ECTOCOMP 2020 games are available!

THE COMPETITION IS OVER. CONGRATS TO EVERYBODY!

Check the winners at Itchio, or the ranking at IFDB:

Or just go and enjoy the games! This year has been (again), terrific!

In Spanish, we have only 3 games. But… that’s fine!

As every year, to be hosted in itchio is a mixed convenience. So, if you are logged in in itchio, the filter will be optimized to show the games by the platform. BUT! if you don’t log in, or open the entries in incognito mode, the entries will show the proper categories.

In English we have 12 La petite mort, and 7 Le grand Guignol.

Later we will provide a complete list at IFDB with proper taxonomy.

Lastly, the judging period will last for 15 days. So please, enjoy the games, and enjoy the festivities!

9 Likes

I started adding the games to IFDB: https://ifdb.tads.org/search?searchfor=tag:ECTOComp%202020
The odd thing is the itch page says there are 19 games but in the submissions list I only see 18. Appropriately Spooky! But seriously, anybody know what is going on here?

Most of the games have cover art but I did find a way to get a non thumbnail version so I guess it’s better if the authors add the cover art to IFDB themselves.

4 Likes

It might be a private game. I had my game set to private this morning because I forgot to make it public, but then I fixed it. Maybe someone else had the same issue?

Yay for Ectocomp, boo for me forgetting the dealine is yesterday and not today.

Well, I’ll save it for next year, maybe.

3 Likes

Aww, that’s a shame. I almost did the same thing (In my head I thought I had plenty of time to compile and upload the game to itch as the deadline was the next day. No I didn’t!) Yours was the one with the spooky eyes dog right?

1 Like

Which game is yours Brian? I wrote The Long Nap

1 Like

I wrote Duck Diary, it’s just under the itch name I made for my school’s Interactive Fiction summer camp

4 Likes

This was a fun jam to work on, nice to play around in a very different style. Looking forward to reading everyone’s stories!

6 Likes

Hey guys, if you tuit about the comp in twitter, just remember to use #ectocomp2020
You know, Textualiza account is mainly in Spanish, but in the European evening I will be glad to retuit your games, so we could spread the word in American time.

Happy adventuring!

2 Likes

Is there a minimum number of games required to be played and rated (similar to IFComp’s five games rule)?

Nope.

1 Like

I think it is very soon for people to have played most games and vote… but I will make some reminders when we are in the equator of the comp.

Remember, guys, that this year we have only 15 days to play and vote the games.

3 Likes

Ok, now we are in the equator of the voting period. So, yes, we can start to worry.

Anyway, ECTOCOMP was never meant to be about the votes or the winners, it is about having fun and such, and feed the authors. And, without setting a precedent, yes, we need your feedback to live. So please, check the list of entries that need votes and reviews and proceed to help. Thanks!

The disbalance between the most voted and reviewed and the fewer ones… is just too much. So, remember. There are only 7 days left to play all games.

I’m pretty sure you still have something of that democratic spirit to continue voting! We have already seen that you can make a difference. Your vote counts. Let’s do it!

3 Likes

One of the games was mistakenly set to private until yesterday so it is behind in ratings and reviews and needs some extra attention.

Was there ever an announcement of ectocomp on Twitter? I can’t see one looking back.

You know… there’s no official account for ectocomp on Twitter.

@Textualiza one is for Spanish Interactive Fiction, although you can see I retweet a lot from yours and other important IF in English. But usually, I don’t tuit originally in English.
But, let’s make an exception today:

You can use that tuit to spread the word. But I think ECTOCOMP is something more “internal” to the community. Something of “us”.

Kind regards.

1 Like

I’m working my way through the entries. Have really enjoyed a lot of them this year :smiley:

3 Likes

Last 12 hours!

One twit to spread them all:

Thanks!

5 Likes

Hey everyone. I’ve just written up a very quick short description of the games (in the order they’ve been put up on my random sort on itch) that were entered into Ectocomp this year to give you an idea of what’s out there if you haven’t had a chance to browse them :slight_smile:
(Sorry for anyone’s game I haven’t done justice too. I was trying to condense it into an easy to browse list with the main theme intact. Also sorry I don’t speak Spanish so only the English entries are listed here.)

5hrs to go in the comp- If you have time, please feed the authors with votes and comments. We thrive on attention :yum:

Le Petit Morte (Speed written games)

• Death plays battleship by Nerd date night: The grim reaper holds your soul within his bony grasp, and has demanded a game of chess… I mean battleship… to determine your fate for the rest of eternity.

• Duck diary by Wildbriar_Games: Explore the terrors that lurk beyond your dreams with your favourite bathroom buddy by your side.

• Cabin in the forest by willitchio: We writers like to think we’re not at the mercy of our muses don’t we?

• Rat chasm by Hatless: When rats attack. Probably most concerningly, this senario was adapted from a real event.

• Fracture by DevBits: What happens in someone’s last moments?

• Last day by Earth Traveler:
    “News guy wept and told us,
    earth was really dying,
    Cried so much his face was wet,
    then I knew he was not lying…”
    What would you if you had one day left on Earth?

• Red Fast Bent by bminus7: How many stories can you create with three choices? A short, unsettling choose-your-own poem.

• The long nap by paulseawa: You slept so deeply that no one guessed you would awaken. But now, trapped in a box far underground, can you escape before time runs out?

• The imposter by :Trapped on a ship as your crewmates are picked off one by one. Who or what could be responsible, and will anyone survive long enough to reach your final destination?

• A pilgrim by Caleb Wilson: It’s getting dark and the forest is dangerous. You need to find somewhere to sleep, but that building seems to have secrets of its own…

• Ritus Sacri by quackoquack: Sometimes you wonder if your Latin teacher even reads the homework assignments he gives out. They often seem to be randomly photocopied pages out of any old book in the library. At least passages he’s given you to translate seem more interesting than the last lot.

• Ebony and Ivory’s Halloween party by mchamberlain: The party is prepared and guests have already started to arrive. It’s going to be great, but no! What’s this? Where are the gourds?! Your partner is going to kill you if the highlight of the evening doesn’t happen due to this mistep. Just where does one find a fresh supply of gourds late on a Halloween night?

• Phantasmagoria (Disclaimer- My game): It is not wise to linger beneath the elm that grows near the entrance of the underworld. Not all who sleep beneath its branches wake to tell the tale.

La Grand Guignol (Created in >4hrs)

• Social lycanthropy disorder by ejoyce: You’re a werewolf, a full moon is due to rise soon but you’ve got a Halloween party you simply can’t be a no-show for and retain any measure of social standing. What could go wrong?

• Several other tales from Castle Balderstone by Ryan Veeder: Want to write your own horror story instead of being at the author’s mercy for what they themselves find creeps them out? This game has got you covered with a selection of spooky stories.

• The curse of the scarab by Nils Fagerburg: There’s a skeleton that looks suspiciously like Indiana Jones near the entrance which should give you some idea of what you’re in for. Enter the tomb of all dooms if you dare.

• A very dangerous criminal by kemlly161: You’re driving along a dark lonely road and against the protests of your companion, pull the car over to pick up a hitchhiker. Is everyone whom they appear to be?

• Toadstools by bitterkarella: This mushroom will give you visions, while these will heighten your emotions. Those black ones over there? They’ll kill you stone dead at the first bite so don’t even think about it, but someone will pay for them. Oh yes… and take a piece of this red toadstool with you. One must always take something to forget if you plan to enter wilderness claimed by the god of the forest.

• Better than alone by willitchio: A hard hitting story about being a carer during a pandemic lockdown.

4 Likes

The itchio’s results are in. But throughout the day we will make separate lists for each main category.

So, please, hold a little longer.

Anyway, I think this year has been a really great one. Thanks, everybody for taking part in this little competition.

8 Likes