What's one positive/neutral thing that's happened today?

I’ve been having a really hard time, as of late. It helps, listening to music, sometimes. Autoheart wasn’t quite scratching the itch, which was unusual: but I put on some of Jackson C. Frank’s songs, (this one is my favourite) and they’re comforting.

5 Likes

You’re very welcome! Playing Dol-OS, breaking my head over the first password and finally solving it was a highlight of my day too. And then I was rewarded by Théophile’s long and intruiging Journal. Gave me more of the creeps with every page…

I’ll be resuming play later today. I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

3 Likes

Freshly inked up my Lamy Safari. Fingers faintly blue stained. Feels good to have it all loaded and ready to go!

7 Likes

Got a bunch of mechanics implemented into my SpringThing game, while a friend is helping me review them for logic.

The game is aiming for a play style similar to Duskers, where there is randomness, and the stakes are high, but you still have the ability to gather the necessary information to survive. You just need to be very careful.

So while I’m trying to be a silly scary goose about stuff, my friend is helping me figure out how a player might survive it as a puzzle, and always have a logical way through.

The primary design goal for this game is that randomness should not be what kills you. Randomness might make things interesting, but if you die it should be entirely your own fault. It will never be “the cards weren’t in my favor”, but instead “I could have handled this differently”.

This is also why I’m not locking out the UNDO command. By letting the player continue to have access to this command, I am proving that the game will not have a different outcome after you retry the same actions, and that it really is down to how you handled the situation.

I predict the number one killer in this game will be getting distracted by anxiety or tunnel vision, and forgetting your own safety protocols. Again, just like in most parsers, you have the option to UNDO, figure out where your mistake was, and try again.

80% of the time, though, you also have the ability to roll out of your mistake and avoid certain doom, once things have catastrophically gotten out of control, so you won’t likely need to use UNDO, unless you’re aiming for an absolute perfect run. However, as things get worse, your options for survival are slowly removed, so it’s best to keep things stable as much as you can.

Honestly, I’m really excited to show you all what I’ve been working on!! It’s shaping up way better than I thought it would!

8 Likes

I think this is my first message on here. Anyway, on the negative side (you’ll see why!) I chipped the big toenail on the right hand side (like, 1/4 of it has come off, kinda weird) while playing basketball (okay, barefoot…) But it’s now not so bad. But it also made me look at the world in a different way. (I’m not sure if it’s correlated or just random, but now not everything is about my game.)

On that note, I had to switch to a very different version of ZIL to complete my latest game about a month ago, and it was a bit weird, and thanks to @AndyG , it’s looking good! (For those who know ZIL, changing V6 to V5 with the new-parser was a bit of a nuisance, with movement directions going wrong, saying “There was no verb in that sentence” or just going “up”…)

6 Likes

Sounds like you’re really getting your WIP closer and closer to its ideal shape. Looking forward to it.

5 Likes

Sneak peak of something I spent way too many hours implementing tonight:

The doors close automatically (like business doors do). The player and antagonist both have a system that tracks expectations and schedules for environment changes (based on what has been witnessed by either character).

As long as you’re within earshot of a door that slammed closed without you opening it, or a door mysteriously didn’t slam closed during the turn where it should have, the player will have a line appear which says “hmm… Did you open that office door earlier?” or “Hey, wasn’t the lab door supposed to close itself by now…?”

You can also silently close doors after you open them, to ensure stealth. However, if you were not the one who opened the door you slipped through, let it close by itself, because the antagonist is timing it!!

Just little things to keep the player on edge!

I’m so exhausted lol.

I’m only comfortable sharing this because this subsystem is totally done. Come Hell or High Water, this will be in the game.

8 Likes

Your game sounds wonderful. I’m looking forward to playing it in the Spring.

3 Likes

Just got a new black hoodie to replace the dark green one my ex-girlfriend latched onto and kept. It fits me perfectly.

<runway walks, serving the couture>

9 Likes

Another French Stream today, and we played DOL-OS :smiley: this was fun. Got some lovely feedback from people too!

EDIT: another good thing! I finished recoding my Space Trucker game. Onto adding new content :smiley:

3 Likes

I have been playing Hogwarts Legacy on my PC off and on for the last day. It is an incredible game. You are an active participant. It is SO realistic.

I’m still spending the better part of my time on my Punyjam entry.

1 Like

I picked up a few odds and ends recently, and I really like how the baby pink butterflies on tiny golden hoops look with the golden butterfly necklace I also snagged. They’re clip ons, so hemophiliac safe, but they look pretty legit!

7 Likes

Oh man. We’re closing in on 600!

Two small nice things came together in the past 24 hours. I’ve known about gutenberg.org for a long time, and I hope you all have, too.

But archive.org also lets you check out some books. And I was clearing out my Firefox tabs (they were in 3 digits) and noticed something from 2 years ago. It was a link to an optional textbook from a college class where I’d hoped to do better but never quite did.

When I’d first checked the link, you could check it out for an hour. Or that’s how I remember it. So that distracted me, because I’d have to keep checking it out a few times, as it was 300 pages. So because of the small re-checkout nuisance, I put it off.

When I checked it out yesterday, there was an option to check it out for 14 days. I don’t know when this popped up or if I missed it originally.

This greased the skids for me to read through it. A lot of the stuff, I’d learned in the meantime. Some, I hadn’t. It was quite worthwhile and nice to have one more thing from the past to check off.

6 Likes

Went to my parents’ house & fiddled with their washer - my mom saw the error code, correctly looked up the website and diagnosed it, read the steps to fix it, and then, for vague reasons, didn’t want to do it herself without somebody around for basically emotional support, so I did that and it worked! The error-fixing process was:

1. Unplug it
  2. Hold down the start/pause button for five seconds
  3. Plug it back in

so uuuuh, no reason she couldn’t do it herself, she just didn’t want to. Anyways, had dinner with my parents afterwards, it was nice.

10 Likes

The machines can smell uncertainty.

Recently got back in contact with a close friend. :grin: There’s been a lot of catching-up!!

Also I ran outta meds and there’s a logistical holdup preventing a refill. However: I’m a skilled coder both on and off meds!! (It’s just everything else that gets disabling without them!)

The show must go on!!

7 Likes

17 pages written by hand for my SpringThing game. Yay! And now I’m all comfy and cozy in my little bed, having freshly refilled my pen and washed my hands with a new bar of soap, with crayons and a colouring book in my backpack to relax and unwind after class tomorrow. And then- happy day, it’ll be Friday! And then into the weekend, with the Goncharov pals and Sunday’s rest to look forward to. And soon, study week!

7 Likes

Funnily enough, I also have a mom-and-laundry-error-code thing! My mom was visiting us recently and noticed an error code on our dryer, then looked it up and told us it meant lint was occluding 80% of the exhaust vent. So now we’re out a couple hundred bucks but are much less likely to burn down the house when doing the very large number of laundry loads you have to do when you have a toddler, which I think nets out to being positive.

6 Likes

Add to that the large masses of combustibles contained in said toddler’s laundry “loads”, and I think you’ve narrowly escaped a fiery death.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, it looks like the house internet might be down over the weekend. Hotspotting for now, but who knows if it’ll last! On the other hand, maybe this will finally prod me to begin coding my SpringThing game. Also, I painted my nails with plenty of goopy layers of the periwinkle sheeny nail polish, and the fine sparkly glitters in soft pink really pop off of the darker background compared to the warmer purpleypink I had them painted before. It kind of reminds me of druzy geodes.

7 Likes

This is a HotSpot… :wink:

I hope they get your network up quickly. They just re-buried our line and it hasn’t gone out this week. Before that it was a pain.

Now back to my Puny game. :slight_smile:

PS. Is there a prize for being 600?

4 Likes