Chess Chats

Black just played a Botez gambit, but he is offering $100 if you let him take your White Queen instead. Will you take the money and let Black Queen captures White Queen?

I don’t understand it. Shouldn’t the moves be without white queen? But in turn 34 the queen is used.

You can move White Queen. You just have to let Black Queen captures White Queen, which it did. :grin:

This is a common deflection tactic in chess, in order to pull/push opponent piece to where you want it.

1 Like

Luring a piece: Good tactic, but too advanced for my chess skills.

1 Like

This game marks the first time that I’m comfortable saying that it all went according to plan. Usually, I have no long term at all. In this game, I stubbornly cling to the central Knight, all the way to the end. I’m glad it went well.

This is the actual game. Nice mate, IMO.

But the game could totally have gone this way. I really like that NP vs R ending tactical battle!

1 Like

Whenever I have a plan I forget to look at the actual board, especially opponent’s threats to me. That’s how I lose my games…

1 Like

Oh, what a move 14 blunder! He could’ve resigned by move 30.

But hope springs eternal.

That’s Queen domination for sure!

1 Like

Knights vs Rooks. The Knights won.

That one just came out of nowhere! A double brilliant! Who needs rooks, anyway?

1 Like

My game with Zari, a Duolingo bot from chess.com.

It’s been a while since I use this opening. Definitely a strange bird, indeed.

The problem with this opening is that the King has a tendency to drift forward to the center of the board.

But that’s okay because I still win in the end. :laughing:

1 Like
  • Haha. I’ll take your Queen!
  • Uh, you wouldn’t be willing to trade your Queen with my Knight, would you?
  • Trade Rook with Bishop $50. Trade Queen with Knight $100. Trade both, $200. Deal?

• Computer says Mate in 14.
  • Ha, I can mate in 11!
  • How are you going to do that?
  • Do it all at once as premove!

BtM11 (premove)

Based on this game:

1 Like

Computer says mate in 25. I say White can mate in 15 (premove). In fact, that’s why I put the rook there!

Based on this game

1 Like

Long game, but I knew I’d win by this position.

From this game

WtM13 (premove)

It can be faster without premove.

1 Like

Speaking of bad IF puzzles makes me realize how I’m not at all good at solving them. I didn’t know that LOOK and LOOK AT are 2 different things.

In other news, I solved a mate in 4 problem like that! (snaps fingers)

BtM4

I sacrificed the Rook!

1 Like

Great! I figured it out partially. I didn’t see the queen double move. That’s a nice mate combo!

1 Like

Why is this +5, instead of +17? How should I know?

Based on this game:

Huh. I never thought I’d see that. Somehow promoting to Rook is better than promoting to Queen. Computers are just so undependable! Or maybe they’re baiting for cheaters?

1 Like

There are 3 candidate moves. 2 are mate in 7 according to computer. One is mate in 10 (premove) according to me. What will you do?

WtM10 (premove)

Is there a good, short online course to brush up on opening theory? I’m looking for something that’s not super in-depth, because I don’t have much time to study; but I’d like to get through some common variants without making a fool of myself. I’m okay as a tactical player, and I like doing tactical puzzles on Lichess.org, but opening theory is really my weak point. I’ve got a ‘parent-kid’ tournament coming up in eleven days at my son’s chess club, so it would be great to brush up at least a little. :sweat_smile: It would be nice to know in advance what I’ll do against 1. … c5 or 1. … e6, and so on, rather than ad lib everything. (I would probably ad lib 2. Nf3 and 2. d4.)

1 Like

Have you tried Chessable? Also, I like this guy:

But opening theory isn’t something to learn in a few days beyond 4 moves. I still make blunders from time to time. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I know! But four moves would be great. :smile:

1 Like