Introducing Ourselves

Hiiiiii Jasper!!!
So nice to see you hereeee!!
:partying_face:

4 Likes

Hello, everyone!

You can call me CSR! Iā€™m far from fluent in English, so please be patient with me. I found the IF world about a year and half ago I believe, but it caught my attention straight away. Even though there is still a lot to explore and learn (I havenā€™t been able to touch a parser game and know what Iā€™m supposed to do yet), I thought it wouldnā€™t hurt if I got myself a little more in touch with the community. I might end up a lurker, but Iā€™m sure it will be interesting anyways.

I plan on writing my own IFs later on (I actually was a SeedComp! participant, in both the planting and sprouting rounds, and submitted the ā€œWhile Rome Burnsā€ game, in which I tried to fiddle (ha!) keeping a writing pace and learning code enough to make a well-rounded game and failed miserably :sweat_smile:), but as for this year is a extremely busy one Iā€™ll stick with being just a player for now until I can spare time enough to really learn the basics of coding and dedicate myself to writing well.

Itā€™s good to meet you all!

22 Likes

Hi CSR! Nice to see you on board!

4 Likes

@CSR Let me assure you that your English is not bad at all :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for being so kind :slight_smile: Iā€™ve got to admit I checked it on translator a couple times though (deleted it by accident :sweat_smile:)

5 Likes

Youā€™re doing a great job! What is your native language if you donā€™t mind me asking?

4 Likes

Your English is better than many native speakers. Stay vigilant with your writingā€¦ and welcome to the community! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you! :smiley: My native language is Portuguese, specifically the Brazilian one

5 Likes

Thank you very much! I think Iā€™ll like it here a lot :smile:

3 Likes

I actually enjoyed the humor in ā€œWhile Rome Burnsā€. I also remember you ran up against the deadline and would have benefited greatly from more time to betatest and get feedback.

A lot of promise for a first game! Sincerely!

4 Likes

Thank you!!! It actually means the world to me. I think the major hindrance was the coding part to me. I messed it up so bad that, no exaggeration, more than half of the branching scenes never got to appear in game. Just a lot of hard work that was thrown in the trashā€¦ Ngl, it discouraged me even more in trying to understand code.

But Iā€™m glad you could enjoy it, even being bugged and broken as it was! Despite everything, it was a fun experience and I think Iā€™ve done the best I could at the time, so it still has a special place in my heart. Who knows, perhaps in the future I can try to go back and fix the game. For now, though, it means much someone liked it the way it was

8 Likes

Have not made one of these. Iā€™m Loressa. I work in QA and take the deconstructive mindset into games I experiment with.

My itch page: https://loressa.itch.io/

Most interested in creating experiences. Enjoy simulations.

18 Likes

Welina mai e Loressa, aloha from HawaiŹ»i!

8 Likes

Hi all, Iā€™m Zac. I am 27 at the time of typing this. My goal is to make an impact on the timeline of Interactive Fiction by finishing and populating my web-based interactive fiction engine, ifSpace.net. It is a no-code engine that supports choice-based, parser, and gamebook style works of I.F. Please feel free to reach out if you would like to chat :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Welcome Zac! Iā€™m about to check out this siteā€¦

[Sniffs and sets high expectations]

Just kidding. Anyway, welcome to the site and enjoy!

7 Likes

Hey Max,

Thanks for checking it out! I see you already made an account. In the last hour I fixed a major bug that prevented trying out any of the existing games (one of my migration fixes didnā€™t account for something), so if you already tried and failed to play somethingā€¦ feel free to try again :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi folks! Iā€™m Ben - I recently read 50 years of text games and am now on a quest to consume as much IF as possible :joy:

Iā€™m pretty new to the whole genre but so far have played Hitchhikerā€™s Guide, Howling Dogs and Spider & Web (all three of which where immense). Iā€™ll probably be mostly lurking here and trying to get some recommendations for what to play/read next.

22 Likes

Welcome, Ben!

Have you tried scrolling through or keyword-searching the polls on IFDB?

These are when someone asks the community for suggestions of games with a certain feature, genre, twist, or preference. The poll results list all the responses.

If you canā€™t find a poll that hits exactly what youā€™re looking for, you could always create a new poll as well.

Thanks for saying hi! Please ask questions if you have any! :grin:

12 Likes

Thatā€™s a great tip! Just took a look now and itā€™s a great way to find stuff. Thanks a lot!

7 Likes

Great picks that I wouldnā€™t have picked to start because theyā€™re indeed so immense, haha! Those are awesome titles at least! Glad to see someone starting out on IF around the same period as I am :slight_smile:

5 Likes