Your recommendations for my next game to play

Hello all… some of you have seen me on here talking about working on my TADS game for awhile. I’ve spent so much time lately game-making that I’m getting an itch to actually play a game again.
What do you suggest for a game that’s:

1. parser-based
  2. neither a breeze nor excessively difficult
  3. on the short side: in my limited text-adventuring experience I seem to have always found (or sought) the long, drawn-out adventures. Those remain my favorite type, but with all that’s going on in my life right now, I don’t feel the leisure for a big immersion/crack-at-it-for-weeks-till-triumphing experience.
    So, I don’t know, 2-6 hours of playing time if you take time to read all of the descriptions and tinker with things?
  4. Any combination of well-written, well-implemented, ingenious concepts, or just high fun factor or charm factor.
    Thanks!
4 Likes

To Hell in a Hamper, Oppositely Opal, Violet, and Enlightenment are some of my favorites. They are contained one-room games each with a clever interlocking master-puzzle and moderate length.

4 Likes

There are so many possibilities, even with the criteria you provided. But here are three general suggestions:

1. Violet is a comedic one-room game with an unusual narrative voice.
  2. Lost Pig, also a short comedic adventure game with an unusual narrative voice.
  3. Alias ‘The Magpie’ is a short comedic (is there a pattern here?) game with great NPCs.

If you give us specific examples of games and/or genres you love it might be easier to give you more specific suggestions as well.

3 Likes

Agreed on To Hell in a Hamper. I was going to say that but I already had a J.J. Guest game in my list :). I haven’t played Enlightenment but the rest of those suggestions are great as well.

3 Likes

I think Renegade Brainwave fits your criteria and hasn’t received enough love on IFDB. Be sure to turn on the background music if you try it.

4 Likes
  • Brain Guzzlers From Beyond
  • Foo Foo
  • Robin & Orchid
  • Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
  • Taco Fiction
  • Make It Good
5 Likes

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! As I getting around to trying any of these, I’ll get back with you and let you know how it was! Looking forward to it…

3 Likes

I recommend checking out Ryan Veeder’s The Ascent of the Gothic Tower.

It’s charming, parser-based, short, and there’s some clever programming in it that surprised me.

4 Likes