"You can't see any such thing" Message

And you’re darn good at it, too, based on transcripts.

1 Like

Like any old fisherman, I won’t give away the secret of my lures. (I’ll just say: a bit of XYZZY-dust sprinkled over my person before I start testing always helps. I’m on a first name basis with the pixies.)

3 Likes

I had a good laugh at this. I think all (good) parser authors appreciate the pain.

1 Like

Adventuron does that and it can be a real pain. I think it gets messed up because it doesn’t really have any concept of scope. You can try doing something with an object that you haven’t encountered and it gives a sensible response, but then you can try doing something with an object that’s staring you in the face and it thinks you’re referring to another object with the same noun somewhere else in the game, even if you haven’t discovered the other item.

3 Likes

I think I’ve cracked it!

Nowhere
You are nowhere in particular. There is absolutely nothing here.

>x anything
You can't see any such thing.

6 Likes

Or alternatively:

[ Forest v0.7 ]
Forest is a room.

Any such thing is a backdrop. It is everywhere. The description is "Yup, you can see it alright. Clear as day."
8 Likes

The “Remembering” extension for I7 accomplishes this by tracking a “seen” status for every thing in the game, then having extra grammar lines for things like EXAMINE [any known thing], TAKE [any known thing], etc which redirect to a “remembering” action (“The teapot isn’t here, it’s back in the kitchen”).

A better solution would be to embed this in the parser itself. But…

This is the problem. It’s very difficult, with the parser as currently structured, to recognize out-of-scope objects only if no in-scope objects match.

2 Likes