What's one positive/neutral thing that's happened today?

Not happened yet, my appointment is in 2 hours.

I got an urgent telephone call yesterday from the Red Cross. They told me they were very low on blood plasma, and asked if I could come in for a donation. Maybe there have been a lot of accidents with January celebrations and icy roads and stuff? It’s bad enough to be calling their list of donors personally.

I try to give blood around six times a year. I like it. I get to lie down in silence for half an hour, and I get a comic book and a soda afterward.
I also think of it as a moral obligation. A small effort and a bit of time on my part can help save lives and further research into vaccines.

If you can, donate blood. Really.

11 Likes

I happen to be O-, so I’m pretty familiar with the hero vampires encouraging me to donate. I do donate, but I’m a pig afterwards because I get lightheaded. I’ve taken to bringing my own snack to avoid embarrassing myself with sucking down multiple little cartons of OJ.

11 Likes

Those in the lounge chat will know, but I picked up the cutest little fluffy round headed little teddybear guy from the shops today, since they had their Valentines display up already. I also snagged a nail polish colour I haven’t seen in a awhile, it’s pink- a sort of pink mauve, cool toned- the formula dries super fast and its fairly opaque, so I’m quite happy. Plus, some art supplies with a soft pencil case for an assignment for my Physiology course, and some stickers to decorate my journal with since they had a cute puppy and kitty motif, and some gum in my favourite flavours. The cashier was very sweet- she gave me a bit of a discount on the most expensive item of the lot, which was a pleasant surprise to discover when I was ticking through my receipt at the door.

I’m also having a nice hot chocolate, since, uh, I was sent back downtown with four cans of it. Good thing I plough through the stuff like nobody’s business.

7 Likes

----sssshhhsshh---- Do not speak of our privilege, the plebeian masses might get restless. Quick, toss some bread into their grubby needy hands while we enjoy the spectacle with @HanonO’s specialty cocktail in hand.

7 Likes

Yeah, had a great time in lounge chat, which is an IRC server hosted through Hanon’s website under a special sub-domain, which requires you to create a separate user account, using a secret passkey HIDDEN IN ONE OF HIS GAMES.

What an amazing method of hosting lounge chat!

(EDIT: Wait, is it okay if I post this as a bit, or was I actually not supposed to give away this info? Don’t we have a thread detailing how to access this chat server, and what game the passkey and URL are hidden in? Idk how anyone would reasonably figure it out. Probably would have taken me a few months, if @AmandaB hadn’t given me hints.)

FOR LEGAL REASONS: THIS WAS A JOKE TO ADD CHAFF AROUND THE IDEA OF LOUNGE CHAT. THERE IS NO IRC SERVER.

8 Likes

Went out for that yearly chore of buying a new calendar for the fridge. I was hoping to find something like the Space one I found last year (Hubble pics, they were SO pretty), but they didn’t have any :frowning:
I found one with pretty landscapes (taken in portrait mode). On the front page, it was written MOTHER NATURE in all caps. I got excited it was yelling at me :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I saw and advertisement for a new calendar on space.com

It may have been a popup? (I visit a lot of space sites.)

1 Like

… it’s a sign!

2 Likes

I just hope it’s clear A: intfiction.org is not my website and B: that was a bit and people don’t come after me going “Where is your IRC channel server???” You posted this here right, and not like on some Discord I don’t know about? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Live chat and public chat channels are currently a perk for Forum Regulars. In most every case, the forum software automatically decides when you are worthy - you can’t just make an account and get into the chat unless there are special circumstances. Anyone here who’s not been in trouble can gain access by visiting the forum frequently over a few months, reading and posting and replying and participating on a regular basis.

9 Likes

Yeah the chaff joke here was supposed to be that you hosted a website separate from intfiction.org, specifically to upload your games lol.

5 Likes

subtly presses button under desk that re-closes the hungry weasel cage and disarms the lava-pit spring trap door…which are definitely resources I have access to on this forum as an Admin…

11 Likes

Hungry weasel? Wasn’t it a hungry mongoose?

4 Likes

Dang, I thought it was a hungry badger. Maybe he’s got all three?

2 Likes

(Just crossed out the whole IRC idea and added a disclaimer. Sorry for anyone who got excited about that being a possibility! It’s not! Never gonna happen! Completely fake!)

1 Like

Snagged my (current) favourite seat in the building again. Tomorrow I have an online class in the morning, but it would be a good idea to wake up at the same time I expect to have to be up for the weeks it alternates to being in person, even if I will be very grumpy. Got more organizational and prep work done than I expected to today, including booking some important appointments, so today has been nice. I’m going to repaint my nails and relax for a bit, try to get some writing done.

6 Likes

I love it when this happens.

There was one guy who was in a lot of the same classes I was in, and was weirdly-territorial, except I wasn’t taking his seat; he kept specifically finding mine to take it before I showed up.

I didn’t really mind (because my life was really chaotic at the time, so it was hardly a scratch on the day), but he was making an effort to mess up my seating routine to bother me. Like, my dude, you can have them, if they’re so important to you! Luckily the lecture spaces he did this in were small enough that the professor was clearly understandable from any seat at all.

3 Likes

I personally love classes with no assigned seating arrangements. People always manage to assign themselves a permanent seat anyway. As a younger man, I would often show up to these classes early to pick a different desk at random each time. Someone get the popcorn. :popcorn: (Although, I didn’t single people out, thats aggro and weird.)

4 Likes

I miss going to college and classes…

2 Likes

My favorite seat in school was the one left-handed desk they put in each classroom. And there was always competition from the few other lefties. I would show up an hour early on exam day so I could grab the good desk, because it’s awful to sit writing for an hour while twisted the wrong way. What’s wrong with tables? What’s up with those school desks? We still had them in graduate school and they were just as evil then as they were in the 4th grade.

6 Likes

What… We had tables and removable chairs when I was a kid. Either single person table or for two students. Like a boring rectangle

3 Likes