interactive narrative

I was just … engaging this map of the solar system: “if the moon was the size of a single pixel”… joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pix … ystem.html

The experience of endlessly actively scrolling right, occasionally having to backtrack left when accidentally skipping past the breadcrumbs of poetry, was reminiscent of nothing so much as dealing with Twine narratives which demand shallow interaction – click to continue – without offering any more sophisticated interactions like reader choices.

This definitely isn’t a “game”, but it doesn’t seem any less “interactive fiction” than, for instance, my father’s long long legs. Am I off-base here?

(This makes me start to worry where a line might be drawn or if we might see our next masterwork of IF written in the filenames of an MS-DOS directory listing piped through |more)

Hack: CTRL-F works.

Anyway I don’t find the experience remotely like that of reading even the least interactive Twine. I don’t say this lightly, but I thought “My Father’s Long Long Legs” really would work just as well as a story – the interactivity in the final section didn’t do much for me, and it would be a really first-rate story – but it’s miles closer to other examples of interactive fiction than the star map.

If you’re using it to find planets, you could just click on the symbols at the top.

(Useful shortcuts, but jumping ahead like that can be almost like someone “winning” a choice based story by just randomly clicking the links without reading. You could easily miss the point if that’s how you interact with it.)

precisely so

most are static fiction for the twitter genetation: click to turn a page