2022 IFDB Awards are now open!

It’s Feb 1 in Japan, and I had time to open all the polls, so I’ve set it running on IFDB. The polls will remain open until Feb 17th. They may remain open during some part of Feb 18th as I close them down.

Good luck to all entrants, and thanks!

Rules can be found at IFDB or at the official announcement here.

Overall Polls:
Outstanding Game of the Year - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Game of the Year 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Debut of 2022 - Player’s Choice - an IFDB Poll
Outstanding Debut of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Game over 2 hours in 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Game over 2 hours in 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Short Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Short Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Underappreciated Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Underappreciated Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Most Sequel-worthy game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Most Sequel-worthy Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Feelies of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Feelies of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Trailblazer Award of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Trailblazer Award of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Worldbuilding of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Worldbuilding of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Use of Interactivity in 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Use of Interactivity in 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Retro Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Retro Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

Language-based Polls:
Outstanding German Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding German game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Spanish Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Spanish Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding French Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding French Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

Genre Polls:
Outstanding Fantasy Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Fantasy Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Horror Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Horror Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Humor Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Humor Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Mystery Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Mystery Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Science Fiction Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Science Fiction Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Slice of Life Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Slice of Life Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Surreal Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Surreal Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

System-based Polls:
Outstanding Inform 7 Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Inform 7 Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Inform 6 Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Inform 6 Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Adventuron Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Adventuron Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Twine Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Twine Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Choicescript Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Choicescript Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Adrift Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Adrift Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Game in a Custom System in 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Game in a Custom System in 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Game in an Uncommon System in 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Game in an Uncommon System in 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding PunyInform Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding PunyInform Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice
Outstanding Ink Game of 2022 - Player’s Choice
Outstanding Ink Game of 2022 - Author’s Choice

20 Likes

First votes are already in, but I just wanted to add that you don’t have to feel obligated to vote in every category. There are way too many right now, so this is a sort of survival of the fittest where categories no one votes in or cares about will die next year.

9 Likes

You can follow along with the voting here:

7 Likes

The search for “Outstanding Debut” is wrong. It links to “Published in 2022” again.

EDIT: I must be missing something. The list provided is “Published in 2022” for all categories, and we need to narrow it down further per category ourselves?

That would make sense. I have no idea how to make a search-command for some of the categories.

5 Likes

There wasn’t any search that I know of that goes to first time authors. If you know of a search that brings up whether someone is a first time author, we can add that, but otherwise people will just have to investigate it on their own.

Also, I noticed no game has more than one vote now, even though some polls have 11 votes. I think people are remembering the For Your Consideration polls where you couldn’t vote for the same game twice. But these polls definitely only work if you vote for games more than once!

6 Likes

Crikey what a lot of categories :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve started putting my votes in but will carry on another time. This is definitely a situation where pacing myself looks wise!

Thanks for setting this up @mathbrush

6 Likes

Thanks! And take your time, we have a couple of weeks!

6 Likes

Thanks for organizing this! Just a quick note, the Author’s Choice poll for sequel-worthy games isn’t anonymous.

7 Likes

Okay, I fixed it! I’ll transfer the votes from the old one to the new one. I can’t correct links in Site News on my own, so I’m leaving up the old poll with a note to use the new one, and fixed the link here on this page.

2 Likes

Cast a handful of votes, and added in some Twine games, as those are the ones I am most familiar with. Really fun! I’ll probably saunter on back periodically through voting to see if any other games catch my eye that didn’t immediately come to mind.

6 Likes

Sounds great! Especially with so many categories, feel free to take as long as you need.

3 Likes

I have votes almost half of the entries by now. Very awesome great work creating and implementing this 2022 IFDB awards!

• Jade.
3 Likes

I’m finding that I’m having to edit quite a few games I want to vote for in IFDB to add the relevant genre so they come up in the search results for specific categories. For anyone else who struggles to find the edit option for a game it is at the very bottom of the game page. Eg I’ve just been adding two games as mystery and fantasy. So folks should definitely not be afraid to add missing genres.

5 Likes

I didn’t plan with it in mind, but if games get tagged better in general with year, genre, system, etc. I think it will help a lot with just day to day IFDB searches.

9 Likes

I’ve been sharing the fact that these awards are seeking votes on Twitter, Mastodon and with my friends on Facebook and the UK IF group there. Definitely share the word out there folks! As I’m saying if people have enjoyed even one IF title released last year please vote :wink:

5 Likes

Also just shared on the interactivefiction subreddit.

3 Likes

I might be a bit thick, but what exactly is the difference between player’s choice and author’s choice?

3 Likes

Players choice is open to everyone and is public.
Author’s choice is anonymous and only voted from people who have games listed on their ifdb profile will count.

Part of this first awards tryout is to see if having that distinction is useful and makes sense. If it doesn’t, we’ll just combine them next year.

6 Likes

Should authors vote in both polls? As I read the rules we are allowed to but it feels a bit unfair.

3 Likes

I intended authors to vote in both polls.

Basically the public polls serve as a kind of faster voting that lets a lot of games get nominated but which is more vulnerable to gaming the system by groups of friends.

The anonymous polls require some verification and some experience so should result in more measured opinions. It should be hard for people to game the system as a group of friends would all have to have created games of their own to vote in a bloc.

It may be a bad idea, but that’s we are trying to see. So far I’m not really seeing the value in separate polls for next year, but it’s still early.

4 Likes