Windows Error 'BING' Sound - Accepting Single Inputs

Include Version 5 of Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short.

Keypress is an indexed text variable.

To get char input:
	let keychar be the chosen letter;
	now keypress is keychar resolved to an indexed text;

To decide which indexed text is (N - a number) resolved to an/-- indexed text:
	if (N > 31 and N < 127) or (N > 160 and N < 384):[i.e., we have received printable input]
		decide on "[char-code (N)]";
	otherwise:
		decide on "".

To say char-code (N - a number):
   (- print (char) {N}; -)

To advance the screen:
	say "[paragraph break]Press 'c' to continue.";
	now keypress is "";
	let still_waiting be true;
	while still_waiting is true:  [BING!]
		[get char input;]
		if keypress is "c" or keypress is "C", now still_waiting is false;
	clear the screen;
	say "[line break]";

I use this ā€˜advance the screenā€™ functionality across many projects, and Iā€™m ashamed to say that for a long time Iā€™ve been ignoring the constant ā€˜bingā€™ noise that it causes.

It seems that whenever you press a keystroke while i7 is ā€˜processingā€™, it causes a Windows notification error-type sound to play. The above code invokes this behavior because it relies on a ā€˜whileā€™ loop, which is interrupted by key presses. Does anyone know of a workaround or fix for this issue?

The intention of the code is to react immediately to a keypress, without the ā€˜ENTERā€™ key being pressed. Aside from using this for clearing the screen (frequently), I also use this for timed player responses, where there are multiple letter choices presented. What Iā€™m getting at, is that I am MARRIED to this functionality. I really need to find a way to make it work.

The ideal solution would be to read inputs directly, one-by-one, without an infinite loop behavior occurring on the i7 layer. Perhaps this is something that can be more easily accomplished with i6?

Include Version 5 of Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short.

Keychar is a number variable.
Keypress is an indexed text variable.

To get char input:
	now keychar is the chosen letter;
	now keypress is keychar resolved to an indexed text;

To decide which indexed text is (N - a number) resolved to an/-- indexed text:
	if (N > 31 and N < 127) or (N > 160 and N < 384):[i.e., we have received printable input]
		decide on "[char-code (N)]";
	otherwise:
		decide on "".

To say char-code (N - a number):
   (- print (char) {N}; -)

To advance the screen:
	wait for the C key;
	clear the screen;
	say "[line break]";

To wait for the/-- C key:
	(- CPause(); -).

Include (-

[ CPause i;
	while (i ~= 67 or 99)
	{
		i = VM_KeyChar();	
	}
];

-).

Iā€™ve pulled some code from Version 5 of Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short.
This is fundamentally the same thing as before, but now the while loop exists solely in the i6 code. Iā€™m still hearing the same ā€˜BINGā€™ sound whenever I input a keypress.

EDIT: Let me know if this is more appropriate in the i6 section. Iā€™m not sure what exactly is causing the issue.

EDIT: Iā€™ve come to understand that this sound is known as the ā€˜asteriskā€™ sound, and is related to the Windows operating system.

The way youā€™re handling keystroke input isnā€™t wrong as far as I can see. Itā€™s important to remember that the chosen letter phrase blocks and waits for the next keystroke. So there shouldnā€™t be any point when I7 is ā€œprocessingā€. Itā€™s always waiting for your next keystroke.

(Of course, in your first sample, you have the line ā€œget char inputā€ commented out. That is an infinite loop; donā€™t do thatā€¦)

You can simplify your code somewhat without going to the I6 level. This works fine, at least for me:

To advance the screen:
	let still_waiting be true;
	while still_waiting is true:
		let keypress be the chosen letter;
		if keypress is 67 or keypress is 99, now still_waiting is false;
	clear the screen;
	say "[line break]";

Iā€™ve dropped the conversion to indexed text; itā€™s not necessary. The chosen letter phrase returns a number which is an ASCII code, and you already know how to check that for upper and lower case C.

If you look into the Basic Screen Effects source, youā€™ll see a phrase wait for the SPACE key which is essentially identical to your I6 version. (Possibly you got yours from there!)

[ SPACEPause i;
	while (i ~= 13 or 31 or 32)
	{
		i = VM_KeyChar();	
	}
];

Thank you for the simplification. I definitely took my code from Basic Screen Effects, and also a few forum posts probably. Iā€™m starting to think that this block isnā€™t causing the issue at all, but that the issue is being set up BEFORE certain moments where I call ā€˜advance the screenā€™. Iā€™m turning my suspicion toward other frequently used functions.

I assume that this is in the Windows Inform 7 front-end, and not some other interpreter? You donā€™t say, but thatā€™s what is implied.

Anyway, there was an issue in the Windows Inform 7 front-end that caused spurious error signals on character input. It is fixed, but only in the latest betas from the development page, Release Inform7 6M62 Win64 beta 3 Ā· DavidKinder/Windows-Inform7 Ā· GitHub

If youā€™ve got a 64-bit Windows 10 install (which is nearly everyone these days) then install that version and see if the problem is dealt with.

1 Like

This worked! You have no idea how happy this makes me! Iā€™ve been suffering that noise for the better part of a decade, too lazy to chase down a solution. Thank you so much!

I should mention that Iā€™m on Windows 8.1, but everything seems to work just fine. Hallelujah!

1 Like

Good to hear it works, and on Windows 8.1 too. It should work on Windows as far back as 7, but Iā€™ve now no way to test that.