Where will the little match girl travel on her next adventure?

I know at least one person from Ryan’s Patreon was able to solve enough of the puzzles to complete the meta-puzzle. (I think? I’m assuming there’s a meta-puzzle.) I’ve been too swamped with work to give it a serious try myself, but just watching the coordination in this thread is enough for me.

1 Like

For 9:

Yeah, that’s where I got too. I think the Es might be the “teeth”, since if you flip a capital E on the side it sorta looks like teeth? You could make a case for Bs instead/as well, since again if they turn sideways you get a tooth-like shape. But without Ghost Train hard to know for sure.

1 Like

Hmm. Nothing too helpful in patreon comments or on the discord. One person did say of Ghost Train I found #5 particularly satisfying. Got to mess around in an image editor.

2 Likes

As you say, that’s not much help. Basically just confirms that some sort of shuffling or rotating of the grid will be required.

It occurred to me that the roman numerals run from 1 to 20 so they could encode letters? Naively, that gets you HLATK which of course is nonsense, but could be those are like starting points in the grid from which to do… something?

I was wondering about starting points on the grid. But it’s 5x9 so 21 is less than half-way through, which seems odd. The numbers add up to 52, so if you count through the letters in order you go off the end. The text is about fortune telling, and “Any kind of reading you could give me would be helpful.” Hmm. There are 21 cards in the Major Arcana of a usual Tarot deck, aren’t there? But that’s probably way too complicated of a thing to read into this. Strength, The Hanged Man, The Magician, Judgement, and Justice.

I don’t know. I feel like the other ones were much clearer, and the text was a reasonable indication of what to do, and I feel like this one has none of that. I almost wonder if this is some well-known form of word puzzle that we’re expected to recognize? But it’s impossible to search for.

Doh! My phone was in another room, so I skipped the QR Code. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

You can check if your answers are correct by treating them like the answers to the initial clues.

1 Like

OK, so I asked on the discord, and Ghost Train isn’t a word puzzle, it’s an ARG puzzle. And I was on the right track with the tarot thing and the image editing comment was absolutely relevant. Ugh. I’m sorry, but unmarked ARG puzzles are absolutely my most hated kind of puzzle design and I don’t think I can even be bothered to finish solving it now that I know how. Oh well. At least some of the others were fun.

2 Likes

No, you know what? I was close enough, I went ahead and finished, especially since I realized that the solution above for #8 was wrong. Well, incomplete. The solution for #5 Ghost Train is a little hard to be sure you’re reading accurately but it turns out that 5-8 are all colors: green blue black white and then for the final puzzle you mark the given letters in the given colors to get the final answer: the flag of Finland.

1 Like

@malacostraca Does this count as solving the whole thing, or do they have to find the prize?

1 Like

Well, they say it’s about the journey, not the destination, but this time I daresay it’s both.

1 Like

Prize? Meaning the game? I didn’t think I should link that…

2 Likes

Oh that’s probably wise. But it’s good to have confirmation!

Congratulations!!!

1 Like

Although tbf last night I had just assumed that was at the link: I hadn’t checked to see that was what was there until just now. And I haven’t gotten around to playing the previous two yet, so I wasn’t planning to play this one, and I don’t really care about puzzle solution confirmations: if I can’t tell that I have the right answer to a puzzle without outside support, it’s bad puzzle design (for me), so I hadn’t checked for that reason either.

3 Likes