Z-Machine undefined behavior

I’ll probably do it this way as well. The code is undergoing a major revision for better unicode support, this may help simplify it a bit.

That being said, my current code is a bit different to your first case (I forgot about it and I just noticed it re-reading the code): If the corresponding lower case character is not in the extra characters table, then the upper case character is not converted.

New rant:

It often bugs me how under-defined the z-machine stack is.

Clearly one can craft a story file that uses insane amounts of stack space. At what point is it no longer a valid story? 64KB? 128KB? More? I hate nebulous boundaries. Even fixing a value doesn’t really solve the problem because:

Since there are really two stacks (frame and eval), the answer can of course also vary depending on whether or not both use the same pool of memory, which is used more heavily, and even how many locals are used per frame.

This has always bugged me.

End of rant.

1 Like

Here’s one:
Using zero as the second operand (the parent) in a jin (IN?) instruction.

Legal or not?

1 Like

Since each object’s short name is prefixed by a length byte, that implies a zero length name is possible. It’s doubtful that many interpreters deal with this possibility.

Edit: Frotz seems to handle this just fine. Maybe others do and this is just something I hadn’t considered before. Oops, please disregard.

I’m not sure if this is ambiguous wording in the standard or just me being thickheaded, but do mouse clicks outside of a read_mouse/read/read_char still update the coordinates in the header extension table? 10.3.2 would seem to say yes, but to me 10.3.3 says no. I’ve always implemented it as ‘no’, but it’s not like there are a lot of mouse driven games to test on.

Whenever a mouse click takes place (and provided the header extension table exists and contains at least 2 words) the interpreter should update the coordinates as follows:

Word 1: x coordinate where click took place
Word 2: y coordinate where click took place

The mouse is presumed to have between 0 and 16 buttons. The state of these buttons can be read by the read_mouse opcode in Version 6. Otherwise, mouse clicks are treated as keyboard input codes (see below).

Speaking from a position of complete ignorance, I would imagine that the “right” behaviour is to update it immediately prior to delivering each input code representing a click, such that if the mouse is clicked multiple times before a read starts then the coordinates of each individual click can be read correctly provided that the input codes are read one at a time.

Another possible implementation is to completely ignore mouse clicks whenever there is not a read-in-progress, or to only deliver the latest one, but that seems more user-hostile to me.

By contrast, the read_mouse opcode returns a more “live” state, which requires a more complex realtime input loop but additionally supports tracking hovers and drags (which the standard does say should be possible).

Ignoring read_mouse, I’m not sure how useful updating the click coordinates outside of a read would be. You couldn’t be sure a click actually happened just by looking at the coordinates unless you also record the number of clicks.

I also don’t capture and buffer keystrokes made outside a read or read_char.

The actual coordinate update is not outside of a read. The mouse click itself might be.

The surrounding OS typically has some kind of event queue containing clicks and keypresses. These may occur asynchronously to whatever the VM is doing. The VM’s @read opcode is one of the ways these events get funneled into the VM, but that’s also potentially asynchronous (even though @read is blocking).

A player might type the word hello, but the VM running the story might happen to be reading a single character at a time and then doing some other processing before reading the next character. But it would still expect to receive the characters h e l l o in that order, without missing any just because the player happened to press the e key at an instant that the VM was doing something other than blocking on @read. Mouse clicks should be treated exactly the same way.

Granted, @read usually reads a line at a time, but it can be interrupted by a timer, and the keypress might happen during the intervening time. Or the story might be using @read_char instead, or specify a limited number of characters to @read.

So, in theory, a @read_char would block until there’s a mouse click, then write the coordinates and return the “mouse click” keycode. While some other processing happens, the user clicks again and this is put into some internal queue (or left in the OS’s input queue or something) without updating the coordinates, then when @read_char is issued again the internal queue is popped and it immediately updates the coordinates and returns the “click” key again. The second click shouldn’t have been discarded even though it technically occurred when no read is in progress – that will just frustrate the user. And in all cases it should see the coordinates of the click that it’s processing, not any future coordinates for a click it doesn’t know about yet. Keypresses “outside” of @read_char should work the same way.

@read would be similar, it’s just that there are fewer reasons you’d see intermediate clicks. Say the user clicks three times in three separate places before the timer interrupts the read, then the VM would receive three click codes (unless perhaps one or more are converted to a double-click code) but only the coordinates of the final click, since the first two were overwritten before the story saw them.

Again, this is just my non-terp-writing opinion, so you can take it with a grain of salt (and it wouldn’t surprise me if other terps had simpler behaviour); but it’s what seems to make sense to me, based on my understanding of usability and of the Z-Machine Standard.

1 Like

If you are capturing and buffering all key presses outside of a read, then it certainly would make sense to capture clicks as well. I have never implemented it that way though, and have never seen any frustrating behavior from it. I typically clear any remaining OS buffered input when a read starts. Time between reads is typically short enough that unless you know a game well enough to anticipate commands ahead of time and are playing on a particularly slow machine (or perhaps just mashing the keyboard), the lack of key capture between reads is not really noticeable. It also prevents an auto-repeated enter key from spam-finishing multiple reads.

It is from my perspective of not buffering in between reads that the language of the standard with regard to updating the coordinates seems ambiguous.

Here’s another: Do the coordinates get updated if, during a read, mouse-clicks are not in the terminating characters table? I would say no, since they should be ignored just like any other invalid input in that case.

True, with locally-executing code it can be hard to notice the effect at human-scale if you’re spending 99% of the time blocked in a read and only 1% of the time doing timer processing. But that still means that 1% of the time the player’s key/mouse input would get lost.

Construct a story that has a different balance of processing time (even if less realistic) to magnify the effect, and it becomes more obvious.

To use an analogy, I encountered a web app a while back where every individual keystroke in a form field is round-tripped to the server and then overwrites the text in the field. (Essentially, it was doing server-side validation.) When the app is running on the local machine and relatively idle, everything functions perfectly.

Load the local machine up with other processing work, though, or put it on a remote server instead (so you have network latency), and the cracks start showing. The user will type two characters in the time it takes to roundtrip one, and then their second character disappears. While not identical to the IFVM case, this is a logical extension of that kind of behaviour.

If mouse-clicks are in the terminating characters table, then that solves the “multiple clicks in one read” problem neatly. If they’re not, then things get tricky. Logically I would expect that it would update the coords for the last click made during the read and report the number of clicks (anywhere) as individual characters, as I said before.

This does break the dictionary parsing, but the raw text is still reported to the story, so it could detect the parsing failure, walk through the characters itself, strip out the clicks, then resubmit it for dictionary parsing (or for continued input, if the player didn’t press enter yet). It’s probably not the best way to handle mouse input (not least because there’s inherent latency when not interrupting the read on click) but it should theoretically work.

Perhaps another slightly more realistic case might be a story that wants fully real-time input, and so always uses @read_char and never @read. Perhaps it’s doing the parsing entirely itself, or perhaps it’s not even parser-based at all (although then probably the Z-Machine is not the right format to use).

Such a story would be alternating between sitting in @read_char waiting for input, doing some input processing and updating the world state because the player just pressed a key, or doing some background processing to update the state due to a timeout (perhaps some background animation, or it’s a real-time game and it has to update the enemy’s actions while the player isn’t doing anything).

The first two cases are obviously not problems – the player is very unlikely to press a second key in the time it takes to process the first key. Even fast typists just aren’t that fast. The third case, however, is where the problem occurs. You cannot possibly guarantee that the player won’t just happen to press a key an instant after the @read_char exits due to timer and before it starts the next one. The faster the processing time is, the less likely this is to occur, of course, but it can never be zero probability.

And this means a loss of input. In a parser game, the player might shrug it off and just hit the key again. In a real-time game, that might be the difference between making an attack or jump and not, and the player will swear loudly at the game’s poor input performance and possibly ragequit.

1 Like

Mouse clicks can not go into the input buffer of a read instruction. Only characters defined for both input and output can be there. If a click is not the terminating character, then it is ignored and the game has no way of knowing that it even happened, same as if you pressed a function key or any other input-only key that isn’t a terminating character.

Of course read_char can read any key so that does work.

1 Like

Ok, that simplifies @read a bit (although it seems a bit arbitrary, given that the transcript output is supposed to be able to include clicks). But if a click does happen to be in the terminating chars table, and it’s using @read with timer, then it can have the same problem as @read_char, so you still probably shouldn’t be throwing away input of keys or clicks just because there’s no read in progress right that instant.

I’ve been thinking about this a bit. At risk of drifting off topic, the fundamental issue is the z-machine doesn’t have a realtime keyboard instruction vis-a-vis read_mouse. This makes the z-machine a poor fit for keyboard driven action games (who knew?). The same behavior that can be problematic for action games (tossing away input outside a read) can also be necessary: Imagine a period of time where no input is expected, say a cutscene or intro (we’re really getting away from common z-machine tropes here). The last thing you’d want is to have a player clicking randomly in an effort to speed up or skip this and wind up inadvertently skipping who knows how many genuine inputs afterward, with coordinates being entered for clicks on things that weren’t even rendered yet. The closest you could come to realtime keyboard would be timed read_char with a tenth of a second timeout in a tight loop. Read is a poor fit for anything even approaching action game status. As a compromise, and again this is more interpreter implementation than z-machine design, is to buffer input outside read/read_char/read_mouse, but empty the buffer without processing when starting a read, or possibly when a read is terminated instead.

If the game truly doesn’t want input during this interval, it should read inputs and throw them away. This is what apps do in modern event-loop toolkits (which is essentially all of them).

The Z-machine is really already set up for this. If you wanted to do ASCII animation, you’d set up a timing loop that used @read_char with a short interval. (My Tetris demo did this.) Then you could either ignore the key input or use it to interrupt the animation.

Not really, clicks are placed in the transcript as terminating characters of a read (to distinguish from enter) and of course responses to read_char. it’s not really different than including timed input information and doesn’t have anything to do with their status as ‘input only’ characters.

True. In fact I was thinking of your Tetris when I mentioned using read_char with a short timeout to handle pseudo-realtime keyboard input.

So, input buffering choices aside, circling back to my original question regarding clicks:

Should mouse coordinates get updated directly when a physical mouse click happens, even if that click is destined to be ignored by a read, or do the coordinates only get updated when a click is processed as a valid terminating character for a read / read_char? My personal take is the latter.

Also, in a hypothetical game that never calls read or read_char and which only uses read_mouse, do the coordinates ever get updated in the extension header? I’ve always assumed: no.

read_char is basically the same as read_mouse. The distinction is just that read_mouse can never fail to read the mouse position (it does not have to wait for a click), while read_char can fail to read a keypress (as there simply may not be any pending).

In some regards it’d actually be easier to deal with read_char for animations because the timeout you specify directly produces the frame rate of your animation. But it’s likely that even a mouse-driven game is going to be checking for at least some input keys as well, so it’ll just call both. Something else the standard doesn’t seem entirely clear on is whether a mouse click code is delivered by read_char as well or not – but if it does, then that serves as a nice backup to guarantee not missing it via read_mouse alone. I would assume that it should.

It should get updated whenever the “mouse click” input code is delivered to the story, regardless of how that happened. Immediately prior to, and not at any other time.

I would assume no as well. It’s not necessary since read_mouse conveys the position anyway, and it doesn’t meet the condition of “update it when you deliver the mouse click input character”.

Having said that, the literal word of the standard is that the header is updated whenever a click occurs, so from that perspective it probably should. But I doubt anything cares.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, except I’d say read_char is not very much like read_mouse. It can kinda-sorta be, if you set a low timeout and squint at it really hard, but without a timeout it blocks. Even with a timeout, the highest precision you can get is 1/10 of a second. 10 FPS isn’t exactly stunning. It’s enough for some basic animation though.

Fun trivia: The longest timeout you can set for read or read_char is just over 1 hour 49 minutes. I wonder if anyone has made a game tick update at that rate? :upside_down_face: