Sorry for the late reply, I keep missing posts on this forum…
I don’t have any affiliation with Level 9, so I’m replying as “someone else”. As far as I understand it (no lawyer etc., but some background with legal terms), the Apache license allows you to distribute the files further (i.e., they’ve become freeware now) as well as modify them and distribute those modified versions, as long as you keep to the terms of the license by making clear the original author(s), your changes and the license terms. Your changes have to adhere to the same license, so you cannot forbid others to make additional changes and distribute those.
In addition, the License.txt file, which points to the Apache license, states that “This license applies to the specific implementation of the Level 9 Games, text and code”, which I take to mean that you are explicitely not allowed to apply those terms to any other Level 9 games or any other version of those games you find elsewhere.
What this means (given that I do understand everything correctly) is that the Jewels of Darkness trilogy, the Silicon Dreams trilogy, the Time and Magik trilogy, Knight Orc, Gnome Ranger, Lancelot and ScapeGhost are now basically open-source; and Billy the Kid, Ingrid’s Back and the never released Grange Murders (see Games That Weren’t, for instance) are Freeware in that you can distribute the specific versions included in the archive.
I don’t see any obstacles to extracting the game files of these titles and making them available anywhere else, as long as the license terms (see above) are observed. Since @MikeTheTechie is part of this thread, it would probably be a nice touch to ask him before taking that step.
There are still some Level 9 games that we are not allowed to distribute: The Archers, the two Adrian Mole games, Emerald Isle, The Saga of Erik the Viking and any I might have missed – but some others might be hidden in the archives, for example I’ve noticed there are at least some files from Champions of the Raj, but haven’t yet checked if they are complete.
I don’t expect the missing games to be added any time soon as that would entail clearing licenses: The Archers and the Adrian Mole books should be self-evident, Erik the Viking is based on the book by Terry Jones (at least not the film, which it would probably be impossible to get any rights back of) and Emerald Isle was written by Shaun D. Abbott, who was not a Level 9 employee (that last one I’m really not sure about, it might be easiest to pull into the archive).
This has become much longer than I intended, so I hope it helps!