dMagnetic- A Magnetic Scrolls Interpreter

Nice!

Trivia:
In the original text, it says he’s wearing a hat, which is not in the picture. When we remastered it, the text was adjusted.

Hahaha. You are indeed correct!

→ SHOW CARD TO TELLER

The teller takes one look at the card and leaves her position behind the till.
A few moments later a short fat man with a cigar and top hat (he must be a capitalist) comes up to you, introduces himself as Mr Peckham and, taking you by the arm, leads you into his office.

1 Like

So. Release 0.18 is out.

dMagnetic has been part of the latest OpenBSD 6.6 release, the latest FreeBSD, and now there is a Gentoo ebuild out as well. :smiley:

1 Like

With a little patch, it is possible to run dMagnetic on ancient SGI machines :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

3 Likes

I tried to build it manually but encountered some issue - would you be interested in feedback on what I encountered? (Or - are there binaries available to download?)

certainly! what is the issue?

if you were talking about compiling it on a SGI machine: I had a problem there with the missing unistd.h library. So I wrote a small patch and put it onto my website: http://dettus.net/dMagnetic/vm68k_datatypes.h

dMagnetic 0.19 will be supporting IRIX natively :wink:

I’m on Ubuntu - just to confirm, do you recommend the mkpackage.sh script over mkpackage2.sh?

Neither. :wink: both are work in progress.
Just download the sources and run

sudo make install

That should do the trick!

2 Likes

Oh - just tried mkpackage.sh and it worked - and the previous time I tried to build the interpreter, something happened but I can’t remember what it is. And it works! And I now see that you have replied about the make command, which I can try as well. But yes, it came up - awesome work, this is really cool!

I think you might love these screenshots from Ubuntu Touch. I just build dMagnetics for arm and it works:

2 Likes

I do! Very much. :slight_smile: Thank you!

So, do you plan on turning this one into an official package?

Version 0.19 is out. It can read the original MS DOS binaries and image files.

I was thinking about it but Ubuntu Touch install packages are clicks (sort of ancestor snaps) that use qml frontend (which will lose the point of your work). There’s a way to install deb packages using a Libertine container but I don’t know how to pack deb :slight_smile:

My final thought was to wait and see how your development goes…

so you could create an ubuntu touch package from a .deb? Hmmm… not bad… this might help: https://packages.debian.org/sid/dmagnetic

There are two different things:

• clicks
  • debs installed via libertine container

but yes, definitively it helps… testing in 3, 2, …

Yesterday, I finalized release 0.20. It enables users to play JINXTER from old DOS binaries, and even to load ancient save-games!

On top of that, a textual glitch has been fixed, one that was preventing the solution of the sliding puzzle. (My apologies about that.)

1 Like

Aaaaand… Release 0.21 is out. There was a bug in 0.20. I fixed it, and now it is possible to play “Corruption” and “Fish!” as well. You can even load your old save-games!!

1 Like

It looks like this could be fun with Sixel graphics.

1 Like

Correction: It could be MORE fun! :wink:

Are you talking about this technique here? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixel
That is a great idea. I will try it out!! Thanks!!!

1 Like

Yes! That’s exactly what I mean!