dMagnetic- A Magnetic Scrolls Interpreter

Hello.
I am Dettus, and I am currently writing a new interpreter for the classic Magnetic Scrolls Adventures, such as “The Pawn” and “The Guild of Thieves”.

The first release can be downloaded on my website, just go to http://www.dettus.net/dMagnetic.
Please have a look, any feedback is highly appreciated.

12 Likes

Awesome!

It will compile and work under windows using mingw. Even the pictures work!

1 Like

You might be interested in another simulator here. This is the old debugging sim. The files are probably a mashup from several versions put together, it’s not very tidy. Unfortunately, it doesn’t do graphics, but you can debug similar to gdb.

It requires prog format binaries which are not the same as .mag. There’s a copy of the guild there which should work. This isn’t the original binary.

Yes, the graphics are rendered simply by using ANSI-commands. It was important to me to make it as portable as possible :slight_smile: So I even implemented an ASCII-Art Renderer, you can access it by changing the dMagnetic.ini-file:

Stone Bridge 	      0/3
Stone Bridge 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX$$$$XX$$$$XXX$$$$XX$$$$XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/xx#XX#xxxXXX#xxxXX@xx#XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/#xx//xxx*///xxx*//#xx#XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/#xxx##xx#x*xxxxxxxxxx#XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/x#x####xxx#x#xxxx#xxx/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/##xxxxx#xx#xx#xxx##xx#@XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX//@XXX
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$/*=+#/#///x/*==-+xxxxxxxxxxx#xxxx###x#+=*#/@$//x=+**x@$$$$$$@+=+*=#x++=****x**
x###x####xx#xxx#x####xxx+:=x*+*:++....=xxx#xx#x#xx#xxxxxx###+::+*xxxx*=:**x=xxxxx*:::.--:xx=-x*+**xx
###xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*x=++::x=x::...=xxxxxxx#xx#xxx##x#xxx*=+:xx***x==+*xx*xxxx*:--.-=+*x=+*x+=*x*
xxx*xx#xx#xxxxxx#xxxxxxxx*++=:::*+:...=#xxxxxxx#xxx####xxx#x*-*+-x=+*x--=-+*xxxxx*=-+-.-=+**+*xx=*x*
xxxx#xxxxxxxxx#x**xxxxxxx*x#*=::*.....=x#xxxxx#xxxxxxxxxxx#x*=-x=x*+**+--===xxx**-:-xx=.:=x***+x=-**
xxxxxxx#xxx#xxxxxxxx##xx#*xx**-.=.....=xxx#xx**=--=+x##xxxx#x*-::-+*x++::+x+xx-.=+-+x+:-::+***+*=***
xx**xxxxx*x#xxx#x##xx**xxx##x#*-::-...=xxxxx=*-*x#x--##xx#xxx**=::***=**-:=x*x=:=x=-*+=*=:=+***:++**
xxx**x#xxxxxxxxxxxx*xxxxxx*x*xx*=--.. .xxxx**.-####=:+####xx*+*=-.**++*x*-+x*+-:-=*+=++**---**++=+=*
xxxxxx**xxx#xxxxxxxxxxxx#xxxx#x**=--: :+xxx++--#=++=:-/#x#xx*=**=:*=+++++-**-:=--++++=++*+=====-=+:-
xxx#xxxx#xx*xxxxxxxx##xxxxx##xxx*+==-.-xxxx=+-=#+x+x=-/xxxxx*.:=-+*--****+:.:**+.::+x**=***+:++**+-.
x-**:*xxxxx###xxxxxx***xxx*xxx#x*+===::xxx#=+-+x+x=+==/x*x##+..::=*=.=xx*-.=***=..-:-**+*+---+=xx+*=
=**=**==*+*xxxxx##xxxxxxxxxxx#x**+=*#-=*+=x=+-=x#xx-:-==:+*x*.:++=*+::-++.:=+***+.::-+-*+=:=x#++=xx*
:****=:+x:==xx#xxxxxxxxx*=x/xxxx+=:+x=+x**==--=----:--=::=+*+-:-+:**.:--=*:-+=+*+++--+:*x-:**x*++***
==**+**x=+=-=*x/#*xx*x#x--*//#x*====::+====*x////##x++=:-::---=+++++-:.::+--::+*+*=::=+*++***+*:=xx*
*--=**=*++::=+*##xx#xxxx*:==*xx##x*++=====#/////////#**++--=::--==+==+:.-*=:.:=++=::::-+x-**=:=-=+x*
*x***+==*+.:--**x*xx*-::=-.-=+**+===--==*////////////#****==-..:--:-.-===++=+=:-:-::.::=++*x*:-:=*xx
+xxx+-=x**-..:-=+*+++*#####*=+**+==-*=*///////////////#***x+==.=-::--:=+******x**+::::::==****-=+*x*
+**=:-xx*+=:..:=x#/#x#/##x***+++-==-xx#////////////////x***+x/.+::=-::----=+*======..:=*x=**+=:+*=+=
=++=-::--=+*+----:=*******+=x--x-**=////////////////////x****+=*+:=.:=-:---:::..-====++**+++=-..+*=:
++=--:++x#/#//#*+==******=:=x--x=x///////////////////////x****x/#.*-:+-::::-:::..-++********xx#**x+:
-=+*x###//##///xx*****+-x=:*x--**#///////////////////////#*****+*+#=:=-:-:.::-:::::==+***********x##
####////##/#x********-:+*=:*x+=///////////////////////////#******x*+:x-:--*::=+:-------=+***********
######//#x*******=-=*=-=*+:+#x#////////////////////////////#*******#x/x:==*:-x#::::-------=++*******
#//##xx*******+*=:-*+=-=x+-x///////////#////////////////////#*******xxx:+#x:-=*::-++:---------=+****
#/#*********=-.--:-+*=-=#x*///////////#//////////////////////#****+*+*xxx//.-=+::-*+..:----------=+*
x********+=-.:+-=:-*/*-+//////////////////////////////#///////x***+***x#///=-x+.:-x=:::@=:----------
*******=--:.:-+-+:-*+=:x///////////////////////////////////////x*****+++*+*--//.:=*:.:+x+:::--------
****+++::*=+::+*x:-x//////////////////////////////////////////##*********x/////-:=+-.-+*-:::x*-:----
**=---+:-*=x:-+##:-#//////////////////#//////////////////////////**********#///+:*/+::+=-:-=#x-::::-
=::=*:*:-*+x::+++=+#////////////////////////////////////////////##**********++++=x/*::+--.-=*x-:::==
:::=*:=:-*#/=:+/////////////////////////////////////////////////#/#**********x/////#.:**:.-=++-.:-+*
+::-*--:-*x#=:*/////////////////##////////////////////####/////////#***********#////:-x/-.-=-=-..+x*
-...-.+  -:.. -+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------.:. .=+: ...:.  :==

You are near the edge of a cliff.to the east,a stone bridge spans a deep ravine at the bottom of which runs a fast flowing river.westward leads onto an extensive,grassy plain. 

>?

Internally, I am using callbacks though. Because I imagine future versions to have a proper Graphical Interface. But that’s waaaaaaaaay along the road.

I will have a look at your simulator. Thank you very very much.

1 Like

I just uploaded version 0.02 to my website. It is easier to read the texts, the low ansi renderer was improved, and i started working on the documentation.

1 Like

Version 0.03 is out. Now it is possible to play through “Jinxter”.

And with release 0.05, you can play through “Corruption”. :slight_smile:

AAAAAAAND welcome to release 0.06. you will be able to finish WONDERLAND.

2 Likes

There was a small Bug. I fixed it, now it is possible to play through “Myth” as well.
Release 0.07 allows you to play all Magnetic Scrolls Adventures.

1 Like

Version 0.08: I finally managed to include graphics from “Corruption” and “Wonderland”.

Release 0.09 comes with initial support for GLK.

1 Like

And version 0.10. Enjoy!

1 Like

Version 0.11 now.

Forget Version 0.11. Version 0.12 looks much better.

1 Like

Version 0.14.

If you can read this, you do not need glasses :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Version 0.16 is out! This one is printing out the text properly aligned. (left/block/right)
Reading it is less distracting, and more fun!

1 Like

Version 0.17 is out, and it saw improvements with the low ansi renderer. Just look at Mr. Peckham, enjoying his cigar.

4 Likes

This is really cool - writing a replay to remind myself to check this out tonight. Congrats on all this!

Thank you. Hopefully you’re going to have as much fun playing it as I had writing it. :slight_smile:

1 Like