What's one positive/neutral thing that's happened today?

Learned that Git has private repo… and that I could commit changes directly from VSCode…
Guess who’s backing up all my projects tomorrow?

7 Likes

After a month of work in January, I was about halfway through – then I took some time off from it in February to help with some testing for some folks’ SeedComp and Spring Thing games which wound up taking more time than I thought it would, and then in March we lost our child care and everyone in my family got norovirus so there hasn’t been much progress since then due to [gestures at omnishambles]. Looking forward to getting back to it though, I think there’s some fun stuff in there – and plus being able to get back to it will mean said omnishambles has turned into a plain old partishambles.

12 Likes

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 1.36.07 AM

Roleplaying Hekeziah (‘Zeke’) the kitty was the best idea ever because it means I get to make silly side commentary like this with cute kitten gifs in the OOC channel for Butterfly Court. He was a very cute babycat and got worried about Esme when she was on fire (magical, part of a stage performance she was dancing) so he hopped on stage to come comfort her. :sob:

Also, I put Joel in a ridiculous healer outfit, which made me giggle. Deciding on a magical signature for each of my little meowmeows and how it feels when they use their powers has been really fun! (Enoch’s is all effervescent and wintry cold, Nicholas’ smells like blood, Aurora/Rory’s is all over the place and chaotically uncontrolled, Joel’s is warm like sunlight and tastes like violets, and so on…) Also decided on Rory’s singing voice.

4 Likes

Yes, yes she was. Alexa, play “Girl on Fire” by Alicia Keys.
My positive thing of today is also Butterfly Court RP shenanigans-related. It’s always a blast when our senses of humor collide in the best ways. I really love the “yes, and” energy of the whole thing. One more thing for my Goncharov Gratitude list. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I also filled up with a new ink (my very first shimmer!) that was a gift. It took a little bit of workshopping and finagling to get a satisfying flow and saturation, but the tinkering made the satisfaction that much sweeter. I’m looking forward to trying out the same ink on a few different papers to see how it reacts as well.

5 Likes

Whirls past with jazz-hands and pull-starts the fog machine.

7 Likes

Emily Short kinda solved it in Inform:

1 Like

The player is now able to push objects off of shelves in cat mode for my SpringThing game.

This was a crucial gameplay feature that could not wait for post-comp, I promise.

9 Likes

>PUSH CAT OFF SHELF

Glad you’re getting the crucial stuff done.

2 Likes

Oh, you have no idea…!

2 Likes

I realized that my plushie looks super cute with one of my scrunchies on him as an accessory.

I got given a Kinder Bueno bar as a little meowmeow treatie last night, so I’m going to break into that after I have breakfast to go alongside my coffee.

6 Likes

I expected most of my students to be gone by yesterday, since everyone leaves early for spring break, so I covered all the exam-relevant material earlier in the week and left Friday free. I ended up digging out some air-drying clay, searching the local Asian restaurants to find chopsticks with square ends instead of round ones, and taught the remaining students the basics of cuneiform.

Once they’d had some practice, I asked them to think about why people used this writing system for thousands of years. It feels difficult and complicated: what benefits does it have? Why were those benefits more important than the drawbacks, in ancient Mesopotamia? What is our current writing system optimized for, and why are those things important for us?

It was a fun time. Though my handwriting is atrocious, since I’ve been spending so long working on ways to typeset it instead:

“1-da-ni-él iš-te-él-ša-ar”; the 1 at the beginning indicates that what follows is a person’s name.

14 Likes

I haven’t had macaroni salad in like, a couple of months at least now, (maybe since last summer?) and I’m going hogwild right now.

4 Likes

WE CONCLUDED THE GONCHAROV TTRPG CAMPAIGN AND NO MAJOR CHARACTERS DIED! Joel really came through in carrying the plot along. Basically: Valery thought that he had successfully killed Goncharov and went back to Yugoslavia, Katya and Sofia ran off to Toronto with Joel and the Devereaux mafia and were happily ever after in love, Goncharov is abandoned by his wife, employer, and friends, and Andrey disappears into the backwaters of the narrative like the espion he always was. Joel, the so called ‘one good man in Naples’ saves the day for the girls. None of the main cast died in the greatest mafia mewvie ever made… we’re so good at being so bad at genre convention adherence. Even with Goncharov’s 3 close encounters with rolling for death saves.

Next week we get to meet Manon’s version of Razac for the Butterfly Court TTRPG and I’m doing a silly little happy cat dance about it.

7 Likes

I would be honored. Your lips to God’s ears.

7 Likes

I made a cool tower out of blocks for my son, then realized I could balance this little gnome we have at the very tippy-top, which was great because 1) my son deeply enjoyed knocking it over, and 2) the whole setup prompted me to recall that there’s a specific term for a hermit who lives on top of a pillar and doesn’t come down (he - and let’s be real, it’s a he - is called a stylite).

9 Likes

I’ll have a go…

-The marks are an intuitive way to write numbers and do simple addition/subtraction. Mathematics inspired writing in many ancient writing cultures, the first examples often being trade transactions.
-Papyrus/parchment/vellum were way too labour intensive and valuable for daily use or weren’t developed yet. Stone is hard, heavy and difficult to mark (and perhaps not readily available in Mesopotamia). Clay is everywhere (Two rivers and fertile soil. Must mean there’s clay around somewhere.). It allows for easy marking and can be erased and reused when soft or kept in a permanent record of sorts when baked.
-Clay doesn’t allow for fluent marking. Straight lines are easier to draw and easier to read. Curves will probably have deformations making them difficult to interpret.
-While expert writers will have had their personal stylus, pens are everywhere on the reedbanks of the river or in the form of tough grass/grain stems. Their hollow-pointedness combined with the soft surface of clay causes the specific nail-like appearance of the markings.

How’s that? Probably missing a bunch of factors, but this is what came into my head when I read your post.

5 Likes

If I had a nickel for every word I’ve learned referring to a specific type of hermit who self-imposes an extremely restrictive living situation (anchorite and now stylite!), I’d have 10 cents. which is not a lot, but is more than zero or five cents!

9 Likes

My oh my I laughed so hard I am crying… I am going to blatantly steal this quote from Sun Tzu (copyright no doubt expired by now) to incorporate as a custom response. Thank you for brightening my day.

7 Likes

You’ve got a lot of them! Clay is everywhere, and marking it like this—pressing a stylus down into the surface, instead of “drawing” with it—means you don’t make a mess of your surface. So it’s actually a lot faster than trying to “draw” on the clay. (If you try dragging the point of a pencil through clay, you’ll see your lines get very messy as displaced clay piles up on the edges.)

It’s also extremely space-efficient, and space-efficiency was more important than time-efficiency: when you’re trying to carry pieces of clay across the whole known world without them breaking, you want them to be as small as possible! The empires that used cuneiform could support a class of scribes whose entire job was to read and write, but even then, evidence suggests that “fluent reading” (scanning a line of text only once and getting all the words on it as you go) wasn’t possible with cuneiform; reading it was a whole process. But the scribes taking a few more minutes to decipher the text is a lot better than the tablet breaking in transit and needing to be re-sent.

As a side benefit, the system lets the individual scribe decide how they want to trade off between clarity and space-efficiency. You can write every word in the language with just a couple dozen signs if you want (the phonetic signs, which encode sounds), but it’ll take at least five or six signs per word. If you instead let yourself use all the hundreds of signs available (the logographic signs, which encode whole words), it’ll be harder to read, but need only one sign per word. Certain types of documents, like books about magic and divination, could be written with 90% logograms—very space-efficient, and as a side benefit, completely inscrutable to anyone without the proper training!

7 Likes

Then they would have had to invent TCP! Unless it was streaming data, of course. But in that case, it would need to be easily decodable, which you said wasn’t true.

3 Likes