History of IF Comp Series (by mathbrush)

As a convenience, here is an index of all of mathbrush’s posts to date concerning the history of the IF Comp, in chronological order of the year that the competition was held.

1. History of IFComp, year by year: 1995
  2. History of IFComp, year by year: 1996
  3. History of IFComp, year by year: 1997
  4. History of IFComp, year by year: 1998
  5. History of IFComp, year by year: 1999
  6. History of IFComp, year by year: 2000
  7. History of IFComp, year by year: 2001
  8. History of IFComp, year by year: 2002
  9. History of IFComp, year by year: 2003
  10. History of IFComp, year by year: 2004
  11. History of IFComp, year by year: 2005 (halfway)
  12. History of IFComp, year by year: 2006
  13. History of IFComp, year by year: 2007
  14. History of IFComp, year by year: 2008
  15. History of IFComp, year by year: 2009
  16. History of IFComp, year by year: 2010
  17. History of IFComp, year by year: 2011
  18. History of IFComp, year by year: 2012 (Howling Dogs , Twine)
  19. History of IFComp, year by year: 2013
  20. History of IFComp, year by year: 2014
  21. History of IFComp, year by year: 2015
  22. History of IFComp, year by year: 2016
  23. History of IFComp, year by year: 2017
  24. History of IFComp, year by year: 2018
  25. History of IFComp, year by year: 2019
  26. History of IFComp, year by year: 2020
  27. 2021 not yet published
  28. 2022 not yet published
  29. 2023 not yet published
22 Likes

The list is also available and updated on the IFWiki :slight_smile:

6 Likes

May as well have a link to the History of Spring Thing as well to boot. That one only goes to 2017 though.

7 Likes

This is great. I have some thoughts…

• Why not create individual pages for IFComp years on standard Wikipedia in addition to IFWiki?

• I think adding more links and images would be nice. Eg cover art and screenshots. Many games look and play differently and even if they look the same a screenshot gives an idea of the story and style of gameplay.

• Would something like this be useful soon after the competition, not just years later?

2 Likes

The latter question: yes, as a recap of the year in IF.

Speaking of IFWiki, it’s high time to update the ‘history of IF section’. Something along the lines of:

Page: Year
Details: Events in that year, e.g, Spring Thing, IFComp, various other comps and jams (recent years would include Text Adventure Literacy Jam/Parsercomp/Neo-Interactive monthly sessions in addition to things like Ectocomp, Introcomp). Major IF works released.

What else did I leave out that should be included in the History of IF, year by year edition pages on IFWiki? IFWiki experts, any suggestions?

2 Likes

Screenshots are an interesting idea for the later comps, especially for the top 3 games. For the first 16 years or so it would be pretty dull; here are some highlights from that time frame:

Photopia (1998)

Winter Wonderland (1999)

Six Stories (1999)

Kaged(2000)

Blue Chairs (2004)

Beyond (2005)

Everybody Dies (2008)

Six (2011)

The Play (2011)

The Play was the first choice-based game to hit the top 3. After 2011 Twine comes into play and screenshots become more varied and interesting.

Only half of my IFTF grant was to keep making these history posts; the other half is to finish up the draft of my book that compiles it all. I think I’ll include screenshots in the book, thanks for the suggestion!

(as for doing summaries right after the competition, that’s useful but also lacks the benefit of hindsight, in my mind)

8 Likes

I’d like to strengthen my argument for screenshots even for purely text based games. I’m not necessarily interested in actual screenshots in that case - maybe short excerpts or transcripts that give an idea of the writing and the definitely not uniform types of interaction and gameplay. Especially for a historical retrospective it would be a nostalgic reminder for games that one played many years ago, or a tangible lure to catch a new or belated player.

6 Likes

I also like the idea of short notable excerpts, fwiw.

1 Like

Yeah, excerpts. Not even just for the top games, but I like seeing these pictures. If its purely text, it could be a notable piece of text, not a screenshot. But I recommend it. For example:

All Roads

Something inside is telling you to wake up. Part of your mind says “Sunrise approaches.”

Underneath your dream you feel a deep shiver… It is a chime, the bell of a clock-tower. Another follows, and another. You count them, fully awake suddenly, counting them down. Six. Five. Four. Three.

Your eyes close, and your stomach tightens in anticipation. The sheets around you feel very safe.

Two. One.

The first ray of sunlight lances through the slats in the window-blind. It strikes your eyes, and you feel yourself go.

Or shorter, sure, but you get the idea.

1 Like