IFComp 2023 Review Spreadsheet

Is there going to be a prediction topic for this comp?

3 Likes

I’ll be making one soon! I saw your comment on the spreadsheet.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! I wonder where I’ll be placed in the finalised prediction, considering only 1 IFDB rating… Plus some of the other games, like DMcB.

As far as I remember, in previous predictions published ratings (IFDB, reviews) were taken into account, but the final fortune telling depended as much, if not more, on considerations of length, humour ↔ seriousness, genre, parser/choice, and the extrapolation of where previous IFComp winners fell on these attributes.

3 Likes

Oh, wow! That’s really clever. I wonder which order many of these things fall in? (As in… which is the most and least favourite genre, etc.)

2 Likes

Here’s Autumn Chenn’s attempt at extrapolating the 2021 IFComp results from the period 2018-2020: IFComp score predictions: 2018-2021 - Competitions / IFComp - The Interactive Fiction Community Forum (intfiction.org)

The thread discusses it at some length. The 30th post concludes that the prediction correlates quite nicely with the actual results. All the numbers are still there, and the predictions for 2022 have been linked to somewhere above in this thread.

Fascinating number-juggling

6 Likes

We’re just 2 reviews away from all entries having 9 reviews.

• Meritocracy (relatively straightforward without a lot hidden)
  • One Knight Stand

I’ve reviewed Meritocracy, so I can’t add to the total there. I probably won’t review One Knight Stand except maybe to pinch-hit late Thursday, if it’s the last one to get all reviews to 9 or 10. But I feel OKS is the sort of entry I’m most likely to be unfair to, since it’s in choicescript and contains stats.

Ten seems well within reach. We have 12 targeted reviews to go, 3 entries that need 2 and 6 that need 1.

Here are ones with 9 reviews now. Perhaps someone can say, yes, this is something I’d like to look at.

• For Eternity, Again and Again (very short)
  • Hawkstone (it contains a walkthrough, and it’s a bit long, but if you don’t finish you’ll still have an idea if you like it)
  • The Library of Knowledge (I’ve not reviewed this, plus it was withdrawn, so what to do with this if it’s the only one under ten?)
  • The Long Kill (this is not VERY long, but there’s heavy subject matter)
  • Out of Scope (I’ve not reviewed this)
  • Paintball Wizard (takes place in a frat but it’s not about standard frat hijinks)
  • Shanidar, Safe Return (a walkthrough is really not needed. You can get through without any great mental gymnastics.)

Eleven is possible, but we’d have to target specific entries. So I’ll include the data just in case. We’d need 25 reviews overall for 14 entries, which is a lot to ask, unless we get some late review dumps. (Maybe The Short game will help yet again! If they play 7 games there is a 39*…45/53…*59=13.3% chance they cover 0–everything they covered so far has 11+ reviews. 6 is 17.4 and 5 is 22.9 and 4 is 30.4.)

Eleven

Asterisks are ones I haven’t reviewed yet.
1 Artful Deceit / Creative Cooking / The Engima of Solaris* / The Paper Magician / Ribald Bat Lady Plunder Quest*
2 For Eternity, Again and Again / Hawkstone / The Library of Knowledge* / The Long Kill / Out of Scope* / Paintball Wizard / Shanidar, Safe Return
3 Meritocracy / One Knight Stand*

(By the way, I’m using a script here to figure this out. I attached it. It describes how to create the text file to read. Change -py.txt to .txt.)
10left-py.txt (1.4 KB)

5 Likes

Thanks a lot for the spreadsheet and all the reviews.
As i am not so much a digital person, i would have never found all my revies, also because I would not have imagined so many people taking the time to write it all up.
Generally the competition was a great experience, but the reviews are worth gold :slight_smile: As I am new to the forum and the competition, i would never have imagined this.
Thanks <3

12 Likes

The spreadsheet is once more UP TO DATE

Some milestones:

WE HAVE PASSED 1100 REVIEWS!

• The median for the total reviews is also 15.
  • Only one game is awaiting a review to reach the 9 reviews/game (One Knight Stand)
15 Likes

Oh… and we’re like 20-ish reviews away from passing the 2020 total reviews :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Given that it’s been withdrawn, I just wouldn’t count it when determining the minimum number of ratings and so on. Since presumably the author specifically didn’t want this sort of attention.

2 Likes

I’ve removed the entry from the Media/Average as soon as the announcement of the game being withdrawn was published. (though the reviews are still counted in the total)

5 Likes

Great! I think there was some inconsistency between sheets as some had c2:c44 c46:c76 and the other had c2:c76. (This brings up a question for future comps: should we just knock any withdrawn entry to the very bottom in addition to greying it out, so we don’t need to worry about these details?)

As for your question about when we hit 1100, it appears the 8:59 update this morning (US Central time) had something you added, along with something someone else added, jumping the total from 1092 updated at 6:49. So it looks like the spreadsheet hit 1100 on the 13th … unless we’re tracking when the reviews were actually written?

Current tally is 1112, and 2020 is 1124. This makes breaking a new record pretty much a foregone conclusion as I have 7 reviews in the hopper (including stuff I beta tested) and IIRC in her topic alyshkalia says she plans to review 6 she tested.

milestones: TLDR, not many others in clear view

Either way … there’s no huge milestone to realistically stretch for other than “everything gets 9 or 10 reviews” (1125 = 15 per entry even with the withdrawn one so I’ll say we get that one trivially.) 1200 reviews would require 25-30 reviews a day from the community, all on weekdays no less.

We could maybe target reviews to push the median to 16 overall or 13 public but those aren’t super jazzy cool numbers.

So maybe those who want to do just a bit more are best off just picking one or two more entries we really had something to say about. (We probably knew this anyway, but for anyone who might be thinking to stretch to hit a community goal, it might be wasted effort. It’ll still be fun to read reviews post-IFComp.)

For my part, I wish I’d gotten to more, but getting to about half is good enough given my other projects.

3 Likes

I do not. :joy:
I hadn’t checked the threads all weekends, so I scrolled through them and added the missing ones.

Same, but I’m tapped out of long games/reviews :joy:

6 Likes

And everything has 9 now. I just reviewed One Knight Stand.

For some reason I thought voting ended the 16th and we had one more day. Guess not.

We still could hit 10 reviews for everything. Here are the remaining 7 with 9 reviews:

• For Eternity, Again and Again
  • Hawkstone
  • The Library of Knowledge (I could write a last-minute review of this, if it’s the only one under 10, but it’d just be for the numbers. I’d keep it in the author’s forum.)
  • The Long Kill
  • One Knight Stand
  • Out of Scope (I haven’t played this yet so I may give it a go)
  • Shanidar, Safe Return
6 Likes

It will be the 16th anywhere else but PST → EST :stuck_out_tongue:

Out of respect for the author, it might be best not to do so, imo.
The minimums don’t take it into account anymore

6 Likes

We are only 5 reviews away from breaking 2020’s record. Keep them coming!

4 Likes

Just added my impressions for Xanthippe. 1122 now.

4 Likes

I have some longer entries I want to review today, but I knocked out the shorter ones so we could officially surpass 2020. We’re at 1125. (Though, if we don’t count the withdrawn entry, it’s 1116. Life’s never simple, is it?)

4 Likes

Remember everyone to get your votes registered on the competition website in time. I know some people enter their votes in bulk later. Don’t get caught out. Ultimately we need those votes. Reviews are brilliant, and have been astounding in volume this year. But we need your votes registered too.

9 Likes