Cragne Manor hint thread

Hi all,

I’m playing Cragne manor, and I think I may need more explicit hints about the music room puzzle (in particular, the living room) than I’ve seen on the thread. Any help is much appreciated.

I have explicit instructions in the form of a note with two riddles, and the body is awake, and I have the police report, but I need to do something in the living room. I think I know what to pick up, but it doesn’t give me a chance to say any name–it makes me say “hello?” and then it ends. I only ever seem to get that 1 chance to pick the thing up. I feel like I’m missing the right syntax, maybe?

Sorry for the obliqueness of the above–I don’t know how to use spoiler tags on this forum, so I’ve tried to give as little away as possible.

1 Like

Have you solved either riddle? If I recall, it should be of use in this situation. You have part of it, but I believe that before that naming there is a specific sequence.

(Something like picking up and hanging up repeatedly?)

You mean the riddles from the note? I’ve definitely solved the first one (about the circle). It’s the second (about the ears) I’m trying to solve.

The second one says to say my name first.

Maybe I’m not saying the right name (although I’ve tried with mine, Francines, and all the ones on the list). “hang up” isn’t a recognized verb, but I’ve picked up three times in a row, both before and after saying the name, and nothing happens.

I figured it out. Time can change in the room with the phone. Make sure it is night time when you try it. For me, an event in a different setting on the music room triggered the time change.

Thanks! It’d been night when I first entered the room, and I hadn’t checked since then.

1 Like

Hi, I’m stuck in the forbidden annex, and I’ve already read every single one of the books available. I’ve also lured the ghost away but I have no clue what to do next. The hint keeps saying that I can find what I need by asking the ghost about characters in the book But I’ve already done that and I still can’t find a way to progress. I really really really need help because I’ve been stuck on this puzzle for a few days now.

Hi fourleafclover and welcome to the forum!

First of all, a meta thing that you’re probably not stuck on: you’ll need to lure the ghost back in order to be able to ask him about the thing

To do this you can ring the bell

For the main thing, I’m afraid that the relevant thing may be something that’s not accessible if you miss it the first time–if you have a lot of scrollback or a saved transcript that will help

the thing you want is not in the proper text of any of the books

in one of the first few books you read, there should’ve been something scrawled that mentioned a name

in case you don’t have this written down and it’s inconvenient to replay the relevant part, according to my notes it’s

barach’speroth arguule

Hi, I’ve been at the manor library for too long…What is the combination for the safe? So far I’ve looked at the paperbacks, the chair, the massive tome (with the circled numbers), the desk… but I can’t get a clue.

1 Like

This might be the room where you have to try a pretty specific action. It involves:

the chair.

Have you tried sitting in the chair?

Have you looked at

every single individual paperback?

One of them is different from the others.

If you keep in mind what game Cragne Manor was inspired by, that’ll help you figure out which one to look at.

Also I could be barking up the wrong tree here, as I do not remember Brian’s suggestion.

Honestly, I didn’t check before posting. may be remembering the wrong thing! And what you mention is an essential part of the puzzle…

thanks! Didn’t think that I need to sit down in the chair and then read the book

I may have hit on the solution without knowing it when I played!

fwiw I don’t recall having to sit in the chair.

I may be thinking of a beta version

Ohh, ok. Thank you so much!

Hi all, hope someone is still here. I’m completely stuck in the workroom. I’ve found the three glyphs, gone to the island temple, and looked up the name from there, but I can’t make any sense of the hint about the gates of slumber and the unpronounceable name. I’ve tried just about every combination of spells and moon phases that I can think of.

1 Like

The unnameable name is something that you’ll recognize when you see it. It’s explicitly called that when you see it.

Just to check that when you say that you’ve looked up the name from the island temple, you mean Arne Cragnessum.

This is a hint as to how to find the thing you’re looking for–it involves the Summerlands.

Series of increasingly explicit hints:

What might lead you to find where the Summerlands impinge on the dream realm?

Think of how you’ve manipulated the weather in the trance in the past…

Say IA/MALETH/VULLE.

Well, you aren’t going to see what you’re looking for at that point… what you see is a crumbling stone wall.

Crumbling means ready to break.

What do you know that will let you break stuff?

Say OGGOTH.

Then examine the tomb.

(FWIW I did this in the wrong order when I played. I stumbled across this part by trying fairly random combinations, and then later I found the passage that actually gave me the hint about it.)

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like