Comp is live!

https://ifcomp.org/

How did it take this long for someone to come up with “Citizen Makane”??

And yes, lotta boats.

32 Likes

:partying_face:

8 Likes

:tada:

8 Likes

That’s great!

I know @cchennnn created some scripts last year to automatically create ifdb pages. Does anyone know how to run those?

7 Likes

Indeed. Although I think non-nautical mysteries might be our majority. Are there always this many detective stories? I don’t think I recall so many from the last few years. Will be interesting to compare them!

10 Likes

Ha - thanks. We’ve been doing the normal post-launch scramble on other things and I just realized that I had not posted here about going live. Appreciate it, Mike!

11 Likes

:champagne: :clinking_glasses: :tada:

8 Likes

“Comp is live!”

Na na, na na na!

Co-co-comp is live!

Na na, na na na…

11 Likes

So much so that there are two game names which start (and one that ends) with the words “All hands”!

And a game about fixing broken tech for an older person, which is what I do in my day job… Still, it could be worse, I could be a sailor!

7 Likes

As a request, please tag your original posts appropriately:

• ifcomp2023 for general discussion (sometimes these posts might fall outside the category - it also helps when searching and filtering for messages applying to specific years, since there are similarly-titled “The Comp is Live!” type messages every year.)
  • ifcomp2023-game for reviews and specific game discussion. This will allow people who haven’t played the games yet to avoid spoilers.

Anyone who is a forum Regular can edit tags by clicking the pencil icon next to the title of the first post in a topic.

7 Likes

Boats must be the zeitgeist. The “ending” of my game involves a boat too.

8 Likes

Of course! Plus this way I get to soak up a bunch of likes on a zero-effort post :slight_smile: Thanks for all your work!

Oops, sorry, I thought I used the right one, but I was doing this on my phone, so see above re zero-effort.

8 Likes

No problem! I actually goofed up and had an extra hyphen in the tag in my message - now “ifcomp-2023” should replace itself with “ifcomp2023” (minus the hyphen) as a synonym.

6 Likes

Lot of murder mysteries in the mix also. Usually there’s several in an IFComp but there’s like eight in this one.

11 Likes

Seems like there’s a weird number of games about painters? As well as the general nautical boatery and murder mysteries that everyone else has pointed out already. Wonder what’s been in the air…

8 Likes

Transcript question. I would like to include transcipts in this year’s reviews where possible. If I play through the web, are these logged for authors automatically? Or should I manually generate them as I go?

4 Likes

They are logged for authors if you play on the Comp site, yeah, so that works. I do think it can be nice to post transcripts to the forum, though - I’ve sometimes gotten stuck in a game without complete hints, or been curious about a reviewer’s experience, and it’s nice to be able to check that out.

6 Likes

Oh no, just when I finally have all the interpreters I need downloaded and customized, a reason to revert to playing online comes along :joy:

6 Likes

You can always save a transcript locally and post it with a review, or send it to the author directly! I actually prefer offline play too.

5 Likes

Thanks Jacq and the other organisers for your tireless efforts to allow us to get words in front of other people.

9 Likes