XYZZY Awards 2021, first round

Voting for the 2021 XYZZY Awards is now underway. (Much, much later than it should have been, I know.) Voting for the first round will be open through December 3.

http://xyzzyawards.org/?p=570

15 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up!

I voted for Best Game, Best Writing, Best Story, Best Setting, and Best Puzzles.

Iā€™ll have to return for the ā€œBest Individual ā€¦ā€ categories later. Iā€™ll shake my memory awake by looking at the gamesā€™ IFDB pages first.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s this thread : https://intfiction.org/t/unofficial-polls-and-discussion-for-the-2021-xyzzy-awards-including-tech-development from way back that includes links to the IFDB polls thatā€™s also worth taking a new look at.

7 Likes

Yay, exciting!

@mathbrush set up a bunch of IFDB polls earlier in the year to help folks brainstorm possible nominations ā€“ just sharing these as an efficient way for folks to refresh their memories, Iā€™m sure there are great potential winners not on these lists too!

Hereā€™s the thread, which includes discussion of the best tech award, and hereā€™s a link to the set of polls themselves.

EDIT: ninjaā€™d!

8 Likes

Iā€™m having trouble with names of PCs and NPCs because itā€™s been so long since Iā€™ve played the games, and Iā€™m terrible with names anyway. I looked at Brianā€™s polls, but those donā€™t contain any names. I guess I have to go back to each game and relook at names?

Oh, I just remembered one standout: Aidan from The Best Man. But thatā€™s probably only because there were whole threads about him.

6 Likes

It was fun scrolling through the list of games and going, oh yeah, that game, that game was good, and oh I remember that one, I should nominate that one! Is it possible to be nostalgic for literally just a year ago?

8 Likes

2021 was at least five years ago and you cannot convince me otherwise.

13 Likes

Aiden Tunney, if you want a full name.

Because I totally remembered that off the top of my head and didnā€™t just click through the game trying to find itā€¦

Also spent far too long wondering what it says about both me and Stephen Bondā€™s marketting ability that my obvious candidate for ā€˜Best PCā€™ is the ā€˜Best Manā€™ā€¦

How could it be five years ago when itā€™s still 2021 now? Right?

5 Likes

What was the name of the PC is And then You Comeā€¦ was it Em?

4 Likes

Yes, short for Emerson iirc

4 Likes

Just voted!

Looking through those IFDB polls I made, I seeded them with some random thoughts and others added more later, but on some polls, most of the entries are my initial ones. Please feel free to add more or to remind people about other games you are voting for! For instance (re the discussion above), the doctor PC in The Weight of a Soul is named Marid.

4 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™ve been struggling a lot remembering the Spring Thing '21 details (not a surprise I guess, since it was a year and a half ago) so this should be a huge help.

3 Likes

Iā€™m getting two choices in every category, is that intentional? I seem to not remember this from earlier years.

2 Likes

I believe they added it last year or the year before, to give people some more flexibility.

2 Likes

Good you posted something in this thread. Reminded me I still have to check @mathbrushā€™ polls for all the "Individual ā€¦ " categories.

2 Likes