2022 IFDB Awards are now open!

Me too. At first I completely overlooked this problem with genres so I added a game I was sure belonged to that category. Others will probably do the same so perhaps for genres, the search-link in the poll should only be recommended? I don’t think a game being in the wrong genre poll will ever win that genre poll anyway. If it wins a genre category, it is most likely in the right category but not listed correctly.

2 Likes

This is probably rather difficult to change, but I wish games were allowed to have multiple genre categories. (E.g. I would say that Archivist and Revolution could count as science fiction, post-apocalyptic, or slice of life…)

4 Likes

It is possible. The searches will be right but sometimes when you click on a genre while looking at a game listing, it thinks that the genre constitutes one long genre name.

4 Likes

Up above someone asked about that, and it’s allowed right now. For instance, the game Wry has multiple genre categories.

Only genres on the IFDB list of genres that have at least 5 games in them have their own votes.

If you want to add multiple categories to your game, you can, as long as they are appropriate and actually describe the game.

(Edit: ninja’d by Denk, who is right)

4 Likes

I wonder how the voter base composition and number of voters will compare to the XYZZY awards. Did we ever know how many people voted in any of the XYZZYs?

4 Likes

I was just searching through past intfiction posts and didn’t see anything about numbers.

For these new awards, I’d say the main Best Game award is getting 15-25 voters, which is perfect for me, and the Twine award is similar. Several awards still have 0 votes, including Spanish and German games (which makes sense for an awards announced and written entirely in English).

Given recent ties in xyzzy awards, I assume they have less than 50 voters, but that’s just a guess.

Edit: Also, I found this old post by Zarf that basically contained all of the arguments he had about the ifdb awards, but years earlier. It was fun to read!
http://gameshelf.jmac.org/2016/04/if-awards-and-how-we-think-about-them/

7 Likes

I’ve announced the awards on the German forum, so hopefully some votes will accumulate before long.

People were a bit overwhelmed by the number of categories at first glance; and there’s the issue that the German roster consists entirely of Grand Prix entries, so there was a feeling that we’d probably just replicate the Grand Prix results. But I hope enough people get around to voting. And of course, if anyone reading this understands some German, feel free to play the games and vote – you can always ask for hints here or at https://if-forum.org/. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Are there more German games that aren’t already on IFDB to round out the roster?

Not that we know of, really; or rather, we stumbled upon two further games, but I contacted one of the authors, and he said that the story isn’t really finished and intended for release at the moment.
I haven’t asked the other author yet, not sure if his game is complete and if he’s aware of IFDB and our corner of the IF scene; I intend to contact him today or tomorrow.

2 Likes

This was really interesting. I especially liked the sentence: " The point of the XYZZYs, if there is a point, (:laughing:) is to discern what the IF community thinks is best in IF this year."

I guess “the point” is what we decide it to be. I personally hope that IFDB Awards will be quite different than the XYZZYs going forward, either the categories or the winners. I see intfiction.org as the all-embracing community whereas we can go to more specialized forums when we want such as CASA for old school parser games and Sub-Q for choice-based IF etc.

3 Likes