Ectocomp2024 is live!

Hi!

Ectocomp2024 is live! You can now proceed to join. (and start working in the games, if you have not already started ;))

As you may know, this year we pay tribute to 40th anniversary of Ghostbusters, with the fantastic keyart by artist, Daydreamy Crustacean.

Also, this year we have a huge change in how we organize the comp. This year we have only one itchio page with all languages in. This is a leap of faith and let’s hope itchio filters are up to the task at hand during the competition. Ideally, we would discriminate by filters to see the selected games, and this year we have 4 languages: English, Spanish, French, and German, plus “others”. So practically anyone can enter any game in any language, and we optimize for games with multiple languages on the same game page.

Finally, I want to thank IFTF staff for kindly moving the IFcomp schedule.

Also, @OlafNowacki for suggesting adding German to the comp, and kindly translate the rules. @smwhr for translating the rules to French and helping with the host in past editions. And overall to all the comminity that every year works to do this event something special.

Thanks a lot!

25 Likes

And a plea:

The website is still very fresh, please, report any bug, typo or forgetfulness, you can send any suggestion in a private message.

Also, I’m moving to a new house, living between crates and the cracks in the walls, so this year I have less time than ever, so all the help you can bring to mantain the comp, fill files at IFDB, keep a list of reviews, and such, will be very VERY welcome. Overall, I will limit myself to post something here and there at twitter, so feel free to use the hashtag ectocomp2024 and spread the word (better if it is within the community, I mean, I’m thinking in Mastodon, really, I have no time to go there right now). And of course, please, join in, participate, give feedback to authors, etc. Thanks in advance!

14 Likes

Someone of the community pointed that the use of generative AI in the La Petite Mort category would not be fair for the rest of humans participants. So, we have added a new rule that only applies to La petite mort:

“Generative AI is strictly forbidden for La Petite Mort. You know, this is designed to be a test for the human resilience. Machines have nothing to do with it!​”

Also, this point is under the rule for “what counts for the 4 hour limit”, that is… text and programming. That means that you can still use generative AI for the cover, but not for programming or text input.

And that’s it. For Le grand guignol it is allowed.

Thanks!

7 Likes

Does CSS/styling count as “code” for the 4-hour limit?

In past years, it specifically has not—we’ve been able to take our time styling things after writing the text.

2 Likes

My favourite IF competition! (Sorry, IFComp)

I’m not sure I will be able to take part this year, alas. But I might try a 4-hour game anyway… Surely by the end of October I can manage that. Right?

6 Likes

I decided to make it my first comp ever. Am I stressed? Yes. Am I excited and hyped? Also yes. See you all there.

6 Likes

It’s part of why I love ECTOCOMP—there are a lot of expectations around an IFComp entry, but the four-hour limit forces me to scope projects appropriately and not let that scope creep, and it keeps me from sinking hours and hours and hours of time into it.

This year I’m doing a Petite Mort entry with Ada and Sarah (from Labyrinthine Library) and a Grand Guignol entry with Anais (from Loose Ends) and I can’t wait!

6 Likes

I love Ectocomp! It is one of two comps I have entered. I am totally immersed in writing a game for PunyComp. I wonder if I could do two?

We will see. I’ll ponder whether or not I have the capability between now and Tuesday.

Thanks for organizing the Ecto again this year!!

I already have a seed idea. ;)__

6 Likes