Cragne Manor hint thread

that’s a good question. I kept doing that initially lol. Lemme go make out with it.

Thanks, much appreciated! Let me know if there is anytying I can do to help.

Okay, I’m a tiny bit mystified re: the puzzlebox issue. Couple things to try (that I’m not optimistic about but it’d be enlightening to find out if they work):

Move to another location & try pressing buttons
The internal names are ljm_box_button_0 through ljm_box_button_4

If you get a chance to try those out, let me know what happens! Thanks!

[spoiler]>d

Tunnel Entrance (Grueslayer)
The ladder leading down the funnel ends here at a brick wall with one or two interesting features. Only a little light shines through the funnel and bathes the surroundings in eerie shadows. The ground seems to be made up of treaded down dirt. A masoned, semi-circular tunnel leads southeast, the walls made up from the same musty red bricks as the wall marking its end. The tunnel is about six feet high. Rolled up on the ground in the southwestern corner is a hobo who declared this tunnel his bedroom.

You hear a sound from somewhere down the tunnel. Maybe a rat. Hopefully a rat.

i
You are carrying:
an ornate metallic box (smelling faintly of mildew) (closed)

press v
You can’t see any such thing.

press v button

press ljm_box_button_1
Which do you mean, large flat button or the six buttons?[/spoiler]

How do address an object directly by its internal name? The parser doesn’t seem to understand.

I uploaded my Lectrote save if anyone wants to have a look: ufile.io/lf1o2

I do not know how to use commands with internal names, but I checked your save normally and had no success with unlocking the box.
And I did everything exactly like in my own playthrough.

[spoiler]>i
You are carrying:
an ornate metallic box (smelling faintly of mildew) (closed)

For a moment you think you see something moving in the shadows, but it’s probably just your mind playing tricks on you.

x box
(the ornate metallic box (smelling faintly of mildew))
The palm-sized box seems to be carved out of a dull gray metal. A clear seam around the top of the box suggests that it should be able to be opened. The lid is adorned with elaborate painted panels. On one side you see a large flat button and five smaller engraved buttons.

x panels
(elaborate painted panels)
There are four separate images painted on the top of the box, arranged from one end to the other. The first is a bird. The second is a camel. The third is a strange three-legged toad. The fourth is a snake.

x buttons
There are six buttons on the box. One button is large and flat. The five remaining buttons are smaller and are each engraved with a different symbol - a circle, a vertical line, a V-shape, a Y-shape, and an X-shape.

press v

press x

press y

press circle
It is fixed in place.

press circle button

press flat
Some mechanism within the box whirs, sounds like it gets stuck, and then clicks loudly.[/spoiler]
I now think that the mildew interferes somehow.
I restarted the game when my items started “smelling faintly of mildew” and left the gloves where I found them.

The buttons do indeed seem to be missing.

If you want to skip this puzzle without restarting: I’ve uploaded a copy of your savefile modified as if someone had somehow entered the right combination (but not yet pushed the big button) to ufile.io/mmpfa .

Thanks a lot! I cannot image how you have achieved this hackery.

Now back to the other things I am stuck with…

According to the cup, I’m stuck in the following locations:

Inside the Shack,
The Invisible Worm,
The meatpacking plant (I guess I need something to cleave the dog carcass),
The Shambolic Shack (got what’s inside the wheelbarrow),
Greenhouse (need sharpened machete),
Rec Room (need to unlock cabinet),
Sitting room (I guess I need the letter openener),
Narrow Straits (need key to unlock sarcophagus),
Abandoned Nursery (need part to fix vacuum cleaner).

I don’t have any location to make progress in (unless I missed a room). Any hints?

How many things have you gotten out of the wheelbarrow?

Thanks!

I’m trying to find the unnameable name in the workroom. I’ve followed the directions from the lakebed book but no dice…

Also, for the town square i’ve got the shape set up like this

BLACKBIRD |TREE |SPARROW |CUBE |WOMAN |FEATHER
SHI |AAK’EE |HAI |TLÈÈ |JI |DAAN
FISH |EAGLE |PIG |EYE |WOODPECKER|CROSS.

But i’m not sure what to do now. I’ve tried other combinations but I can’t get it to line up completely

Okay, now I appear to be done with everything except

the Narrow Straits. Specifically I am missing a key to open the sarcophagus. Any hint where to find it?

You still have one more room to do if you don’t have the key:

have you completed the curiosity shop?

Thanks, somehow I didn’t discover that location.

Hi all, does anyone have any hints for the church basement? the room with the TV and mannequin. The coffee cup tells me I have everything I need, but I was initially in this room a few weeks ago and I don’t recall specific hints. I’ve turned the TV on by bleeding on the mannequin, I’ve taken the rug, and I’m pretty sure I’m supposed to fast forward some of the videos to a specific spot, but I’m not sure which videos and to what point. Thanks!

For the church basement:

Examine the amulet.

Aha! That makes sense. Thank you!

Hey there, @MKennedy - I found a few more interesting things that you can find out about: Cthulhu & R’Lyeh, Illuminati, and the Others, but all of this is just for fun. None of it really solves the puzzle. If you are still looking for that, the clues have already been shared in this thread, but it’s about finding out more about the SECRET he is keeping. (It’s a joke on his brother’s expense.)

What does the centipede want?

it’s carnivorous