Cloak of Darkness

Cloak of Darkness (http://www.firthworks.com/roger/cloak/) is a very interesting site, and one of the few that I’m aware of that directly compares the different IF systems available to any great depth.

However, I find the sample game rather odd, focusing on a few, quite specific, objectives and a very small fraction of what can be done with these languages.

Would anyone be interested in having a larger sample used to compare the various systems, perhaps one that would explore more features of each system and allow users to make a more informed (no pun intended) decision?

If you were to post a specification for what the game should do, I would be happy to write a T3 version. Then I’m sure a few of the T3 veterans would be happy to rip my example apart and point out all the ways I could have done it better. :slight_smile:

Lol, probably best if I didn’t specify it as you might think I was being biased. But something that covers a large section of commonly used functionality would be a good thing I think.

Cloak of Darkness did always seem a bit odd to me. Lit/unlit rooms are rarely used much these days, and the “puzzle” is utterly arbitrary and can be made unsolvable without warning. But other parts, such as preventing a broad spectrum of actions are useful things to see in any language.

Although I think the main purpose of the example is to provide a small demonstration to let players get a feel of the languages, for which I think it serves its purpose well, regardless of whether you’d actually want to make a game using those kinds of actions.

Still, in a more comprehensive example, I’d suggest some things that should be covered would be:

Simple:
Change player description.
Add some “about” text.
Add a character with one abstract ask/tell topic and one about an object in the game world that the player may or may not have encountered.
Add a verb with a default response for all objects, for a class of objects and for a specific object.
Add a new direction.
Teleport the player to a different location.
For systems that force manual door-opening, manually picking up items before you can put/give them, or any other old-school busywork, show how to turn this off.

More Complex:
Write the game in first person past tense.
Switch between two player characters.

At least, these are the kinds of things I’m interested in. :smiley:

Well maybe I don’t know you very well, but I wouldn’t think you were being biased. Or at least I would assume any bias was unintentional.

Agreed. I think it’s a great idea for a fun project.

For verbs, maybe best to provide examples of each kind… no objects, one direct object, or a direct and indirect object.

Come on, Pacian. “More Complex”?! You know as well as anyone how trivial both of these are to do in T3. Or are they complex in other languages? :stuck_out_tongue: