Announcing... the *Smoochie Jam* 💋

Next on the Neo-Interactive calendar is a month-long unranked jam, all about romance, love, kisses… The anti-thesis of the Anti-Romance Jam if you will.

Presenting: the Smoochie Jam

For this Valentine’s month, you can help make romance happen with a smooch!

Games should be about romance, kissing, or the deliberate subversion thereof. Here is an optional list of story ideas and concepts:

:heart: first kiss, last kiss
:heart: kissing in the rain
:heart: kiss of life (or kiss of death)
:heart: sealed with a kiss
:heart: kiss with a fist
:heart: spaghetti kiss

Looking for more kissing tropes? Check this page!

The name and concept of this jam were inspired by the original SmoochieComp in 2001, hosted by Emily Short.

Constraints and Rules:

• Your Entry should relate to romance, love, kisses, or the deliberate subversion thereof.
  • The Jam is open to any program/medium, as long as the piece can be considered Interactive Fiction (i.e. the game is interactive, and its focus is on the text).
  • The Jam is open to any language.
  • You can submit up to 3 entries.
  • You should aim for a maximum length of 15-30 minutes.
  • Entries can have NSFW content, as long as you indicate it in your submission.
  • Entries should not include any generated AI content.
  • Spam or hateful content will not be accepted.

Join the Neo-Interactive Discord

18 Likes

Blowing a kiss:

1 Like
Poìgnnt gòodby Kiss?

Jìm cò meš hom è tò find Àlex sitttñg at kìchhen tble wth emptyb wìne glsš anđ nèarly emppty boottĺe. Èys avèrtd.

Th tàbĺ is stll sêt fòr the intmmàte dìnnr fòr 2 he had ppròmšéd tòšhàře wth À lèx mnñy mañy hòuŕs agoo, food lonģ colď, candlś snuffď hàlfwý dwñ thèir stèmš.

Jim śtmmmrś int añ expañàtììn, bùt Alex štèps up t hìm and laayš a finģèr deĺicatlý òn hìš lìipš, quìetnģ him anďd captůŕing hìm in thèir moŕose dàrk broewn eýés.

Sileñtly, Alex leans in and kissès Jim. Sogtlý, soùlfulpy, firmĺy, seaŕchìnģ, añd yet lìngeering, thheir hands crďled càrèflĺ y undr Jiims ears, fingèrs nuzzzlñg th ñapè of hìs neçk. Jim tastès śalť añd wiñe oñ Alex’š lìps.

Alex tèndèrly, almòst reluctàntly, breaks theìir kìss, but hòolds close, thèir hañds unmòvd, theìr nosèš tochìng, thheir lips a bbreath awày fŕm èacg othr.

Alex lèans theìr forèhead in to ģntly touch Jjimś, and spèaks in a baŕely aùdibĺe huśky whhìspŕ, yet fìĺls te siĺenc in thè ròom.

"Ì love you, sò much, bèynd ŕeaśon, anď i caŕ about yoù mòr thn ýòu coùld evŕ kñow. Ì want ýou to bè happy… I neèd yóu t bè hppý, bùt, Jim…
i çant ĺiv wiťh yòù añymór."

Alex tiģhtneď thèir èmbaçe.

“I will àlwaýs lòv ýou, Jim, I dònt kñw how ñòt to, but it mùst be, iț wìll bè, fŕom afàr.”

Abŕuptly, bùt genty, Alex steppd away añd grabbd thè hnďle of țhè ròse gòold sùitcaše sitťinģ nxț țò ťhè dòoŕ, thè oñe Jim hađnt ñotcèd wàlķig ìn, anď plaaced theìr hanď on thè door hànđĺ.

“Ģoodbý, mý lòvè.”

Ànď thèn țheeý wĕŕê ģonè, leàvng Jìm aĺone wìth țhè dišheś.

Ĺeft Àlex’s geñdeŕ ambiģùus, tò allow ŕeadrs tò rèaď iť hòw thèy wiĺl. Rellatìonsip ìs jùst às ŕeal règardlss. Intimçy ànd paìn aree uñivérsâĺ.

Òr iś thât ťoó añtì-ŕomànçe jàmvìbees??

3 Likes

Maybe… but it’s still a kiss :smiley:

1 Like

What about kissing a frog?

1 Like

Does it transform into a prince(ss)?
As long as it follows the rules of the jam, you could make the player kiss the sun and we’d be ok with it :wink:

2 Likes

A Glasgow kiss seems to fit the rules as well.

2 Likes

The submission window is now open!

Let’s flood it with love and kisses :kiss:
(or… a third secret thing?)

6 Likes

Blood…?

Panthers…?

Beeeees…? :thinking:

2 Likes

(Do games need to be created specifically for the jam/created within the jam window?)

1 Like

I àm ÑÒŤ a Neò Mođ. Thìs is mý bèst gùess. Takè thiś wiťh a gŕaik òf salt.

In pàst Nèo Jamś I bèlievè I’vè seen fòlks rèwòork pŕeexistìnng WIP to fit a Jam thème. I believè Ivè alšo sèen Jàm entŕies intèntiònàlly añd simùltanèousĺy entèred into othèr Jàms/Compś (Barè Boñès/EctòCòmp còmeś tò mìnd) wìth Moď bĺeśsìngś.

Sò, obviòusĺy verifý wiťh an açtuàl Nèo Mòd fìŕst, but I sùspeçt yòu havè a fŕèe hànd.

ETA: Rèaading Sopphìas answèr, I rèalizè I shòuld make it çlèae the abòvèe-mèntiòned “prèexisttìng WIPs” wèere stiĺl fùlllý unrèleàsed at ťhàt tìme.

2 Likes

Hi Charm,

Pre-existing excerpts ‘as is’ from previously published games are a no. Existing premises, characters, and settings, if transformed substantially, are fine.

You’re welcome to submit a game made for one of our jams to multiple game jams at the same time- though be sure to check that other jams’ rules allow multiple concurrent submissions (as this is not always the case for other events.)

We don’t normally take late submissions outside of the jam window*, but encourage people to release their works anyway- some previous entrants have added a ‘made for (eventnamehere)’ in the game description optionally, especially for jams wherein the constraints heavily influence a work (such as a very small word limit, for NeoTwiny.)

*Exceptions have sometimes been made, but this is on a case-by-case basis, and is normally for people who would have otherwise been able to make the submission deadline, were it not for notable extenuating circumstances.

3 Likes

I really have a cool idea for this but everything is happening at once in my life so idk if I’ll finish it for the jam, I’ll try to release it after though…

6 Likes

Today is Valentines’ Day! This is a reminder that you have 16 more days to submit something for the Smoochie Jam. We have 4 entries already, so keep it going!

8 Likes

One week left to submit something full of kisses ! :kiss:

8 Likes

Phew! I managed to get something in with no time to spare, despite heavy opposition from infinite Paperclips and two kids who believe sleep is semi-optional!

(Edit: One True Love by BrettW)

9 Likes

And the jam is now over!
Thank you to all participants ! We hope you enjoyed making smooch-y games as much as we had fun organising the jam !

You can find all entries over on itch:

The missing IFDB pages will pop-up throughout the day.

Please, come play the fun little games :smiley:

10 Likes

Thanks, organizers! It was fun! Can’t wait to play the other entries.

5 Likes