Introducing Ourselves

Welcome! I think the click-interface that can give the most parser-like experience is GrueScript:
Here

5 Likes

I love this handle so much I could cry.

Welcome!

4 Likes

@noseflautist

First off, welcome! More meat for the grinder! :slight_smile:

However, I suggest you ask this question in itā€™s own topic as there are many authoring systems and a lot of opinions on the matter.

10 Likes

Hi, I go by John Q. (at least on here, LOL).

Iā€™m a grad student, and I started reading IF in 2013 on COG and started reading stories made with Twine and VNs in 2017. Currently, Iā€™m working on my first IF and trying to learn how to use Twine in between my job at an ice cream shop/bookstore and university. :smile:

16 Likes

Hey, Iā€™m Kastel.

I usually play and write about Japanese media, especially visual novels. But Iā€™ve recently gotten the ā€œcreatorā€ itch. I figured I didnā€™t want to do criticism forever and ever, so I started looking into communities where creators and fans are almost the same thing.

Which brings me to IF: I got into interactive fiction after playing Lost Pig, the Infocom classics, and a lot of Porpentineā€™s Twine titles. But I donā€™t stop at the so-called IF canon. Iā€™m very fond of modern LGBTQ+ titles that say something different from the usual positivity stuff. In particular, I quite enjoyed Autumn Chenā€™s works like the Pageantverse series. Her works really inspired me to make my own games.

Indeed, Iā€™ve made a few Twine games myself and will like to one day delve into parser game territories. I really enjoyed what the games the community has made and Iā€™m excited to participate in the community, even if the usual anxiety of joining a new subculture persists. Itā€™s really neat to go from lurker to poster.

30 Likes

Welcome~~

6 Likes

You joined the second you played and loved Lost Pig. Didnā€™t you get the membership card in the mail? And if you like both parser and choice games, the card should have a gold border.

One more soldier in the small but mighty IF army; one step closer to world domination.

14 Likes
Live footage of IF authors implementing their way to global dominion:

9d0079b9f31783556bd48f128ebd9370

17 Likes

Thank you all for the warm welcome :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I definitely felt the same way before asking my first question, but itā€™s amazing how quickly the immediate welcome was able to dispel that daunting feelingā€¦

ā€¦Even if I have been too busy binging the Inform documentation to be particularly active, ehe.

Good luck with the jump from Twine to parser if you decide to make it! Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m trying to do right now, actually, so I can definitely say thereā€™s something super energizing about the process.

11 Likes

My moniker is Thelgor and itā€™s a name Iā€™ve used in gaming for some time now even if itā€™s not always been publicly. I was introduced to IF many years ago and have loved it from the start. I cut my teeth on Infocom games. I think Hitchhikerā€™s Guide was my first one but itā€™s been a while and the memory of so long ago is not sharp. Iā€™ve never felt comfortable enough with my creation skills to write one but Iā€™ve toyed around with the Inform engines (6 & 7) and always follow the competitions.

Iā€™m currently reading Aaron Reedā€™s ā€œ50 Years of Text Gamesā€ and am loving it.

20 Likes

That feeling is why I waited until I was 50 to write a game, and now Iā€™m kicking myself for it, because writing games is so fun and I could have been doing it long before if Iā€™d just taken the risk. And this community is helpful and gently honest, so if you want to take the plunge, youā€™ll have a whole team at your back to help guide you. Not trying to pressure you; just saying that if you ask for help on any aspect of an endeavor, youā€™ll get it, and you might be surprised what you can do.

13 Likes

To be fair, the tools to create games werenā€™t as accessible pre-2000. Tools did exist, but the internet hadnā€™t quite coalesced to support them as well.

I remember having EAā€™s commercial Adventure Construction Set (which was actually more like RPG Construction Set) and thinking it was the future.

8 Likes

Hi, everybody.

I just remembered this board from many years ago (2010, although back then I was only active in one thread. My old username was ā€œBlinxā€, alas I donā€™t have access to the email account anymore or even remember which one it was).

My name is Mark Bauermeister. Iā€™m 34 years old and a software engineer by trade.

My first computers were my older brotherā€™s trusty C64 and a Pentium I 60 MHz.
My first and most memorable IF experiences were the original Zork, The Hitchhikerā€™s Guide to the Galaxy, The Hobbit, The Colour of Magic and Magnetic Scrollsā€™ Wonderland.

I recently started getting involved in the IF community again, but this time not solely as a player but also as a writer (or Implementer, as Infocom used to call them).

My girlfriend, a very talented sound engineer (who wonā€™t see much work on this project, although heā€™s also a very talented coder) and I are currently running a Kickstarter campaign for our first commercial game. Excitingly, said game has already raised 538 euros within the first 24 hours.

16 Likes

Hello, Mark!

Welcome back!

Just going over your old post. Do you still have the demo file, A_room_by_the_fire.gblorb ?

The rapidshare link in your original post is dead. Iā€™d love to give it (or a later version) a try if possible.

Regardless, congrats on your preliminary kickstartee results!

7 Likes

I dunno how complete this version is (Says I uploaded it in 2012) and if it even contained the graphics and audio I added later, but I found this .gblorb on my Google Drive.

Iā€™ve become quite a bit more apt in terms of writing and coding since then (and far more critical of my past work), but here you go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4HbmIw0kk7FVXNXMmw4cVNfdDg/view?resourcekey=0-2Ae4ueCRlHNBkhu7kWvvDw

10 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

Youā€™re very welcome.
I dunno if Iā€™m allowed to post a Kickstarter link, but my new project is called ā€œOceanThrill Murder Mysteryā€ and I post all updates on Kickstarter.

3 Likes

I would definitely start a new thread for your Kickstarter project. I would recommend using the Project Announcements category of the forum.

As for posting a link, new users are initially restricted from posting links until theyā€™ve completed a base level of reading and posting. This is to prevent drive-by spamming. You could get around it by posting the raw URL in a code block like you did above, or you could peruse the forum for a bit to gain that access. It really doesnā€™t take much engagement to gain that ability.

6 Likes

Hey folks, nice to meet yā€™all, Iā€™m Jasper!

Iā€™m not sure why I havenā€™t signed up around these parts before, cause Iā€™ve been writing IF for like 3 or 4 years now haha. I mostly do stuff in Twine, though of course Iā€™m always telling myself this is the month Iā€™m gonna teach myself Inform, haha. Iā€™ve always got a few different projects cooking at any given moment. In addition to The Big One (my extremely beefy text based RPG project :upside_down_face:), Iā€™m currently working on an undersea horror game for IFComp.

Outside of IF, I am a lover of all things horror, I play a lot of TTRPGs (and occasionally write some), and I play so many video games Iā€™m currently studying to make them!

Hoping to take this IFComp season as an opportunity to get out of my little Tumblr bubble and get more involved with the writer community on here :blush:

22 Likes