IFComp 2022 participants?

I’m in and could still use testers if anyone has time within the remaining couple days for a quick run. I can do a testing swap too.

5 Likes

It was definitely a sprint to the finish but I’ve got a shippable build that’s looking pretty solid! If all goes well with the final touches I’ll be entering this year. :slight_smile: Looking forward to participating again. (After a seven year gap!)

18 Likes

Nice! I was just showing some of your work today in creative writing class. Glad to see you back

8 Likes

Perhaps I’m just not the stuff that true IF authors are made of…

4 Likes

Hi all! I’m entering again, second year in a row. Also finished up a little last-minute and I’m planning on being low-key on the forum this year, but still pretty proud of the small-ish parser game I made. (I started working on it almost exactly a year ago!) Hope you all enjoy and that everyone has a great comp!

14 Likes

Having got as far as you have, I’m sure that can’t be true.

3 Likes

I ran out of time this year, but hopefully next year. Excited to play some games :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Indeed. True IF authors are haggard, hollow-eyed obsessives devoted solely to the craft. They have no friends and no gainful employment, because there is time only for writing IF. There is no fun or joy or friendship. There is only the Author, eating stale potato chips and drinking Red Bull so she may stay up into the wee hours perfecting her code. I’m sure you aspire to this state of authorial Nirvana, but only a special few can achieve it.

19 Likes

You get stale chips. Luxury!

5 Likes

@ChristopherMerriner , I don’t know whether I’m made of that stuff or not, but in that case I was just playing along with @AmandaB … unless she’s not playing…

4 Likes

Slinking away now in defeat

2 Likes

Not certain I’m going to make the deadline. It’s definitely coming down to the wire. Probably it’d be best if I just aimed for Spring Thing instead, rather than pushing too hard without leaving enough time for final testing.

I’ll reassess tomorrow morning and see where I’m at.

6 Likes

Just withdrew. There’s not enough time to get the final build to my testers, so it just seems smarter to keep working on it and wait for the next competition.

11 Likes

I started learning Inform too late in time to make anything worthwhile, and I’ve been pretty busy in real life. I’m excited to play the games when they release, though, and I’ve looked through past comp winners to see what they’re like.

5 Likes

My brother in TADS, do you have any idea how many creatives suffer from imposter syndrome?

If you’re questioning yourself, then you are the stuff.

I get very worried if I feel really confident about anything I make, lol.

7 Likes

Thanks for the words, Joey… I was mainly joking though, in response to @AmandaB ’s depiction of what a “true” IF author is… apparently since I have little children to care for and a few friends, I’m disqualified… :smile:

4 Likes

I was really excited to participate again this year, but then my entry ballooned into something much larger and it’s looking like it’ll be a 2023 game. I’m just as excited to check out everyone else’s games in a few days, though!

6 Likes

I love how edgy that is. I propose merchandise to celebrate the tortured IF artist.

Here’s my suggestion for a printed tee-shirt. There’s a cartoon bed, a computer, and a stick figure.
Caption reads:

• Eat
  • Poo
  • Grue
  • Repeat
3 Likes

Haha. After writing a few games, I have a variant on that that flares up, I think. (Note: I see the funny side of what’s below. I just know it flares up. And maybe it will help others deal, too.)

1. nothing you’ve written up to now is really that good
  2. anything you write is probably can’t possibly be an improvement, because you put your best foot forward with your first few works. You did put your best foot forward, right? Or did you get lazy?

The thing that helps most with this is implementing the boring or pedestrian or technical stuff. Eventually I get absorbed enough in what I’m doing, I don’t have energy for that sort of thought.

7 Likes

Count me in! It took a couple tries to find a game that I could finish in time, but I did manage it (even if it was going through frantic beta-tests all the way up until this morning). I’m excited to see all the entries!

10 Likes