Introducing Ourselves

Hi there! You can call me Bex, or hey you! I really like writing choose your own adventure fanfics. I think I make them pretty thorough and fun. I’m curious to play around with trying more methods since I’ve always made them the same way. Thanks!

18 Likes

Hey you! :grin:

Welcome to the community! CYOA is a time-honored format and many modern IF still borrow from it heavily, employing a time-cave structure. Interested how a focus on CYOA might impact your design choices going forward. Feel free to ask for help if you need it. :v:

10 Likes

Thank you for the welcome :slight_smile: I’m so old school with it tbh. Curious to see how’s it’s done these days.

I’ve done over 200k wc over 3 CYOA fanfics (over 2 fandoms, but keen to expand) and it’s always been different pathways. Sometimes they braid together, sometimes they veer apart. Finishing the latest fic atm (250+ chapters), planning the next. I feel like I’ll be more a lurker than a doer over here since I am an AO3 girl but you never know.

9 Likes

Hi, I´am Andy from germany. In my youth I played a lot of text adventure games at the C64. In the years since then I forgot about this passion of mine and just got into it again lately.

Now I´am overwhelmed seeing how agile this genre still is. At the moment I try to get an overview and play a little here and there. This place, among others, is great to get in touch with other fans of this genre.

18 Likes

Greetings all! I’m Henry (they/them); I also go by Ordovician in some places online. I’m currently a college student majoring in English, and I’ve been interested in IF for a long time. I write speculative fiction, especially horror, centered around setting and environment. I’m heavily inspired by the work of Failbetter Games; the world and writing of Fallen London was a huge influence on me. Aside from that, I read a lot of choice-based games—pretty much because I’m terrible at puzzles and the like. Some favorite authors are Kitty Horrorshow, Porpentine, and Liz England (whose excellent game Mainframe is unfortunately now only available through the Internet Archive).

I’m a devoted Chapbook user. I’ve published two Twine games so far, each a few thousand words, and am currently working on a much longer one.

Aside from IF, I write prose fiction and dabble in visual art, and I’ve done some game development. I’m hardly a programmer, though, so Chapbook has been invaluable for helping me bridge the digital and literary worlds. It’s good to be here!

21 Likes

I guess this isn’t technically my first post, but I figure I should at least introduce myself.

My name is Steve (he/him) and have basically been lurking in the IF community since 2009. If my memory is correct, what first drew me to the current IF community was a blog post at crooked timber about Violet. I’m judged in most IFComps since 2009, though I think I might have missed a year or two.

I was briefly on this forum last December 2022 but got sidetracked by (a) having a power outage over Christmas last year [there was little interest in continuing that tradition this year :smile: ] and then (b) getting ready and going to Manhattan for a few days in early January. So I got out of the habit but hope to get more into IF this year; in particular, writing.

Not sure what else to say about myself right now, but for now this oughta do. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Welcome to this great IF community! Looking forward to play your IF games.

5 Likes

Hello! I’m Jason, a writer and theatre artist living in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

I’ve been engaged by interactive fiction for years, though my love for it got an enormous boost by Aaron Reed’s 50 Years of Text Games recently. So much so that I’ve decided to try my hand at making a few! Based on that, I’m coming to this community as both an aficionado and nascent developer! Thanks for having me!

21 Likes

:fire: Go Flames Go! Woooo! Yeah, baby! Put it in the win column! :fire:

5 Likes

Thought I should introduce myself! Hi everyone! :wave:

My name is Leena, I’m from Melbourne Australia and currently working on indie survival horror (inspired) game Dead Static Drive. It’s a kind of Grand Theft Cthulhu meets David Lynch vibe that a friend has kindly coined as being “Lynchcraftian” :laughing: It’s coming out later this year.

I taught interactive storytelling for 7 years at various universities in Melbourne, and sat on the Narrative Jury for the IGFs since 2019.

I also published a book in 2016 called “Game Changers” for Affirm Press, and I sit on the board of directors of the Victorian Women’s Trust.

Thanks for having me!

24 Likes

And new IFTF board member, right? :clap: :clap: :clap: :tada:

13 Likes

Yes! One of the new cohort! I’m thrilled to come on board. I didn’t want to jump the gun before the announcement post but it’s wonderful to share the good news!

16 Likes

Sounds positively nightmarish.

Welcome!

9 Likes

Hi all, I’m Vance. I have been lurking around IF communities for years, but since I’m planning to participate in the upcoming Spring Thing, I thought I’d create a new account here.

I’ve opened my new Choicescript game, Dragon of Steelthorne, for closed beta testing on the Choice of Games forums. I probably won’t be actively looking for beta testers here, but if anyone wants to try it out, feel free to message me privately or leave a comment on the CoG forums.

This was supposed to be a submission for IFcomp 2023, but things ran way behind schedule, and I decided that a polished Spring Thing entry would be better than a rushed IFcomp entry.

23 Likes

Definitely a good instinct. Welcome!

9 Likes

Hi! I’m very new here, so I thought I might as well introduce myself. I’m 16 (so, definitely not quite as impressive of a resume as a lot of the others in here), but I’ve been interested in IF since I picked up Spider and Web (hence the username) when I was 14, and a bit of an obsession began. I’ve played a lot since then, but that remains one of my favorite games of all time.

I’m currently working on making my own games, so I’ve experimented around with Twine a bit and am getting started on Inform 7, though I’m definitely very far from fluent.

I’ve lurked around on this forum a little bit before, so I’m excited (and a little intimidated) to finally actually join it!

22 Likes

I promise you we don’t bite. Very happy to help you and excellent taste. Spider and Web is one of my favorites as well, and I remember how startled I was when I realized how casually here the author was (among many other prominent IF authors). Definitely was a little surreal for me and I imagine it will be for you as well. Either way, a very warm welcome to you. Please ask for any help you need with either system. No need to struggle on your own.

11 Likes

Thank you! I probably will end up needing it.

I did have a pretty similar experience with authors; my first post on the forum was actually replied to by the Spider and Web author, which was definitely kind of crazy to me.

11 Likes

In one of my earliest IF interactions (this was on IFMUD), I brashly asked why hadn’t anyone given commercial parser IF another go since Infocom. The random guy who spent the next hour absolutely schooling me in numerous ways was the creator of TextFyre, a commercial IF company that fairly definitively proved the market wasn’t viable at that time (let’s not get sidetracked here in this thread on whether that has since changed). Not content with only that much embarrassment, I then proceeded to stick my foot in my mouth with Veeder and Short in quick succession as well.

Don’t sweat it. They’re just people. Fairly friendly people at that.

11 Likes

Super true. I was a moderator for the Failbetter Games official Discord several years ago, when I was in high school, and thus was talking to Failbetter’s staff on a regular basis at the time; I’ve currently been kicking myself for having thought of Emily Short as “the one who’s always posting squirrels, I guess?”

15 Likes