IF scene from my university days but given that I’ve just released a Twine game… here I be.

16 Likes

Hey all,

I’m lnmmnl (liminal), a 20-something in Australia that’s been reading IF for sometime and writing for another vague amount of time. I’m qualified in areas I’ll never work and looking to write a whole lot about them.

Pretty new to the this side of the IF online community. STARFISHER is my first and currently only published short story/game. Still a bunch to learn on both coding and writing fronts, but we’ll see where this takes me.

21 Likes

@BadSpaceKing @lnmmnl

Hello and welcome! I hope I see you around the forum again.

(This a hard time right now, with one of our main users - who is one of the reasons I have stayed such a regular user on this forum, although the forum is great otherwise - having just been in a serious accident a couple or so of hours ago.)

Nevertheless, it’s good to see a new face! I look forward to playing new games from you guys. :grin:

8 Likes

Super belated but hiiii!

7 Likes

g’day!

2 Likes

Hi! My name is Treesong. I’m an author living in Carbondale, Southern Illinois, USA.

I’ve been reading interactive fiction off and on for a long time. I started with CYOA as a child and will occasionally seek out digital IF now as an adult.

I’m mostly joining here now because I’m working on a new IF writing project! I wrote and published one standalone IF story a couple of years ago. Now I’m working on a site where I and other authors can write IF with climate change themes.

17 Likes

Welcome! Glad to have you.

I like the idea of your site, narrowing the focus to Climate Change themed IF. Maybe you’ve read this one from the 2023 IFComp: Tricks of light in the forest - Details (ifdb.org).

9 Likes

I hadn’t seen that one yet. I’ll be sure to check it out. Thanks!

3 Likes

Whenever I read your username (@Treesong ) I must think about Treebeard! :slight_smile: What, there’s someone out there who doesn’t know this? It’s a “tree shepherd” (ent) from “The Lord of the Rings”.

3 Likes

Hi, I am Ulfar. I’m a computer person who likes literature (enough to get a graduate minor in English), as well as trashy sci-fi and fantasy.

I have had a near life-long love affair with IF, starting in the early Eighties when I saw Deadline on an Apple II. I was fortunate enough to get to play all of the subsequent Infocom games as they came out, up to Zork Zero, and that’s the most fun I’ve ever had playing computer games (i.e., I’m not a big shoot-em-up gamer).

I’m joining the forum because I’m interested in revisiting some of the old games with the help of modern LLM technology. I’ll post separately about that.

19 Likes

Welcome Ulfar!

There’s a good amount of discussion going on about the use, advantages and disadvantages, compatibility, of LLMs for IF. Writing, testing, programming, augmenting the parser, … Looking forward to see your thoughts and experiments.

8 Likes

There’s also a lot of new IF that carries on the old text adventure traditions, so you have a bevy of new Infocom-ish games every year.

And welcome!

9 Likes

Hi All!
I must admit that I’m completely new to all things IF (except when followed closely by a THEN).
However, I was recently introduced to this medium, this community, and all you nice folks here by my beloved, @Ally. I was lucky enough to accompany her on her journey as she created and submitted her very first IFComp submission.
It was great fun and I’m looking forward to helping her on many more projects to come!
We’ve also been playing IF games together, exploring the amazing stories that all of you have created :grinning:
I am humbled and impressed by everyone’s creativity and ingenuity, and I hope that we are able to make some worthy contributions as well.

25 Likes

:partying_face:
Welcome!!

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Sophia and Allyson (and maybe Tabitha too) have a good habit to drag their friends into the forum, so that’s nice to hear!

5 Likes

Welcome to the amazing rabbithole that is IF! And to this, its forum of deep-burrowing followers.

8 Likes

Hello! My name is Max and I am a 29(30 on sunday) year old Chef. Last night, I was drifting off to sleep when my eyes shot open and I said “I wonder if anyone still makes old-style text adventures.” Then googled “text adventure subreddit” and fell asleep. This morning I began looking into things and found my way here. I have spent a whopping two hours at the bar learning Inform 7 and so far know how to make a room, an NPC, and to make them answer question! Happy to be here and looking forward to figuring out the hobby more!

23 Likes

OMGOSH ANOTHER FOODIE :smiley:
WELCOME :smiley:
I hope you don’t judge us too hard on our food tastes :joy:

5 Likes

None of those look bad at all! Ill have to toss a few things in from my restaurant I work.(Fine French-inspired bistro)

4 Likes

We got a few Francophones of our own here (like meeee). We are actually in the Voting Period of the French Comp right now :slight_smile:

3 Likes