Counterfeit Monkey

I think I’ve made an error, I am unable to deal with Atlantida and judging from other hints, I have no means whatsoever of decapitalising her. All I have is my remover and an anagram gun. I can’t go back because the portcullis is closed.

I think that if you scroll back a bit through this thread, you will find someone else stuck at the same place, and a solution.

Ok thanks dude. Grrr So obvious! Anyway, I completed it, easy level, got 100 percent (the last increase being 15 pcnt from 85) . I did it using Fabularium on my android mobile (Fairphone 3) . It’s a bit tricky doing the typing, but was worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and the story is brilliant. Thank you Emily Short.

1 Like

So I’m stuck, like many before me, unable to find or create ammunition for the anagramming gun. The most non-spoilerish hint possible would be welcome.

Also, I’ve used the remover on every letter except q. I’m assuming that an opportunity to use the q-remover will be coming up later?

Another couple of minor things I found when playing around:
The game crashes if I try to turn the hostel clerk’s blouse into a louse;
In idly playing around with what I can do with the mirrored pedestal, the game crashes if I try to turn a rat into some tar.

Thanks

1. Something in your inventory will help.

2. Something in the Equipment Archive is not what it seems.

3. Examine everything with the monocle.

4. The lamb granulates are anagram bullets. GEL LAMB.

You might also enjoy using my invisiclues.

Also, I’ve used the remover on every letter except q. I’m assuming that an opportunity to use the q-remover will be coming up later?

Yes.

The game crashes if I try to turn the hostel clerk’s blouse into a louse

I don’t reproduce that. When you restart the game, what release number are you playing? The current latest release is “Release 8.”

Counterfeit Monkey
A Removal by Emily Short
Release 8 / Serial number 181204 / Inform 7 build 6M62 (I6/v6.33 lib 6/12N)

FWIW, in the Github version of Counterfeit Monkey, the mentioned bugs are fixed. The first one is issue #139, fixed by commit 7569bc8. The second one is probably issue #117, fixed by 756ada0. Or it may be an unreported bug with living things on the spinner, fixed by 84646c8.

Hi! I have spent hours upon hours on this last bit and even though I’ve read the Invisiclues and the source code, I can’t get past this one bit.

I can’t disarm Atlantida with the anagram gun as suggested - right after the gun turns into an astrologer, the guards come in, and I’m prompted to restart that round. I have no chance to gel the astrologer. Everything else I do from that time onwards gets me stuck in this loop. How do I break out?

This is a timed puzzle, so you might just be out of turns. I’d try typing UNDO repeatedly until it fails or go back to your last save.

I also have found that the “shall we suppose that we didn’t?” automatic restore feature can fail in this area, and especially trying to undo after “supposing we didn’t” doesn’t work well.

I haven’t tested any of that in Release 9, though.

I think for the timed puzzles (fish market, roundabout, personal apartment) it would make sense to have the game auto save before the timer, and restore back to that save if you use the “suppose” feature.

I suppose that would be a nice feature, but it wouldn’t be trivial to implement. I’ll look into it when it is time for a new release.

In most cases, repeated UNDO should be enough to get you out of the unwinnable situation.

Actually, if there are other examples of the game leaving the player in an unwinnable state after “Shall we suppose we didn’t?,” please report them on Github. I have a hunch that the Atlantida battle might be the only one, but I’m not sure.

Yeah I did both those things but they didn’t work. I asked on GitHub and my only option was to reset.

this is a shot in the dark but i’m sort of desperate (more annoyed than anything).

Score: 79
gotten stuck on trying to

“Test T-inserter on situations where it could build more than one thing”

and i’m worried i don’t have the needed object.

Here’s my inventory:

a backpack,
a flash drive,
a monocle,
some Origin Paste,
some plants (really the smuggled plans in disguise),
a roll,
your T-remover (upgraded to handle animates and abstracts),
and a tub of restoration gel.

We are also carrying (i’ve tried using the gel on everything below):
a band,
a bandana,
a bin,
a pair of Britishizing goggles,
a clock,
a coat,
a cross,
a draft document,
a fossil,
Guidebook to Anglophone Atlantis,
some baklava,
a key (which opens the apartment door),
a leaflet,
a letter,
a map of Slangovia,
a pastis,
a pearl,
a pita,
a ring (which opens the sturdy iron gate),
a screwdriver,
some screws,
a shred,
a shuttle,
a swatch,
a sword,
a twig,
a wrap,
and a spill.

if anyone is somehow reading this, would appreciate it if you can help out :pray:

Welcome to Intfiction.org!

This is untested, but should work:

1. You have at least one object that can be used for this

2. What can you make of the pita?

3. Can you make an I?

4. PITA->PIT->PI->I

5. Create a TIT and an IT

EDIT: Recommended reading, although it might not help in this particular case: Counterfeit Monkey Invisiclues

1 Like

Thank You! :heart: U da man.
Thanks for the recommendation as well, will definitely check it out.

(dropped the apple at the Babel cafe just before going into the bureau. oof.)

Glad I could help!

By the way, you’re not really supposed to worry about leaving the wrong thing behind in this game. It should always be possible to finish it anyway.

1 Like

ahh, i did not know that…
again, thanks for the help

Hi there! Just made a new account for this specifically but i’m also stuck at the last requirement for the t-inserter. I don’t have the apple, pita, or access to the seer automaton. My inventory is:

a backpack
a flash drive
a monocle
some Origin Paste
a plan (really the smuggled plans in disguise)
a roll
a tub of restoration gel
and your W-remover (upgraded to handle animates and abstracts).
an army
some asparagus
a band
a bandana
a bin
some chard
a clock
a coat
a cross
a crumpled cocktail napkin
a draft document
Guidebook to Anglophone Atlantis
a heel
Journal of Third-World Economics
a key (which opens the apartment door)
a leaflet
a letter
a lime
a map of Slangovia
some members
a pastis
a ring (which opens the sturdy iron gate)
some sage
a screwdriver
a shrimp tail
a shuttle
a sign
a silver platter
a sticky
Studies in Primary Language Acquisition
a sword
a twig
a watch
and a yam

i feel like i’ve tried just about everything and haven’t found anything which met the goal when i tried it. Kinda worried i’m softlocked.

Welcome, @ManifestMerlin!

You should still be able to use the

sign

to make:

sin

stint

tint

tit

I

And then use the solution above.

That worked! Thank you so much.

1 Like