Don't get too excited yet, but...

Nice to see 3.1 getting closer. Doesn’t look like this is compatible with Google chrome though. pressing enter does nothing so there is no way to start the game. No problem, I have Firefox as well. I will just use that for web play.

It works fine in Chrome 17, and I haven’t noticed any problems in earlier versions.

It was my pop-up blocker causing the problem. Once I told the blocker to allow pop-ups on the site, the game started working correctly.

Nice!! Oops, sorry just got too excited. Heh.

Will you have to upload your games to the IFDB server etc. Or will this be a package that can be downloaded and run on your own server?

Thanks!

You can run it on your own server.

Beautiful! Thanks

Is there any rough ETA on when us lowly avg developers might be able to give this a whirl?

Thanks!

I’m with you! Let’s get it out there as a beta. If there are bugs, there are bugs and that’s fine. That’s why it’s a beta. But relatively frequent updates that people can use are a better way to keep a community engaged, I think.

The updated compiler and adv3web libraries are available in the FrobTADS repository, so you could try them out now if you have access to a Linux system.

(A few minor changes are required to build under OS X; I went through that process today and need to clean it up into a patch.)

The PHP scripts that allow you to redirect a static URL to a game session running on a random port are still unreleased, along with the storage server bits. These are required for hosting a game on your own public server, but you can still do testing without them.

Sorry about that. I lost a hard disk recently in which I stored all my virtual machines (OS X included) and didn’t re-create the whole setup yet. Feel free to send patches anyway. At some point I’ll be up to speed again.

Not to worry; Mike’s name was on the file (osnetunix.h) so I figured it was his fault. :slight_smile:

I’ve emailed the patch to you both.

I created a WebUI version of Jim Aikin’s and Eric Eve’s “Mrs. Pepper’s Nasty Secret”. It can be played here:

foss.aegean.gr/~realnc/t3run/t3l … persWeb.t3

The server is in Greece, and I’d like to know how it feels like latency-wise when playing from anywhere that isn’t Europe.

(Btw, since I’m just testing the stuff right now, the above URL is not going to be there forever, so if you link to it, the link will probably go dead at some point.)

If you have compiled FrobTADS on your own and have built your TADS games with WebUI support (this post explains how to do that), then you can upload your *.t3 file somewhere and play it online by using a link of this form:

http://foss.aegean.gr/~realnc/t3run/t3launch.php?storyfile=http://example.com/MyWebUIGame.t3

Getting about 3 seconds of lag for each command, here in Seattle.

That’s much worse than I expected :open_mouth:

Here’s the ping for reference:

C:\Documents and Settings\george\My Documents>ping foss.aegean.gr

Pinging eloris.math.aegean.gr [195.251.162.183] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.251.162.183: bytes=32 time=368ms TTL=41
Reply from 195.251.162.183: bytes=32 time=358ms TTL=41
Reply from 195.251.162.183: bytes=32 time=392ms TTL=41
Reply from 195.251.162.183: bytes=32 time=312ms TTL=41

Ping statistics for 195.251.162.183:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 312ms, Maximum = 392ms, Average = 357ms

I can see how that can add up to 3s per command, since multiple transfers need to happen. With each one taking over 300ms, that quickly adds up.

Fortunately, IFDB will use a cloud infrastructure to dispatch players to different game servers. Taking ping times (or maybe geolocation information) into account will probably be a good idea.

Two to three seconds in Northern California.

Saving and restoring a game file seems to work.

Found a bug:

In the hint menu (which is now a separate pop-up window with a fairly ugly blue banner), the curly quotes are not showing up properly. Instead, we get “’” (see below) for an apostrophe. This is presumably because the menu text is no longer being routed through the output text filter.