Beta release of Inform App for Linux

The interim “in the meantime” solution is a good one but isn’t a solution since inform7-ide for linux is in ß-testing, but, as implied by the ls output of gate-dojinshi, isn’t a bad idea doing separate compilation (provided that the editor is only one, of course… Kate can detect external changes to source code, but I don’t have dared to test if I7-ide for Linux can also detect external changes)

OTOH, the mechanism < binary >.real called by a < binary > shell script is very common in Linux distros and packages… so IS a viable solution, if ptomato prefer to kept nominally OS the calling mechanism he uses.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

FWIW, I’m getting a lot of these when quitting the running game, sometimes:

glk_stream_close: Attempted to close a window stream. Use glk_window_close() instead.

This may or may not be related to the recurring hangup on quitting the IDE, which is still happening (and doesn’t throw any errors).

I’m also getting occasional segfaults. These seem to be related to switching a project from Zcode to Glulx and back (which I am doing repeatedly for testing)

@ptomato , is the IDE prepared to deal with extensions with semantic version numbers, and with a public library that might have multiple versions of an extension with the same name?

1 Like

I agree with zed; considering the current I7 state re. the I7 in the current beta, perhaps is a good time for a new beta release ?

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

1 Like

Just popping by to say that I installed the .deb in x64 Linux Mint 20.1 and everything seems to be working just fine. Several small annoyances were fixed from the previous version (non-Roman font sizing consistency, slow pathfinding) seem to be fixed/improved. The project I’m working on compiles and runs as expected when I set the language version appropriately.

Apologies for asking a question that’s probably answered elsewhere: Does version 10 of the language change handling for the pronoun “it” in the source code? Trying to compile my existing project seems to treat my occasional use of it as a noun rather than a reference to the previously mentioned noun within the source. I get a few dozen errors, of which this is a typical sample:

In Volume Game World, Book Bar, Part On Stage, Chapter The Wonderful Melodeon:

Problem. You wrote ‘The description of it is “There it is, the diatonic button-f […] g [italic type]talent![roman type]”’ , but in another sentence ‘The description of it is “Enormous raindrops fall out of the […] ur melodeon safely inside![end if]”’ : but this looks like a contradiction, because the same property seems to be being set in each of these sentences, but with a different outcome.

1 Like

I don’t know of any documented changes involving “it”, but a lot of stuff changed under the hood, so I wouldn’t be surprised if something changed about how it figures out the antecedents of pronouns.

If you remove the contradiction, does it actually make an “it” thing?

1 Like

It really makes an “it” thing. Oops.

I’ll note that both of these forms work without of it.

Lab is a Room. "Foo.".
Lab is a Room. The description is "Foo.".

but making an it object smells like a bug to me.

Edited: and now it’s I7-2151.

3 Likes

Beat me to it! Thanks, Zed. Good time to clean up my code and make it more consistent anyway, especially since I don’t use “of it” very often.

1 Like

Is it just me, or is anyone else seeing an issue with documentation search results where the “Document” column is blank?

I can’t remember just at the moment what is the current state of the public library. The app handles the current public library site adequately, but I haven’t yet implemented any improvements beyond that.

1 Like

I cannot actually remember what the intention of this column was. If you use “Search in Files” to include the story text in the search, it’ll use that column to tell you where in the story the result was (e.g., “Story, line 37”)

news on the development ?

Do you plan a new beta or plan to go directly with the release ?

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

I fixed a couple of bugs in the meantime. If people prefer, I can create a new beta release, but it seems like the current beta has been mostly usable, barring a workaround for the apostrophe issue.

Otherwise, I will just wait until the compiler releases a stable version.

1 Like

For documentation searches in 6M62, that column is used to tell the chapter of the document (which is itself listed under “Type”) in which the search hit was found. For example, you might get the following combination of values in search results for “chimento”, with asterisks indicating bold text:

Result:     Philip *Chimento*. The main window is an opened
Document:   1.3 The facing pages
Type:       Writing with Inform
1 Like

On search, I have got from this very site’s search the bug reporting on I7 6M62 back when I fought its instability (leading to the freezing of I7 work until 10) and I remember another, apparently minor, issue I reported: the IDE was rather picky about themes and theme icons, in some cases not showing the menu bar, in other not showing some or all of the buttons (and the usefulness of an I7 ide without menus and the GO and Release button is, to put it mildly, a bit questionable, hence the “apparently minor”…

so, I suggest, why not test the compatibility with, X’s window managers) and themes, whose under Linux are myriad, from the ancient xwm and uwm of mid-80s vintage to the current Gnome 3 and KDE 5 and their ample variety of themes (for the record, I use MATE)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I couldn’t find a better place to report bugs (a note on that later).

I’m using the latest beta flatpak on Arch Linux (KDE Plasma 5) and I’ve come across a couple issues.

1. Closing the IDE removes all registered extensions. That is, if I close the IDE and open it again, I have to reinstall all extensions that my story uses.

2. Perhaps related, a previous project I did a few years ago had extensions in project-name.materials/Extension/*.i7x.. The Extensions directory does not exist. I’d expect imported extension files to be copied here.

2b) If I manually create the Extensions directory, I’d expect the extensions there to be automatically imported/loaded by the IDE, but they are not.

Back to not knowing where to report bugs, the README says “All bug reports are examined and acted on (and the app will show you how to post them),” which I took to mean that the IDE would have a button somewhere to open the issue tracker for the IDE itself, but I could not find one. If the note means posting bug reports for Inform itself, I didn’t see a button for that either.

I would have posted this using GitHub issues, but it seems that is disabled on the repository.

I really appreciate this project and the features it has, including the ability to try older versions of the compiler and the built-in glulx interpreter.

With a fresh build of v10 and inform7-ide from source, trying to compile a project whose source is “Lab is a room.” results in

Problem. An internal error has occurred: impossible construction. The error was detected at line 78 of "services/kinds-module/Chapter 2/Kinds.w". This should never happen, and I am now halting in abject failure.
What has happened here is that one of the checks Inform carries out internally, to see if it is working properly, has failed. There must be a bug in this copy of Inform. It may be worth checking whether you have the current, up-to-date version. If so, please report this problem via www.inform7.com/bugs.

As for fixing your source text to avoid this bug, the last thing you changed is probably the cause, if there is a simple cause. Your source text might in fact be wrong, and the problem might be occurring because Inform has failed to find a good way to say so. But even if your source text looks correct, there are probably rephrasings which would achieve the same effect.

In the same envirorment I can compile the same project on the command line.

$ inform/inform7/Tangled/inform7 -internal inform/inform7/Internal -external Inform/ --no-progress -project Inform/foo.inform
Inform 7 v10.1.0 has started.
I've now read your source text, which is 7 words long.
I've also read Basic Inform by Graham Nelson, which is 7691 words long.
I've also read English Language by Graham Nelson, which is 2328 words long.
I've also read Standard Rules by Graham Nelson, which is 32164 words long.

The 7-word source text has successfully been translated. There were 1 room
    and 1 thing.
Inform 7 has finished.

It looks like the kits aren’t being copied into /usr/local/share/inform7-ide/Inter.

Never mind, this was me being bit by the same dependence on rsync Nathanael reported.

1 Like

Where in the interface do you go to install something from the Public Library?

I thought I’d fixed this — since this message was some time ago, is it still a problem with the official release? (If not, does a folder “Inform” exist in your home directory?)

Imported extension files are for the whole app, not per-project, so they live in this “~/Inform” folder that I mentioned above. I think they get copied to the materials folder when you make a release including source, but I could be wrong about that.

Sorry about the confusion for where to report bugs. I had removed the “Report a Bug” menu item from the app while the old bug tracker was defunct and there wasn’t yet a new one, but now there is a new one and I’ve forgotten to put it back in. I’ll correct this in the next release. For now, if the above is still a problem, could you please report it at https://inform7.atlassian.net/jira/software/c/projects/I7/issues ?

1 Like