Credits as easter eggs?

I’d guess the banned list is a list of people who tested the game. It’s a bit of a tradition to find fun ways to incorporate the credits list into the fiction.

8 Likes

No, if you check the about section, quite a few people opted in to be there - not testers! (Also, it’s not a banned list, it’s an allowance list! As in, they are allowed to enter the dressing room.)

2 Likes

so a cameo for ßtesters… interesting idea… scribble, scribble

Thanks, and best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

2 Likes

But they weren’t testers… The testers appear in the ABOUT section, as do the Dressing Room Register names. I asked on the old Regulars chat whether people wanted to do this, and both testers and non-testers replied.

(I think it is fun to add a cameo for testers, even if it’s a very small one.)

2 Likes

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

For Scroll Thief I worked hard to get every tester’s name into the fiction somewhere, which got increasingly difficult as more and more bug reports came in. For Enigma I went a simpler route and just put a book in the library that lists all the testers. For Stormrider most of them are only in the CREDITS/ABOUT, since it’s important to the plot that you can’t read anything around the ship, but one person’s name did get integrated into the game text somewhere, if you can find it.

5 Likes

Interesting, Daniel. so, the “natural” placement for ßtesters cameo aboard a mercant ship (sea, air or space don’t matter) was precluded by PC & setting design. on top of it, allow cameos of funny bug found by testers…

oh, I near forget to explain the natural placement… merchant ships are always rated and inspected prior of being certified for navigation, in a process conceptually NOT different from ßtesting. so, I actually was expecting an “ship/engine inspection register” in someone’s room, with inspector’s signatures suspiciously similiar to the nick of the denizens of this very forum…

ex.: Lloyd's Register - Wikipedia

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

3 Likes

Indeed; papers like that are found on the ship, but they’re utterly incomprehensible to the player character, so putting recognizable names in them would undercut that.

3 Likes

I have a copy of Stonehenge in my game covered in graffiti, and all the testers usernames appear as graffiti in Stonehenge. Usually, I just list in the credits though!

6 Likes

yes, Daniel, is what I actually mean.

(perhaps I should have wrote “I see that” (or “I see,” ?) in place of “so,” in the post above ??)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

2 Likes

I incorporated the names of several people who tested or gave significant helpful feedback into the post-comp updates of Transparent. Usually in letters or names on posters; one specifically mentioned they should be able to look under a hearth rug that was only mentioned scenery so under the now-existing rug is basically a “Happy now?” message :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I invited testers to write reviews and/or blurbs for the “Reader’s Companion to Repeat the Ending.” I only had one taker, which turned out great. I’m already thinking about ways to do something like that again.

E: I also quoted reviews in the post-festival release!

5 Likes

There’s a somewhat hidden scarf or sweater in Lydia’s Heart. The names of some of the testers are on the label. It serves no other purpose as far as I could find.

2 Likes

late to the party, but I remember Max asking in the Forum chat if he could use our name somewhere in the game for fun :stuck_out_tongue:
Now I’m bummed I didn’t manage to get to that part and see my name :joy:

5 Likes