Why don't more games have devious serial killer plots?

Thanks for the link. (I don’t know Potter though – sorry. Not that its structure is surprising at all.)

I agree with the complaints about plot coupons insofar as they need to be better disguised to avoid exposing the gears too obviously that turn the plot (if, unlike in Tristram Shandy, that is your goal – and interesting that you should mention it as I just saw the Steve Coogan movie based on the book: brilliant adaptation, that). I don’t actually think ‘plot coupons’ can be avoided entirely in IF unless there aren’t any win conditions. The whole enterprise is about collecting changes in bits of text until win or ending conditions have been met. The less it feels like what it is, though, generally, the better the magic. Exceptions include games that don’t take themselves very seriously: the cost of baring the mechanics is much less, then. And it can be grist for the humour mill.

Paul.

Off-topic answers to off-topic rant:

[rant]And what about the True Story of Lucian? From the opening paragraph:

Among my favourite lines are these, describing a conversation between Lucian and Homer, whom he has met on the Isle of the Blessed:

Writers were already making fun of literary critics in the second century!

By the way, I’ve never openend Tristram Shandy. (I’m wondering whether your statement about it might not be a little anglo-centric?)[/rant]

Ha, you have me there, as I’m not at all familiar with Lucian and am surely being a bit anglo-centric. I should amend my statement to “People should be forbidden from making sweeping statements about the history of fiction that are falsified by the merest glance at Tristram Shandy.” (Which I’ve never actually finished.)

While not being in thrall to a serial killer the way that you’ll find in Heavy Rain and Andy Phillip’s Enemies (surprised no one brought it up), I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream kinda sorta qualifies.

And if it doesn’t, what the heck. Still a great game.

Oh, absolutely. I have all kinds of fun with plot coupon games. (I actually think your linked article is kind of mean about “exploitation fiction” : it takes a lot of work to write good bad fiction. I didn’t finish it because I waded chest-deep into the pretention and then couldn’t feel my legs anymore.)

It’s actually worse for me, because you have the more-or-less inevitable “but the prophecy meant something more than was initially implied!” bits. So in Act III, we’ll discover that the dragon that will eat the children of man isn’t actually a dragon, it’s the hero’s creme brulee torch, and the children of man aren’t actually kids but a library (ideas being the things left behind by people when they die). Blah blah blah it’s so dumb to believe or pay attention to prophecy. Until next book! I hate this.

It’s also less “let’s kick this story off” than “let’s explain why the protagonists have to do dumb shit and angst about their impending deaths which totally aren’t going to happen”. At least the serial murder thing has some energy to it, making it easier to suspend my disbelief.