Chess Chats

If you get the opponent’s queen, he will get your queen (with the rook). [Edit: I didn’t see 27. …Qxd4+. I assumed 27. … hxg4.]

And he can move his king. It doesn’t seem to me like a near mate, but perhaps I overlooked some moves.

1 Like

The computer (depth 32) finds mate in 10 once I made the move. Queen or no Queen, I win once I secure the c file with both rooks.

Here’s one of the longer play, where I just sac all my pieces for fun.

It shows you how overwhelming my advantage is.

1 Like

I see now! Good game.

I had a similar ending yesterday. I was good in the first third of the game. The computer was good in the second third. And in the last third, the endgame, there were nearly only pawns. And I won :slight_smile:

Edit: Which chess site do you use? Chess.com? And how do you know the computer’s depth? I only know its ELO.

Edit 2: Man, I’m a bit stupid today. You posted a link, so it’s chess.com. And the depth belongs to the analyzer, not to the computer opponent.

1 Like

Trapping both the Bishop and the King is so satisfying!

Here’s the actual game where the King gets mated too quickly. Not as much fun.

I counted a mate in 20.

1 Like

Down to the last 10 seconds on my clock, with 5 points evaluation. Can you do a breakthrough?

Technically, the position is drawn and he could have won by running down my clock. But hey, baiting opponent’s personality is a legitimate tactic! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’m having a tough time winning recently. I had an extremely long chain of losses/draws. That only happened once before. I wonder if there’s something going on?

I was barely able to win this one. Quite a heavy time pressure. For some reason, I get better result playing 1+1 minute games. Hmmm. Does it look like a bunch of people simultaneously cheat all at once, or is it just a bad luck on my end?

At least I didn’t make any mistakes or blunder on this game. That 6 seconds time pressure, though.

This is an example of my 1+1 game. The position is where I was able to see a forced mate in 12 (in about 1 second!)

White to mate in 12 (premove)

Feels like I have better positional awareness. Certainly, there’s no time to calculate.

Although this may happen.

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder if the computer have strange algorithm. The computer suggests check, and I did check, albeit differently.

Yet, the best decisive move is Qa7!

Since the Black Queen is in a bad square, it’s either trade Queens or deal with b7 followed by promotion and check.

1 Like

Yeah, the computer is strange.

I guess computer opponent and computer analyzer are different algorithms. When it comes to computer opponent I have come to like Stockfish, used by lichess.org. I don’t like Shredder chess (I bought that a long time ago for my mobile) and chess.com. Though chess.com’s computer opponent have sort of “personality”. For example my current opponent (ELO 1300) has a tendency to push his queen forward into action.

1 Like

Is this game between Einstein and Oppenheimer real or just in the movie?

Speaking of which, here’s mine

At 10 moves, it’s one of the quicker game I played.

1 Like

According to some YouTube videos they played 1933.

1 Like

In this game, I was playing as Black. White is obviously in trouble.

However, I then offer you (playing as White) to trade my Queen with your Rook, and let you promote your pawn to Queen so that our material points is even, in exchange for $100, ostensibly to allow you drawing or even winning chances.

I’ll even promise not to capture your newly promoted Queen, as to follow the spirit of the offer.

Will you take the exchange offer? Why or why not?

Edit: for clarity, we’ll both end up with a King, a Queen, and 2 Pawns.

Hint: you may use a computer to analyze the position. Just let me know how it goes. I’m curious if a computer program can properly analyze the puzzle.

I can only see this:

1. … Qb1+
  2. Ka3 then I can’t see how to checkmate White.

(I don’t use computer analyze.)

1 Like

Here’s the answer:

1 Like

Missed that mate in 4. Successful King Gambit.

I wonder why it feels like people got way better than before when it comes to longer times? It’s like I’m really successful with shorter time limits.

Not counting when I blundered a won game, of course.

1 Like

I guess it starts this way:

1. Qh6+ Ke7/8

2. Re1+ Kd7/8

But then I don’t know which piece to move.

I generally need a long time. I think I never would win a Blitz game.

1 Like

If Kd8, Qxf6+
If Kd7, Bb5+!
If Be6, Bxe6

That Bishop move is hard to find quickly. I certainly didn’t find it during the frenzied King Hunt!

1 Like

That’s quite a pawn chain!

Unfortunately, I made a mistake and allowed a draw. Fortunately, my opponent isn’t a grandmaster and totally missed it!

The key lies in the fact that King and Queen lie in different colored squares.

Development matters! White to move and win.

Hint: brilliants.

It’s been awhile that I got a brilliant. Notice that half of Black pieces are still sitting on their original squares!

1 Like

A short game. It was rated 1500.

Black has to move the Rook, or else get mated. Of course, that was secondary consideration. Black did move the Rook.

He missed the bishop move, so got mated. However, continuing the game with computer (2900), the game got rated at 2500. Quite a difference!

I think the rating process takes into account player ratings also.

Edit: This is supposed to be a 15 minute game? It didn’t take that long!

1 Like