Writing Struggles

Um… I’m enthusiastically nodding along my agreement to the first part of the sentence, and then everything after the comma doesn’t parse.

>X EVERYTHING
“Sure! Fun!”
>X SOME MORE
“Yaay! We’re on a roll here!”
>X PARTS OF OBJECTS
“Woohoo! Ittybitty details!”
>X SUBPARTS OF ITTYBITTY DETAILS
“Wait, let’s just get the magnifying glass…”

Although this has become somewhat less prevalent in modern, more narrative-driven games, examining everything is still the core business of parser games. If you get tired of typing X fifteen times in a row in a single room, well… That’s kinda what parser games are for…

(Actually, old and retro parsers also don’t require much examining, since the objects are often described fully in the room description, without further detail in X. So my response is at least partly inspired by my personal preference for games from the late 90s until about 2010.)

4 Likes

Oh! I mean it gets tiring when half of the things I try to X don’t register :smiley: When it’s like “There’s nothing like that in this room” or something to that effect.

I love it when the game does respond. It’s cool to see everything in the in-game world described. Adds to the immersion.

6 Likes

Throne Room
You enter the Throne Room. In the middle of the throne room is a magnificent pearl-inlaid throne. The throne stands on a gold-and-marble pedestal. Behind the throne are thick-woven decorative curtains. On the throne a sceptre and a crown lie abandoned.

>X THRONE
You can’t see any such thing.

11 Likes

Hey Juuves,

I’m not a writer, but I’m working on my first game in the IF medium so take this advice with a grain of sand salt. :wink:

There’s a great 3-part series on writing that I encourage you to read. You might fit the profile of the author or you might not… but for me, it hit all the right notes. (The series focuses on clear and concise writing.)

The biggest takeaway for me was… having something to say. (Also, there is a benefit to writing terse, effective IF for some stories so maybe that series of links is more relevant than I had anticipated.)

Writing is so much easier when you actually have something to say. The ideas flow. Every sentence has purpose. You don’t lose focus. You support your claim/story with stronger arguments/direction. So I guess, ask yourself, what am I trying to say with my story?

Being able to write your story’s theme in a succinct sentence is invaluable. A developed theme can really keep you on track. Some themes are tried and true (moral truths and such)… and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with treading over a well worn path.

As a side note, I’ve never liked reading. Actually (let me rephrase that), I don’t like reading books. I never could keep the little picture in my brain going. I always felt like I was studying for a test. I hated books… until I found Isaac Asimov. I enjoy reading his short stories because he has something to say in each of them. I especially like his stories because he doesn’t focus on people and relationships. He writes about ideas that encourage reflection and deep contemplation… and the characters really only exist to support those ideas. Ask yourself, what kind of writer are you?

5 Likes

Bit of a tangent, but upon the recommendation of friend, I’ve recently starting reading The Blindsight by Peter Watts. It really evokes Asimov in a tangible way while still being its own thing. If you enjoy Asimov’s idea-centric writing, I would recommend giving it a try.

Now back to writing advice:

3 Likes

Thank you for the links! They were very helpful. :smiley:

2 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Arguing Syntax

@tundish
I understand what you mean, and thank you. :slightly_smiling_face: I feel that I’m capable, but I’m just not quite there yet. However, the encouragement is not wasted on me. Thanks!

Something I was thinking about recently, that might help Juuves’ writing struggles (if they haven’t been already conquered), is a philosophy on creativity. For a long time, I’ve seen the effect limitations have had on creative solutions and expression… and I see how it was the constraints that forced the most creative results. I wonder if putting self-imposed limitations on our own projects might elicit more ingenuity and originality.

For example, I’ve always thought that my first IF might be a sci-fi story about a pilot adrift in space within a single cockpit, damaged star-fighter and a depleting life support system… and that’s where the story happens. There’s no other locations, no other characters, just you. I wonder what kind of story I could craft given such a limited environment and time frame. I’d really need to make my intent with the story crystal clear in my mind before I put keyboard to word processor, but I’d like to think that I would be able to say something unique and worthwhile given such a limited story scope.

I think that’s the heart of those IF game jams and such, where they pick a certain criteria (a specific set of limitations to work within) to get people thinking creatively.

Anyway, just something I was thinking about. Self-imposed limitations… cultivating creativity.

Damn, just writing out my idea for the first time is inspiring me. You’re all such good listeners. :wink:

Edit: Oh, I forgot that this post pertains to a great book for developing story plots.

5 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Arguing Syntax